Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Refrigerators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-03-2010, 03:05 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Atlanta , Georgia
Cleaning the Flue

I've searched and read and searched and read some more and I still have a few questions with which I hope someone can help. I have a 78 Argosy MOHO with an original Dometic Refer that based on the dials runs off of LP, 12V and Elec. I have never been able to get the Elec to work and I assume the 12v is the same story (although I can't tell how it would be wired for 12V; it may have been an option that was not installed?). The LP works fine, but I notice some rust dust accumulating at the bottom of the flame box and I assume I need to clean the flue. Well, I can't figure out if there a way to clean the flue with removing the refer. Some say you can but give no details and others discuss removing the refer which goes well beyond my ability. I've tried to remove the refer, but I cannot figure out how it is attached and I just don't feel comfortable disconnecting the LP, elec., etc.. So my questions are:
  • Can I clean the flue without removing the refer?
  • If so, how is this best done?
  • I have noticed an exhaust smell while the refer is running on LP. Is there an explanation for the smell and a way the I can get it to vent better?
The exhaust odor is dangerous and my main concern. I think that the flue is the root of my problems, but I'm at a total loss. I know I'm throwing a lot out there, but any help that is geared for the technically challenged would be great. Thanks!
todbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 05:44 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Atlanta , Georgia
I should also add that I looked on the cover of the chimney and there seemed to be no debris and or critter buildup that would prevent the fumes from exiting the chimney. Also, the wall that is adjacent to the refrigerator is loose and does not for a tight seal, so I have wondered if some fumes get in through there. Where I notice the most fumes is in the cabinet directly above the refrigerator. Hope those extra details help! Thanks in advance for any advice.
Old 10-05-2010, 04:40 PM   #3

1972 29' Ambassador
Scobey , Montana
plugged flue

Sorry have no answer but the same problem. Am new here and having. a difficult time with the site. If you get an answer would appreciate a reply to wware@nemont.net. Thanks much
walterw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 04:49 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Antlers , Oklahoma
Which refer do you have. I do not have a moho but I did a search (google search) and found alot of items about this problem. Here is just one http://www.airforums.com/forums/f425...ing-60724.html

2006 GMC 1500 SLE Crew Cab
5.3L V8 Towing Package
Equal-i-zer E2

AIR # 40365
TAC # OK-3
mwells4654 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 04:52 PM   #5

1972 29' Ambassador
Scobey , Montana
plugged flue

My 72 dometic does not seem to have a pilot but rather a high low main flame only. Does anyone know about this?
walterw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 08:42 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Atlanta , Georgia
I saw the thread about using the coathanger as well as one about a bottle brush. Andy's reply is not very specific about where you access removing the spiral and if the Fridge has been removed from the cabinet. I guess I am trying to confirm that in order to remove the spiral and clean the flue you have to remove the Fridge. I'll get the refer model number and post it here as well. I suppose I am just going to have to overcome my fear of disconnecting LP lines and try to figure out how to unscrew the fridge and get it out. I just had hoped to avoid removing the fridge...I'm handy, but plumbing and gas lines are the two things I never want to mess with.
Old 10-05-2010, 10:40 PM   #7
x

XXXX , XXXX
Todbot I'm not sure about moho's but a/s trailers had the fridges attached to the exterior walls with brackets. These brackets can only be accessed by removing the interior bulkhead beside the fridge. Given that the 12VDC and the 110VAC selections of the fridge are not working and you are having difficulties with the propane system and exhaust problems maybe you should have a qualified shop service and repair your fridge.
As mwells says google search here will be your best friend for locating threads on specific issues.
Walterw the 72 model does not have a pilot light. For that matter the newer models with direct spark ignition don't have one either. Only water heaters and furnaces have pilot lights because they have main burners to ignite. The fridge has only the one burner.
Todbot If you are going to disconnect the gas line use two wrenches. One to hold the fitting and the other to loosen the flare nut otherwise you stand to break the fitting. Once it is reconnected leak test the fitting with a soapy solution and look for bubbles to indicate a leak. The best thing you could do is to have a qualified RV tech to a leak test on the entire propane system though.
wasagachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 09:12 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Antlers , Oklahoma
I took my TT to the local LP Gas shop and they pressured tested the whole trailer - tightened what needed to be tightened and charged me nothing. Took about a hour but it was time very well spent.

2006 GMC 1500 SLE Crew Cab
5.3L V8 Towing Package
Equal-i-zer E2

AIR # 40365
TAC # OK-3
mwells4654 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 07:04 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Atlanta , Georgia
Thanks everyone. The mechanic I have used in the past has been great and has worked on the fridge before. I never had him clean the flue, but it seems it's time to do that to one I get the winter oils change. I know it's time to get a new fridge but it cools nicely and runs well on propane. I've never worried too much about the electric working since I prefer the propane. Thanks again...if anyone knows how to clean the flue without removing the fridge let me know as I'd eventually like to be able to this on my own every year! I love these forums...everyone is so helpful.

Tags
dometic, flue, cleaning