Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Refrigerators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-12-2012, 05:14 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Can I run a frig without its fan?

We just bought a 2007 Safari SE 23' (full-featured-celebratory-picture-laden thread coming later). While checking out all of the systems, the refrigerator cooling fan literally went up in smoke. That's bad.

I'm ordering a Silenx IXP 74-14 to replace this. But in the time being, can I remove the fan, wire nut the wires, and simply have a less-efficient frig? It's not all that hot in New England right now.

This new decadent trailer is very nice, but golly, vintage sure is simpler...

Thanks
Tom
mutcth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 05:47 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2001 16' Bambi
2013 23' International
Piedmont Region , North Carolina
When I got my Bambi it didn't have a fan and the fridge worked fine, just less efficient as you mentioned. The fan and compartment insulation that I installed fixed that problem. Unless the fridge itself has a problem I see no reason not to use it.

Congrats on the new trailer !!!!
tinbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 06:37 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2000 19' Bambi
mt. Prospect , Illinois
You only need the fan in high heat conditions. It has an on/off switch, right? I don't know if some trailers have thermal switches that would turn the fan on, but you probably don't need to run it if it isn't hot enough to run the a/c. Of course, that could be next week, with the goofy weather we've had this year.
robert claus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 07:09 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Congratulations Tom on acquiring your 23' 2007 Safari SE!

If your Safari is like mine, it did not come from the factory with an on/off switch for the refrigerator fan.

The fan comes on and off depending on the temperature of the air in the backside of the refrigerator.

The refrigerator runs more efficiently with a fan.

On hot days, we found an additional way to help the refrigerator run more efficiently... we initially propped the top refrigerator vent door open using a clothespin... we now prop both upper and lower doors open using clothes hangers on hot days.

Additionally, there are times when we want the option to keep the fan from coming on, such as at night when sleeping or when doing non-hook-up camping to save battery power... So we installed an on/off switch.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0104 Refrig Fan Switch.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	319.4 KB
ID:	158166  
SilverGate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 07:25 PM   #5
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
The ammonia and hydrogen based cooling unit is designed to function on ambient air currents within the cabinetry as built. The double side door design on the smaller trailers is more restrictive than the flue on top design so the fan can be quite beneficial in Bambis. However, its presence and operation is not required since the fan is only meant to assist with vertical air movement over the condenser fins and absorber when the outside temperature exceeds 90 degrees.

Wire caps will do until you remount a replacement.

I have the Silenx fans mounted in my trailer. You do not have to worry about listening to them as mine are rated at 14db and you can't hear them unless you have your ear within a few inches (and your head in the bay). With the access panel closed, no one will know they are running. The other really nice feature is the extremely low amperage draw at 0.02Ah.
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 11:08 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Thanks everyone. Now I know that if I can't fix this before our debut Memorial Day weekend trip, we can still use it.

Hopefully I'll replace the fan before then. So much to do....

Tom