RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 10-22-2020, 02:51 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
albany , Georgia
Brittle drain line replaced.

Just had to remove fridge freezer to replace the drain line that had totally disintegrated. Noe way of doing it from the outside or inside. Itís positioned in the 25 ft TT.
What a job that was, four screws on the front and two bolts in the back. The two front bottom screws had rusted badly. Got one out using a removal tool, the second broke the head off. Drills, die grinder and even a Dremmel would not shift it. Had to use a center punch to drive it down and out of the way.
Even when out there was little space to work easily and replace the tube.
Anyhow, if you have a spare half an hour get those two bottom screws out and replaced with some stainless steel ones. Your drain line is going to disintegrate sooner than later, doing the bottom screws now will make the job a lot easier.
What could have been an hour job ended up taking three and a half. At least it gave me a chance to clean the coils, they needed it for sure.
So get at it......
jmpgino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 04:00 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpgino View Post
Just had to remove fridge freezer to replace the drain line that had totally disintegrated. Noe way of doing it from the outside or inside. Itís positioned in the 25 ft TT.
What a job that was, four screws on the front and two bolts in the back. The two front bottom screws had rusted badly. Got one out using a removal tool, the second broke the head off. Drills, die grinder and even a Dremmel would not shift it. Had to use a center punch to drive it down and out of the way.
Even when out there was little space to work easily and replace the tube.
Anyhow, if you have a spare half an hour get those two bottom screws out and replaced with some stainless steel ones. Your drain line is going to disintegrate sooner than later, doing the bottom screws now will make the job a lot easier.
What could have been an hour job ended up taking three and a half. At least it gave me a chance to clean the coils, they needed it for sure.
So get at it......
Hmmm, my 2007 drain is pex from a few inches above the fridge compartment floor all the way through the belly pan skin.

Now, the a/c drain is clear tubing. when you replace that one, let us know how you did it.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 10:12 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
albany , Georgia
Well if you have pex pipe there, someone has been in there after it was originally installed at the plant.
Since ours is five years younger than yours, you must have bought it used and the previous owner/owners did that. There must be connectors involved and they would be visible from the back.
Anyhow with pex pipe you will never need to replace that stuff, a bit of overkill but certainly a good replacement.
Old 10-23-2020, 10:29 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpgino View Post
Well if you have pex pipe there, someone has been in there after it was originally installed at the plant.
Since ours is five years younger than yours, you must have bought it used and the previous owner/owners did that. There must be connectors involved and they would be visible from the back.
Anyhow with pex pipe you will never need to replace that stuff, a bit of overkill but certainly a good replacement.
I did buy used at 3 years old. But I have seen other pics. Its oem. It's a classic. Maybe that's the difference.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 10-23-2020, 10:33 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Here's the routing. Click image for larger version

Name:	20170116_164142.jpeg
Views:	4
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	381579Click image for larger version

Name:	20170116_164422.jpeg
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	381580Click image for larger version

Name:	20170116_164636.jpeg
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	381581Click image for larger version

Name:	20170116_164722.jpeg
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	381586

Old 10-23-2020, 12:59 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
albany , Georgia
Yes that installation is factory done but the black corrugated pipe entering the pex pipe is what I had to replace. Mine is routed to the aluminum door and it drips out over the side, it has a bug trap drain end. As much trouble as the factory went to I would have thought they would replace the Dometic pipe and install something like what I have installed.
Don’t play with that pipe because at that age it will crumble and crack away like a taco. Although it does look better than mine did, the heat down here is brutal on plastic.
Aside that I have spent the morning installing a back up camera, used an aluminum bracket I welded up up until now. I attached it to the rear window morning arms, got sick of putting it on and off, so now it’s on permanently. Fishing wire is always an adventure, this time it was a nightmare. Need to get the wife to produce something to cover the camera when it’s not in use now.
Happy days, off down to the beach next week, so getting jobs done.
Old 10-23-2020, 01:03 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
albany , Georgia
Forgot to mention one thing, I am installing a 12 volt thermostat controlled fan in the back of the fridge cabinet. Going to have it pointing up the coils to force air up the chimney. It will make things much more efficient once installed.
Got some stainless steel to bend for a holding bracket, to angle the fan up.
Old 10-23-2020, 01:06 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Oh, ok. My corrugated end up at the fridge is pretty easily reached without moving anything.
What did you use for the replacement material?

Old 10-24-2020, 08:43 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
albany , Georgia
Reinforced PVC pipe, I wanted to install an L joint at the top but is was so tight up there I did not bother. Needed two people to connect the pipe, one inside pushing out on the fitting, otherwise when pushing the new pipe on from the outside you push the fitting in, it is not secured. Dometic used a zip tie to secure it, i clamped it on.
Right, I am off to do the fridge fan.
Old 10-24-2020, 08:38 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Milford , New Hampshire
This summer I faced the same brittle tube issue when cleaning the compartment and the tube fell apart. After struggling to move the fridge out a little I gave up and looked inside the fridge.

Using needle nose pliers I pulled the fitting out with the remains of the tubing. A trip to the hardware store where I bought a few few feet of flexible poly tubing that fit tightly over the tapered fitting.

Had to drill the insulation a little for the new tube. I fed a string thru the tube with a light weight on the end and pushed it thru from inside the fridge.
The weight dropped down and was used to guide the new tube to the bottom.
Pushed in the fitting, cut the new tube, installed the bug screen and clamp.

If I didn't try to move the fridge out the whole deal would have taken a 1/2 hour and a lot less swearing at AS.

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1070474.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	287.7 KB
ID:	381691

Name:	P1070472.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	123.4 KB
ID:	381692

Name:	P1070473.jpg
Size:	328.5 KB
ID:	381693

Name:	P1070475.jpg
Size:	238.0 KB
ID:	381694
NHdigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 08:22 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
albany , Georgia
Yes, thatís the same fitting as I had inside. I did not want to do what you did because it would not have allowed me to clamp the pipe onto the fitting. I was just too worried about it coming off and causing water damage. With the position that pipe is in, if it came off you would not know it. Expansion, contraction and bouncing up and down the road without a clamp would worry me.