Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Refrigerators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-21-2018, 05:34 AM   #1
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
3 Way Fridge

Some of the new AS have a fridge that runs on propane, 110 current and DC current (I think it's DC current).

I have experience with the 2 way, propane and 110 AC. Do these 3 way refrigerators work the same way in that they will automatically switch from one source of energy to the other? Can they be set as to preference?

Thanks!
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 06:41 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
not auto switchover

These three ways require manual switchover. The switch is easy and right on the front panels of the newer refrigerators.
Old 01-22-2018, 04:32 PM   #3
Site Team

2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melody Ranch View Post
These three ways require manual switchover. The switch is easy and right on the front panels of the newer refrigerators.

Only for DC current? I would assume the switch from LP to AC would still be automatic. Am I correct?
Old 01-23-2018, 04:21 PM   #4
Site Team

2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
Does anyone know which brand of fridge is used in the new Globetrotters?
Old 01-23-2018, 04:29 PM   #5
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans627 View Post
Does anyone know which brand of fridge is used in the new Globetrotters?
They are Dometic. A larger version of the fridge used in the 22 Sport models.
Old 04-13-2018, 07:14 PM   #6
Site Team

2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
Another fridge question. In the new Globetrotter (and some of the other new models as well) there is the three way fridge. It seems as though it will continue to operate on LP when the Use/Store is turned to the Store mode. Is this the normal operation?

I guess I'm looking for confirmation.

Thanks!
Old 02-14-2019, 06:40 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
McHenry , Illinois
Have you tried thei fridge on DC yet?

Quote:
Another fridge question. In the new Globetrotter (and some of the other new models as well) there is the three way fridge. It seems as though it will continue to operate on LP when the Use/Store is turned to the Store mode. Is this the normal operation?

I guess I'm looking for confirmation.

Thanks!
Hi Hans, since you’ve had your GT for a while, have you tried the fridge on DC yet? I’m wondering if you can run it on DC while traveling to maintain cold once it was pre-cooled.

If so, does the TV provide enough juice to keep the batteries from going below a healthy voltage? We’ve got a trip to Colorado in June; GT due end of March. We ordered the factory solar so maybe that plus TV charge would be enough?

Just thinking ahead!

Thanks in advance,
Jeff
jeffmc306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 05:46 AM   #8
Site Team

2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffmc306 View Post
Hi Hans, since you’ve had your GT for a while, have you tried the fridge on DC yet? I’m wondering if you can run it on DC while traveling to maintain cold once it was pre-cooled.

If so, does the TV provide enough juice to keep the batteries from going below a healthy voltage? We’ve got a trip to Colorado in June; GT due end of March. We ordered the factory solar so maybe that plus TV charge would be enough?

Just thinking ahead!

Thanks in advance,
Jeff
Hi Jeff,

Yes I have used the DC for a short period of time while traveling. It worked fine but I really can't tell you the specifics relative to the battery level. Most often I use propane for the fridge when moving.

Sorry I could not be more helpful. Just curious if you plan on using DC while traveling?

All the best,

Bob (aka Hans)
Old 02-15-2019, 11:01 AM   #9
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
3 Way Fridge

Folks no info from me about 3 way fridge power but I bet Dometic put data for the power requirements in their manual or data plate somewhere.

But this has worked very well for us to monitor and adjust the fridge temp.

Get an indoor outdoor thermometer with a remote outdoor probe. $25-30 range.

The remote goes in fridge and readout can be in the cab of TV and monitored while in route or when in camp.
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 01:37 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
McHenry , Illinois
Quote:
Hi Jeff,

Yes I have used the DC for a short period of time while traveling. It worked fine but I really can't tell you the specifics relative to the battery level. Most often I use propane for the fridge when moving.

Sorry I could not be more helpful. Just curious if you plan on using DC while traveling?

All the best,

Bob (aka Hans)
Bob, thanks for the reply and info. I would like to try the DC option while traveling since the fridge has the ability. Do you have any trouble with keeping the propane from blowing out while on the road?

The other poster mentioned using a thermometer with remote to keep tabs on the temp - good idea! I have a Bluetooth iGrill unit and will experiment with it since I have it already. The distance + metal may limit the range but it’s worth a try. Now we just need the trailer - can’t wait until in arrives early April.

Take care,
Jeff
Old 02-16-2019, 03:13 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2018 27' Globetrotter
Mooresville , North Carolina
Quote:
Only for DC current? I would assume the switch from LP to AC would still be automatic. Am I correct?
Hi Bob,

We haven't contacted in awhile. I have the same GT as you. I have pretty much left mine in the Auto mode and it switches automatically for me between propane and AC. I have not tried it in the store mode as I've had no reason to.

I travel with the propane on as well. I read in the manual that if you are stopped for 10 min? that it is supposed to switch over to the DC mode as it thinks you are stopping for fuel and it shuts the propane off. However, I have monitored this when we stop at a rest area to stretch/eat and I have never noticed that it has done this.

I have never used the DC mode intentionally as I hear it could drain you batteries in a couple of hours (even while hooked up to the TV). I have manually switched from AC to propane when hooked up to shore power with no issue.

Hope all is well with you.

Jim
GOUSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 03:25 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

Sanford , Arizona
3 Way Fridge

Hi Jeff - we spent over a month last June/July traveling in Ohio with our new 2019 GT FBQ with factory solar. We used DC power while we were en route to the eleven state parks we visited. Each time, we changed the fridge over from either propane/electric to DC during our transit time. When we arrived to our site, we switched the fridge back to what made sense for where we were, depending on the available hookups.

Even during the heat of summer, the DC power kept our food in the fridge and freezer to an acceptable temperature while in transit. We had to no food losses due to temperature fluctuations. One day we traveled over 400 miles without any ill-effects using DC power. Battery levels were just fine because of the solar charging/TV.

We travel full-time in our GT and now most often use propane when in travel mode. We are glad to have the option to use either DC or propane when in transit. We like the flexibility of the 3-way fridge.

BTW - we hope you love your Globetrotter as much as we do!
SewStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 09:50 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
McHenry , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by SewStream View Post
Hi Jeff - we spent over a month last June/July traveling in Ohio with our new 2019 GT FBQ with factory solar. We used DC power while we were en route to the eleven state parks we visited. Each time, we changed the fridge over from either propane/electric to DC during our transit time. When we arrived to our site, we switched the fridge back to what made sense for where we were, depending on the available hookups.

Even during the heat of summer, the DC power kept our food in the fridge and freezer to an acceptable temperature while in transit. We had to no food losses due to temperature fluctuations. One day we traveled over 400 miles without any ill-effects using DC power. Battery levels were just fine because of the solar charging/TV.

We travel full-time in our GT and now most often use propane when in travel mode. We are glad to have the option to use either DC or propane when in transit. We like the flexibility of the 3-way fridge.

BTW - we hope you love your Globetrotter as much as we do!
Hi SewStream - thank you for sharing your experience about using the three different modes on the GT fridge!

That’s exactly how I was hoping it would work. I was concerned about running propane and forgetting to turn it off before refueling the tow vehicle so knowing DC is an option is great news.

By the way, my wife was interested in your Ohio State Park trip last year. Were there any that stood out? We’re in Northern Illinois and will be retired next year so taking notes on places to visit.

Thanks again,
Jeff & Caryle

PS: So glad you love your Globetrotter - we’re making the trek to JC the end of March to see ours in production; cant wait!