Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Refrigerators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-03-2003, 08:28 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

65 Dometic Refrigerator, ignitor

I have a 1965 (gas only) Dometic refrigerator. It operates fine (once the flame is on). The flame starts very easily with a "Bic" type lighter. I have 2 used original flint ignitors. I have installed new flints in each of them. They each produce a white spark. Can anyone give me some tips on how to start the flame with the ignitor? I have concerns about how much raw gas needs to be present since it starts so easily with a "Bic" type lighter.

FYI: to start it with a "Bic" type lighter takes:

1) either a contortionist; safety switch is located at floor level under the refrigerator door inside, flame is at back of refrigerator

or

2) 2 people; one to hold the saftey switch, one to light the flame from outside

Thank you,
ChromeHome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2003, 06:07 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

Igniter !!

It takes a good number of flicks of the wrist to get it started with the igniter. You should be able to do it with only one person.

Drop the access door (Inside below the refer)... lay on your tummy ... with your left hand depress the pilot button, With your right hand ... spin the igniter spindle ... several times ... 3 or 4 ... to get good sparks ... she should fire up.

Same process can be done with a butane wand type lighter.

Make sure the all air has been purged from your propane lines....
(to each device).

DMC
airstreamcaravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2003, 06:33 PM   #3

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I also replaced the flint in my ignitor, and promptly decided it wasn't worth the trouble to sit there flicking it, which is very tiring if you haven't already got gas coming out. Then we learned to light the stove first, to get the gas through the system. After that we would light the fridge with one person inside and one outside lighting it through the access door. Just last week we had a battery powered ignitor added. It works very well, and if the flame blows out it will immediately attempt to light it again. I highly recommend it. It's also completely hidden, and easily reversable if you're worried about originality.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2003, 07:21 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

igniter

Stefrobrts,

Thank you for your reply. I would be interested in more information about your battery powered igniter. I tried a button type (used on a bbq grille). I did not have success with it either. I am not worried about the originality of my refrigerator igniter....function just over-road appearance (in an enclosed compartment). Could you post brand, source, how it is mounted, etc. Photos would be a bonus, if available. Is your refrigerator of similiar design?

Thanks
Old 11-03-2003, 08:55 PM   #5

1968 17' Caravel
I went out and snapped this picture of it. I couldn't get a picture of the ignitor on the other end, because there is an aluminum box around it to help keep the flame from blowing out, and it is screwed into place.

Here you can see the ignitor module. It has a 9v battery. There is a switch on it, and when I turn it on I can hear it sparking back by the burner. When it lights, it quits sparking. The tech simulated a flame out by turning the gass off at the valve just enough for the flame to go out, and it started sparking again, so when he opened the valve it lit right back up. We just have to remember to switch it off when we shut the system down.

On the front there is a sticker that says Mark 6-9-C Gasliter.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ignitor.jpg
Views:	702
Size:	25.1 KB
ID:	3666  

Old 11-03-2003, 10:58 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

igniter

Stephanie,
Can you give more information on where to buy the Mark 6-9-C Gasliter?

Thanks,
Lab
Old 11-04-2003, 09:59 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Dometic

Found this service Manual on web. See page 9.

http://www.gasrefrigeration.net/dom_...121_2852SM.PDF

Also found the manufacturers web site but the product is not listed on it. Anyone have any other ideas where you can get it.
Repodog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 10:02 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

oops

I meant page 8 in the service manual noted abote.

Also the igniter's web site is http://www.channelproducts.com/
Repodog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 11:27 AM   #9

1968 17' Caravel
I had it installed at RV Pro in Vancouver, WA while they were replacing the thermocouple and safety valve. Nice folks, and real helpful. I'm sure they could help you get one.

RV Pro

Old 02-22-2004, 02:29 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
9 and 12 volt lighters

http://www.rvmobile.com/PARTS/EQUIPMENT.HTM
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 04:15 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Stephanie's is best, but

In spite of replacing the flint in my lighter rod, I never could get the thing to consistently spark. So most of the time I ended up doing the contortionist routine outlined above by ChromeHome to get my Dometic lit.

Problem was solved by adapting an electronic ignition kit made for gas grills to replace the lighter rod. Now, while this system runs off of a 9 volt battery, it is not as "smart" as Stephanie's system in that it only sparks continuously as long as you push the red button. So if you want self-relighting capability, go with what Stephanie had installed.

My kit was made by Sunbeam. The part number is 3728-0292, and the stock number is 50220. I bought it off Ebay from Seller bbqfunstuff for around $20 delivered.

Here are a few pics: One shows the old lighter rod compared to the kit; Another shows the red pushbutton mounted close to the controls, and the last one, taken before reinstalling the wind baffle, shows the ignitor assembly mounted close to the burner.

Tom
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IgnitionBack.JPG
Views:	324
Size:	17.7 KB
ID:	11742   Click image for larger version

Name:	IgnitionFront.JPG
Views:	309
Size:	17.8 KB
ID:	11743