Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Refrigerators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-23-2022, 09:48 AM   #21
Rivet Master

South East , Michigan
Instructions that came with my rig and absorption fridge explicitly stated "do not use a hair dryer or heat gun to defrost".

Restarting the fridge when warm and with warm contents will take a while. Refilling with already cold food will speed up the cool down significantly. So, I would plan to defrost when:
  1. I am planning on grocery shopping the next day (minimal existing food)
  2. I have filled all empty space in the freezer with water bottles or pop (so that have frozen.
  3. Filled empty space in fridge space with more water bottles or pop (soda) that have cooled down overnight.
I've found that Japaneses markets often have Styrofoam containers that they give away. They receive frozen food in them for sushi.
Old 03-23-2022, 11:02 AM   #22
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Adams Run , South Carolina
Supposed to adjust the thermistor up for colder or down on the fins for less cool. If you think it’s malfunctioning they’re pretty inexpensive.
Markhambryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 03:24 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
2006 31' Classic
2020 26' Flying Cloud
Lake Saint Louis , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1000pre View Post
We have been on the road for a little over two months now. I am noticing that the refrigerator fins are beginning to ice up. Is there a way to clear this off without compromising our food?
Details:
We don’t have a cooler, or have room for a cooler if purchased.
We are at a campsite with full hookups. I have been practicing running off of my batteries and solar only for the past couple weeks. Someone mentioned running off propane can be the issue.
I have the fridge set at #4
If you want to speed up the thawing process, fill a plastic storage container with hot water and place it in the freezer then close the door. This will significantly speed the process of thawing. The bigger the container, the better this works. Check the freezer after 30 minutes or so and change out the hot water. Based on my experience, you will probably be able to defrost in about 1.5 hours. This will be quick enough that food should not spoil if kept in a cool place. Good luck.
richarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 10:02 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
First, Yell Hurayyyy! that you have that problem and not a hot refrigerator. What a problem to have!
Maybe freeze a bunch of ice to put on the food.
Next, maybe put your food on the bed and cover it with all the bedding. With the ice and your frozen meat you're going to thaw out for dinner.
Now you can hose down your refrig and clean it and hose off the ice.
Put the food back in.
Make dinner with the thawing meat.
Done.

NevadaGeo
NevadaGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 07:57 PM   #25
Still Learning

2013 25' International
Benzonia , Michigan
Never have to defrost the fridge

The first owner of our trailer [we are second owner] installed a fridge fan. Don't know where it was purchased or who installed it, but it works fabulously. The fridge fins never ice up and food is uniformly cold throughout. Fridge is Dometic 7cf, separate freezer door, two way [propane & 110v] set on 3. Ours run on propane [except when moving down the road] most of the time because we are addicted to boondocking. Freezer keeps ice cubes and ice cream frozen. Fan is 12v, has a switch if you want to turn it off to save battery if boondocking, but uses few amps. We wipe out the fridge to clean as needed, still have to defrost the freezer of course. We traveled from October to March [on our way home now] and defrosted the freezer once during our trip, in December. Turn the fridge off, leave the fridge door closed, empty the contents of the freezer into the sink, put a folded blanket over the frozen stuff. In about 30-45 minutes, frost is easily slid off the freezer walls gently with a plastic scraper and in to a plastic bin. Mop up the water and wipe the freezer as dry as you can. The walls of the freezer are still pretty cold at this point, put the still-frozen stuff back in. Turn the fridge back on. Done.
Picture of fan attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fridge fan.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	191.7 KB
ID:	413495  
trailerKat is offline   Reply With Quote