Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Refrigerators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-21-2020, 07:26 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2018 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Check light on fridge

We have a 23’ FC 23FB. Before a trip, the trailer is plugged in at home. Then we put in store mode and drive to our destination. Once there, we connect to shore power (if available) and turn on propane. The fridge is set to auto.

The last two trips I noticed that the “check” light was illuminated after connecting to power and turning on propane. If I manually turn the fridge off and on again, the auto light illuminates and the fridge starts working again.

Is this expected behavior? Seems like in auto mode the fridge should be able to detect when plugged in and automatically use electricity. My understanding is the check light goes on when the fridge tries to connect to propane but can’t. Thanks.
switters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 07:34 AM   #2
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Not unusual when set on 'auto' after plugging in.

Disclaimer....I rarely use the reefer on AC.

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 10-21-2020, 09:11 AM   #3
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
My guess is that the propane line had air in it and the flame did not light on the first attempt. When you tried it again, propane was in the line and it ignited. This happens to me and is nothing to be concerned about, IMO.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 12:48 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2018 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Ok, thanks. I’ll just add checking the lights in the fridge and turning off/on if necessary to my arrival checklist. Not a big deal, just wanted to make sure this doesn’t point to another, larger issue.
switters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 11:14 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Fernandina Beach , FL
AC Propane

This is a very common action - as noted above, the propane can develop an air pocket when not used for a while or when switching tanks.

Typically when this happens, the frig will start up just fine, but after a few minutes, the LED indicator will start flashing. Turn the frig off, start it again and it should work fine. It take a couple of on/off sequences if there is a lot of air in the system.
Bob Peahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 12:42 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2023 27' International
Waynesville , Missouri
Air in Propane Line

I agree with the other posters so far. I've had the same issue. It's no problem. A little hint for you. After turning on the propane tanks I go into the camper, grab my candlestick lighter, and get my propane stove fired up....both burners. You'll see what I mean. It's taken a few minutes sometimes to purge out the air. Once both burners are running, shut them down and turn on the auto-ignited propane devices as you want. The lines are purged enough for them to ignite on the first cycle. I figure the stove burners are primitive enough to not get hurt by trying to ignite them without any fuel in the lines yet. Unsubstantiated opinion, but it works.
DAVSCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 01:13 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2016 22' Sport
2018 25' International
Chino Hills , California
We bring the trailer home from storage to load for upcoming trip .Then I do this simple procedure for clearing lines. Make sure the trailer is not plugged into shore electrical power.
1-Propane tanks on,
2-light one burner on the stove and shut it off.
3-Then go to the refrigerator and turn it on, you’ll hear a snapping sound of the igniter. It may go off. Wait until you hear the snapping sound stop and you hear the gas turn on.
4-Then I leave the refrigerator on propane for 30 minutes.
5-I plug the trailer in and it switches over to electrical automatically.
Luke Grisott is offline   Reply With Quote