Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-21-2024, 07:15 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Kingston , Washington
Another Refrigerator Not Working Right Thread

Okay. The Dometic refrigerator on our '05 Classic is not working right.

The last couple of days have been quite warm, into the mid- to upper-80's. I turned the cooling to the coldest setting (from second coldest) two days ago. Yesterday afternoon, the refrigerator temperature was 48F. I switched to gas operation last night thinking (hoping) the electric heating element is going bad. This morning the temperature is right around 40F in the refrigerator with outside temperature at 51F. I'm thinking there is something wrong with the refrigerator as at this setting in the past, the refrigerator temperature has been near freezing in the mornings.

The "check" light on the control panel is lit, but very dim (I doubt I will be able to see it when it gets lighter out). So now I'm thinking it might be the controller board.

This is the original 10 cubic foot absorption refrigerator for this trailer. It has worked flawlessly all these years even at temperatures into the 90's. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

David
10Smiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2024, 08:15 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1994 34' Excella
Warren , Manitoba
Check to make sure the thermister on the cooling fins inside the fridge has not been moved by accident first. If that has not happened, check for an odd odour and look for yellow/green powder inside the exterior fridge compartment. That indicates coil failure.
Check for good battery voltage, as 12 volts control the "brains" of the control boards. There is also a very good article "How to solve common RV fridge issues" on the internet.
ACI #7394
2012 GMC 2500 HD Duramax Denali
1994 Excella 34'
1987 Limited 34', 1976 31', 1976 Argosy 22' Gone to new homes
Hensley Hitch
CBWELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2024, 09:36 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Kingston , Washington
Thank you for the reply. Yes, the thermistor is mounted correctly, I checked that last night. Yes, I will check the voltage and review the website you mentioned.
Old 06-21-2024, 09:56 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Kingston , Washington
I read through the article. Good things to check.

One more data point, I put a thermometer in the freezer this morning, the temperature is three (3F)! The temperature in the refrigerator is maintaining right at 40F. So, the freezer part is working great and the refrigerator part is marginal. I will continue to monitor as the day warms up, right now it's 67F outside. Thank you again for the assistance.

BTW, we are just past one week on a four week camping trip.
Old 06-21-2024, 12:19 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 16' International CCD
Vintage Kin Owner
Somewhere , Colorado
Curious: with two (both 3cuft) Dometic absorption fridges our freezer temperatures have always been very cold and very steady, while our fridge temperatures have always been erratic. Right up to the time the first fridge failed the freezer was good.
field & stream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2024, 08:25 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1994 34' Excella
Warren , Manitoba
Do you have a fan inside the refrigerator section to move air. I have a double fan that clips on to the finn's and is wired into the hot side of the light, with a switche to turn it on or off. Got it from eBay. I also have 2 fans in the outside compartment mounted to blow air upwards over the ouside coils. They are not on a thermostat, but will be installing one next week so the will start/stop by themselves. One of the biggest problems I have found is getting good air circulation inside the fridge, especially when it is loaded full.
ACI #7394
1994 Excella 34'
Hensley Hitch
Old 06-22-2024, 06:32 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Kingston , Washington
Thank you all for the help. Yes, I do have a fan on the cooling fins in the refrigerator. The temperature in the refrigerator is 37F this morning with 55F outside. Seems pretty good. With yesterday's 87F outside temperature, the refrigerator got into the 50's. Too warm! I think the refrigerator is falling.
Old 06-22-2024, 06:56 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 16' International CCD
Vintage Kin Owner
Somewhere , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Smiles View Post
Thank you all for the help. Yes, I do have a fan on the cooling fins in the refrigerator. The temperature in the refrigerator is 37F this morning with 55F outside. Seems pretty good. With yesterday's 87F outside temperature, the refrigerator got into the 50's. Too warm! I think the refrigerator is falling.
Good chance your fridge is on its last legs, our 2007 fridge died a couple of years ago. Unless all-electric works for your travel/camping style, from my research I recommend rebuilding with a new cooling unit from these folks:
https://jc-refrigeration.com/

