Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Refrigerators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-27-2010, 07:47 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1959 26' Overlander
nevada , Nevada
changing fridge vent

Have noticed a lot of airstreams with two side vents for the fridge. I assume these were not original? I installed a new dometic fridge but the exhaust flows throughout the top cabinets before leaving through the roof vent. this doesnt seem safe to me. open a cabinet door and get a wiff of exhaust.

seems like a big chore to build a secondary wall all the way up. do most people throw in the towel and and block off the top and and seal the top of the fridge and then cut a hole in the side and install a vent.
wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 09:30 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1993 30' Excella
Lakeland , Florida
Thumbs down Older Fridge Setup

[QUOTE=wolfpack;887722]Have noticed a lot of airstreams with two side vents for the fridge. I assume these were not original? I installed a new dometic fridge but the exhaust flows throughout the top cabinets before leaving through the roof vent. this doesnt seem safe to me. open a cabinet door and get a wiff of exhaust.

Take pictures of what you have so we can lend assistance. Hacking away at the shell is a dicey proposition.
arcamedies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 10:06 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Sounds like you're missing a piece of the original fridge vent. It should not be venting into the back of the cabinets before going out the roof - it should be completely sealed so no exhaust can get into the interior space.

Yes, pics would help.
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 11:14 AM   #4
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Under certain conditions you can use two side vents. I don't know the exact conditions (minumum separation between the vents for good draft) but I remember seeing it in the installation manual for my new Dometic.

In any event, if you do the side vents, I would put in a fan or two to help the air flow.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 11:21 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
Folsom , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minno View Post
Sounds like you're missing a piece of the original fridge vent. It should not be venting into the back of the cabinets before going out the roof - it should be completely sealed so no exhaust can get into the interior space.

Yes, pics would help.

In 59 and at least 60 (and probably before) they litterally depended on the fact that heat rises and didn't enclose the flu. Most just had a little aluminum "flap/shed" above the combustion air outlet in the shared cabin airspace, not even inside a cabinet.

Aluminumbskull with Led Balloon in Drag
Birch Plywood and Aluminum go together like
Peanut Butter and Chocolate
MarkR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 12:54 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Eureka Springs , Arkansas
Our coach had been modified for commercial display use with the refr. and cabinet removed.
I built a new cabinet to house the ref.
My RV mech made a point to tell me to seal cabinet/sidewall joints to keep fumes and hot air in the cavity. The cabinet I built is similar dimensions to stock, with door at top. I did put a removable panel at the top to access vent clean out, per mechanics recommendation. Entire refr. space is now sealed.

I don't see how a vent in the side would help much as I would think a lot of hot air would still flow up to the ceiling.

I would check into modifying the cabinetry to enclose that space, and install proper venting.
triplenet is offline   Reply With Quote