Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Refrigerators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-26-2019, 06:19 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Tarrytown , Georgia
Cheap Dometic Refrigerator Shelving in 2020 Globetrotter

Hi all,
We’ve had our 2020 GT 27FBT about 4 months now and my initial fears about the cheap refrigerator shelves are playing out. Just a bit frustrated with the “eclectic” mix of really good and really cheap quality you get with Airstreams. Has anyone else had problems with the refrigerator shelves sagging or breaking? We never had an issue in our Grey Wolf refrigerator but it has metal wire shelves. Are there metal shelf options available for the GT refrigerator? See linked video

https://youtu.be/4zneg3g_OwM
Lamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 07:22 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
2020 27' Globetrotter
Chicago , Illinois
Agree..don't like cheap plastic either! This refrigerator is my least favorite item in the Globetrotter. It has a smaller freezer and has plastic shelving throughout.
Probably need to call Dometic for metal shelf replacements.

Dometic RV Division
1120 North Main Street
Elkhart, IN 46515
+1 574-264-2131
Pickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 12:52 PM   #3

2019 27' Globetrotter
Hermosa Beach , California
Did you find any solutions? I just ordered 2 new shelves and a new door bin for our 2019 Globetrotter from AirSteam in Orange County because our cheap ones broke. I went to pick them up and they were $580. That in NUTS. We've had terrible luck with lack of customer service there. Does anyone have a better solution. We already tossed our old ones and needless to say, I wanted to explore other ideas before spending so much.
Kim Lyons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2023, 08:44 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2020 23' Globetrotter
Long Beach , California
Reviving this thread a bit - the "sagging" in the video linked above in ours resulted in it cracking in half.

Here's a link to a replacement for the part that broke on ours - $159.

I'd just pay that and move on, but I'd rather pay for a wire shelf replacement that won't crack again. This site has custom size wire shelves for about $60, but one difference is the thickness and the tabs that stick out (which I assume are to let you pull the shelf out. I'm OK with the shelf being fixed in the fridge, I wonder what I would use to hold it in place?
wayne b is offline   Reply With Quote