(I donít have first-hand experience because they donít make one for the small fridge that is in my 16í.)
field & stream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2024, 07:41 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1994 34' Excella
Warren , Manitoba
There is a good chance that the fridge is on it's last legs. A new cooling unit can be installed to extend the life of the unit. The fridge failed in my '94 and I looked at doing the cooling unit replacement, but then considered that the rest of the fridge could fail at any time and become a money pit, and in the end have to be replaced. At that time I decided to "bite the bullet" and just buy a new one. That was 5 years ago and have been trouble free since. It's a decision that you have to make, pouring money into an old unit, or replacing with a new unit.
ACI #7394
1994 Excella 34'
Hensley Hitch
Old 06-23-2024, 02:20 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Kingston , Washington
Okay, yesterday the refrigerator got up to 50F with 80F outside. I did put a battery powered cooling fan in the outside compartment in early afternoon. That seemed to help some getting it to cool down faster.

Now the question is what to do. We can get new absorption coils for about $850 that would extend the life of the refrigerator.

The other option is to get a new refrigerator. I am leaning that direction. We mostly camp in campgrounds with hookups, but do occasional dry camping. Concerned that a 12 volt refrigerator would be hard to keep going. We do have 400 Watts of solar on the roof and a portable solar connection. We also have 300 AH of lithium batteries along with a DC-DC charger.

Reading some of the reviews for the 12 volt refrigerators is disheartening, it seems that they are hit and miss if they are going to work or not. Also it seems that these units have a harder time keeping the freezer cold enough.

We have a portable Domestic powered cooler with two compartments, each with selectable temperature capability. It works great, we usually have one compartment set up as a refrigerator and the other as a freezer, we keep it in the truck for overflow from the trailer refrigerator. Why is it so hard to make a refrigerator that can maintain temperature?
Old 07-13-2024, 07:10 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2013 31' Classic
Crossville , Tennessee
Just saw your post. Dont know where you are camping or the positioning of your unit, however, one thing Ixve noticed through the years is, if my trailer is parked so the sun is against the outer wall of the sidebwherebthe fridge is mounted, then, the batural convection slows to no movement at all, thus, no absorption cooling.
Has your control clip on the cooling fins inside your unit been knocked off the fins by chance?
steelbird312 WBCCI #6673 jerry Hodge
2013 31" Classic limited
Have no intention of arriving at the grave safely, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, throttle in the other, totally worn out and screaming
"WOO HOO, WHAT A RIDE!"
steelbird312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2024, 06:57 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
Wow This post could not have come at a better time as I also have a similar issue with our refrigerator. We had no problem with the freezer however the refrigerator portion never appeared to get cold. Now it was extremely hot in the high nineties during the days, very humid and no shade on the AS. I had the refrigerator set on five and the coldest it got was in the low forties (41-43). Mostly at night. However there was ice on the fins and things appeared cold.
When I got home I emptied the refrigerator. I cleaned the outside fridge compartment. It was covered in pollen and some dust, Later I checked and the temp was at 37 degrees.

So not sure if the high temperature was caused by the excessive heat, food not cold when place in the refrigerator or just getting old
urnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2024, 07:25 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Kingston , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbird312 View Post
Has your control clip on the cooling fins inside your unit been knocked off the fins by chance?
No, that has been checked. I have it at the top of the fin, I believe that is the coldest setting position.

We are home now and considering our options. We did get two more Renogy 100 Watt solar panels that I just got installed on the trailer roof. That gives us 600 Watts of solar on the roof. We also have 200 Watts of portable panels, so we should be able to go hookup free continuously with the 2 kW generator as backup.

We are seriously considering purchasing a Vitrifrigo Slim 250 refrigerator. They are new to their lineup so are kind of hard to find. There is a Vitrifrigo dealer in SW Washington that is trying to get one for us.