Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Refrigerators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-05-2020, 08:12 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
1961 24' Tradewind
Strasburg , Pennsylvania
Creating more ventilation in a 1964 Bambi II fridge compartment

The fridge access doors on the old Bambi II are solid. I recreated the Airstream of 1964's floor hole and chimney through the roof for ventilation, but she still had trouble venting all the heat. My solution was to make interchangeable, louvered access doors to mix and match with the originals to get more air in the box.

After a pretty exhaustive online search for louvered vents in stainless steel or aluminum, I came across Austin Hardware which offers a 6" x 10" stainless steel louvered vent panel. The part number is 6304SS and they cost $27 plus shipping for two.

Mating these to two pieces of scrap aluminum sheet I had laying around (pre-polished) with some SS hardware that looks like rivets from two feet away and adding some strengthening ribs in the back, along with some cam locks picked up at the local hardware store and modified (shortening the lock lever to match the Airstream catches), created what I needed.

I put both of the louvered panels in at the campsite. This past week while traveling, I kept the original lower solid door in place so the LP flame would not blow out from too much air and placed a louvered panel up top. This seemed to help the fridge keep temperature even on a HOT travel day.

$27.06
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fridge-doors-for-web-3.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	372015   Click image for larger version

Name:	fridge-doors-for-web-2.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	372016  

Click image for larger version