Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Refrigerators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-12-2005, 08:56 AM   #1
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Continuing refrigerator woes

I can't find where I previously posted my refrigerator problems, but I'm still fighting with the refrigerator in my 2005 Classic 28.

A little history: It worked great when I bought the trailer at the International rally and towed it home. My next trip was to St Louis, and the refrigerator apparently blew its ammonia somewhere between Memphis and St Louis. Couldn't get a replacvement there, so we came home using dry ice. My dealer ordered a replacement, but that box was dropped on a corner by the shipper. The second replacement was installed and worked great on AC, but didn't cool well at all on gas during my Eureka Springs trip. On the last evening of the trip, AC operation failed as well.

Back to the dealer and they installed a new heater element and a new gas valve. Picked up the trailer the morning I was leaving for a short rally and AC operation works great, but it still doesn't work well on propane.

On the way home, both the fridge and the propane WH (left on idadvertently) went into check. I found the street-side tank totally empty, but the regulator had not switched over. i.e. I have a bad regulator which may very well explain some of the refrigerator woes. There was a lot of propane odor around the regulator, as well.

I suspect a ruptured diaphragm in the reguator. I will remove the regulator and take it to the dealer rather than tow the trailer over there once again.

I'm hoping that a working regulator just might solve the refrigerator problem.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 10:59 AM   #2
Remember Burma Shave!

2006 19' Safari
2000 25' Safari
1985 25' Sovereign
Fort Myers , SW.Florida
Rivet Very interesting ...

John,

I feel for you ... and your mis-adventures with the reefer.

If they test the old regulator, I would be interested in knowing what the discharge side line pressure is // and also the discharge line pressure of the new requlator.

I seem to have various and sundry difficulties with one of my reefers. The information you provide may assist me in trouble-shooting. Your stories don't give me a lot of hope that buying a new unit will be any better than what I've got now.

Please keep us informed.
NORM #3305

"... there is nothing you can't fix yourself ...
... if you're handy ...
... with a check book! ..."
driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 03:13 PM   #3
Contributing Member

One, two, three, testing.

They just took my word for it and didn't test the old regulator. I have the new regulator installed and the fridge is running on gas overnight. I seem to have a much better flame than before I changed the regulator.

I installed the LED taillight modification this afternoon. Wow! are those turn and brake lights ever bright. I didn't have any sealent with me, so I'm going to have to go back and tip each light out to caulk around where the wires exit the plastic back tub. Those wire holes go straight into the between-skin insulation.
WBCCI #9632
Old 09-12-2005, 04:15 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
John,

Out of curiosity, what brand/model number LPG regulator is Airstream using these days?

Thanks,
Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 07:02 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Austin , Central Texas
LED taillights

Where did you obtain you LED taillights? Brand? Other? Any advise here?
FlyFishInn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 09:15 PM   #6
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomW
John,

Out of curiosity, what brand/model number LPG regulator is Airstream using these days?

Thanks,
Tom
Sorry, I didn't look at the package and it has already been put in the garbage.
WBCCI #9632
Old 09-12-2005, 09:16 PM   #7
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyFishInn
Where did you obtain you LED taillights? Brand? Other? Any advise here?
I ordered them through my Airstream dealer. There is another thread with the part numbers if you will do a search.
WBCCI #9632
Old 09-13-2005, 06:20 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Austin , Central Texas
I am going to see our dealer tomorrow. They are taking care of a few of my wishlist items.

Thank you.
FlyFishInn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 06:33 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Pahaska
Talk about refer madness, you have lived it. Hope the new regulator works out for you.
On the water heater you really must keep the tank full of water just incase it's turned on by accident. Our new Airstream had the AC bathroom switch in backward so when the switch was in the off position it was really ON. Fortunally the switch was bad and never had a chance to ruin the water heater. Best of luck on the fridge, you deserve it.
Tinsel Loaf is offline   Reply With Quote