Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-02-2021, 07:29 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2021 27' Globetrotter
Malibu , California
Exclamation 2021 Norcold Elec-Only Fridge: Door Opening in Travel!

I am in a new 2021 Globetrotter and recently found fridge items on my floor after driving. Initially I thought I must have had my head in the clouds, but now realized the fridge door opens during travel. The little pin (crazy how small it is!) doesnt latch fully because the door now sits ľ in too low and the pin doesnt fully extend.

I haven't found much on this forum, but it seems like this is ongoing issue in many other forums (see here).

To me it doesnt look like ordinary washers will do, so I am wondering if anyone had this issue yet and can advise how they fixed it?

(I know this is a warranty issue, but my Airstream spent 5 weeks at JC already and I just want to get this done myself).
CMHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 09:04 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2021 27' Globetrotter
Malibu , California
Anyone?
Old 08-04-2021, 07:34 AM   #3
Airstream Ambassador

Jackson Center , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMHM View Post
I am in a new 2021 Globetrotter and recently found fridge items on my floor after driving. Initially I thought I must have had my head in the clouds, but now realized the fridge door opens during travel. The little pin (crazy how small it is!) doesnt latch fully because the door now sits ľ in too low and the pin doesnt fully extend.

I haven't found much on this forum, but it seems like this is ongoing issue in many other forums (see here).

To me it doesnt look like ordinary washers will do, so I am wondering if anyone had this issue yet and can advise how they fixed it?

(I know this is a warranty issue, but my Airstream spent 5 weeks at JC already and I just want to get this done myself).
Hi CMHM,*

We're very sorry to learn about the issue you are having. Please send us a direct message with your contact information, email and the last 6 digits of your VIN so we can share it with our Customer Service and Technical Support team. We look forward to helping you get this resolved.

You can also reach Airstream Customer Service and Technical Support at*customersupport@airstream.com

Thank you.*
Old 11-15-2021, 05:57 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2021 27' Globetrotter
Malibu , California
SOLVED:

Airstream kindly sent me a new fridge door. I removed the central hinge (the one holding the bottom of the freezer door and the top of the fridge door) from the fridge to remove the doors and realized the issue is that the main fridge door was simply sitting too low. The height of the fridge door is adjusted with little plastic washers/spacers, and considering how flimsy they were on mine, some of them must have broken under the pressure of the fridge door resting on them. As a result the locking pin would no longer extend into the door handle and the fridge door swung open during travel multiple times.

I have attached two images showing how I solved the situation with a much more sturdy nylon spacer. I would highly recommend this quick fix for all owners of the electric-only Norcold fridge, you don't want to find the inside of your fridge spread out over the floor.

Ask me how I know...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2533.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	408010   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2532.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	408011  

Old 01-19-2022, 08:01 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2021 27' Globetrotter
Rochester , New York
Same issue, same trailer

Hi CMHM - same exact issue here and I now have a nice dent in the fridge door from it hitting the closet door handle (not to mention the mess on the floor).

Before seeing your post, I called the NorCal support line and they said that I had to pull the fridge/freezer unit 4Ē out from its enclosure to remove the fridge door. Seemed like BS based on the look of the door hinges.

Iíd like this to be a quick fix as weíre currently traveling and donít want the doors open/off for very long. Can you just confirm the model number of your fridge for me? I just want to be sure that weíre dealing with the same door/hinge arrangement. Mine is the N8DCSSR.

Thanks
dog_and_cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 10:11 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2021 27' Globetrotter
Malibu , California
Yes it’s the same exact model. Two weeks ago this very fridge stopped working for me. I had a repair guy come out and we pulled it out of its enclosure and realized they installed a refurbished (not new) model that was covered in duck tape - prob because of an earlier cooling liquid leak.

I had it replaced with a Dometic model and now I’m waiting to hear from Airstream about the warranty work. Infuriating.
Old 01-19-2022, 04:37 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2021 27' Globetrotter
Rochester , New York
I got the door off, raised, and back on this afternoon in <5 min. Nice secure closure now.

Iíve had so many of these kinds of issues that come from Airstreamís poor workmanship. Itís really disappointing.

Thanks for your help on this.

Chris
Old 01-19-2022, 05:22 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2021 23' Globetrotter
Rancho Murieta , California
Had the same issue, but the door didn't open while traveling, came off in my hand when opening it after travel. Found the small screw on the floor. Reinstalled the screw and the door sat too low and no longer latched with the upper latch. The dealer did fix it and it seems okay now.

How about the plastic drip panel below the evaporator at the top of the fridge, does it fall out of the grooves on the insides of the fridge every trip? The dealer had no solution other than offering that it is wider at the front than the back so must be installed in the right direction. It still falls out of the grooves.
Sumbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 03:42 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2021 27' Globetrotter
Rochester , New York
Thatís one issue that I havenít had.