Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Refrigerators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-02-2021, 07:29 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2021 27' Globetrotter
Malibu , California
Exclamation 2021 Norcold Elec-Only Fridge: Door Opening in Travel!

I am in a new 2021 Globetrotter and recently found fridge items on my floor after driving. Initially I thought I must have had my head in the clouds, but now realized the fridge door opens during travel. The little pin (crazy how small it is!) doesnt latch fully because the door now sits ¼ in too low and the pin doesnt fully extend.

I haven't found much on this forum, but it seems like this is ongoing issue in many other forums (see here).

To me it doesnt look like ordinary washers will do, so I am wondering if anyone had this issue yet and can advise how they fixed it?

(I know this is a warranty issue, but my Airstream spent 5 weeks at JC already and I just want to get this done myself).
CMHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 09:04 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2021 27' Globetrotter
Malibu , California
Anyone?
Old 08-04-2021, 07:34 AM   #3
Airstream Ambassador

Jackson Center , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMHM View Post
I am in a new 2021 Globetrotter and recently found fridge items on my floor after driving. Initially I thought I must have had my head in the clouds, but now realized the fridge door opens during travel. The little pin (crazy how small it is!) doesnt latch fully because the door now sits ¼ in too low and the pin doesnt fully extend.

I haven't found much on this forum, but it seems like this is ongoing issue in many other forums (see here).

To me it doesnt look like ordinary washers will do, so I am wondering if anyone had this issue yet and can advise how they fixed it?

(I know this is a warranty issue, but my Airstream spent 5 weeks at JC already and I just want to get this done myself).
Hi CMHM,*

We're very sorry to learn about the issue you are having. Please send us a direct message with your contact information, email and the last 6 digits of your VIN so we can share it with our Customer Service and Technical Support team. We look forward to helping you get this resolved.

You can also reach Airstream Customer Service and Technical Support at*customersupport@airstream.com

Thank you.*
Old 11-15-2021, 05:57 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2021 27' Globetrotter
Malibu , California
SOLVED:

Airstream kindly sent me a new fridge door. I removed the central hinge (the one holding the bottom of the freezer door and the top of the fridge door) from the fridge to remove the doors and realized the issue is that the main fridge door was simply sitting too low. The height of the fridge door is adjusted with little plastic washers/spacers, and considering how flimsy they were on mine, some of them must have broken under the pressure of the fridge door resting on them. As a result the locking pin would no longer extend into the door handle and the fridge door swung open during travel multiple times.

I have attached two images showing how I solved the situation with a much more sturdy nylon spacer. I would highly recommend this quick fix for all owners of the electric-only Norcold fridge, you don't want to find the inside of your fridge spread out over the floor.

Ask me how I know...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2533.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	408010   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2532.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	408011  

Old 01-19-2022, 08:01 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2021 27' Globetrotter
Rochester , New York
Same issue, same trailer

Hi CMHM - same exact issue here and I now have a nice dent in the fridge door from it hitting the closet door handle (not to mention the mess on the floor).

Before seeing your post, I called the NorCal support line and they said that I had to pull the fridge/freezer unit 4” out from its enclosure to remove the fridge door. Seemed like BS based on the look of the door hinges.

I’d like this to be a quick fix as we’re currently traveling and don’t want the doors open/off for very long. Can you just confirm the model number of your fridge for me? I just want to be sure that we’re dealing with the same door/hinge arrangement. Mine is the N8DCSSR.

Thanks
dog_and_cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 10:11 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2021 27' Globetrotter
Malibu , California
Yes it’s the same exact model. Two weeks ago this very fridge stopped working for me. I had a repair guy come out and we pulled it out of its enclosure and realized they installed a refurbished (not new) model that was covered in duck tape - prob because of an earlier cooling liquid leak.

I had it replaced with a Dometic model and now I’m waiting to hear from Airstream about the warranty work. Infuriating.
Old 01-19-2022, 04:37 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2021 27' Globetrotter
Rochester , New York
I got the door off, raised, and back on this afternoon in <5 min. Nice secure closure now.

I’ve had so many of these kinds of issues that come from Airstream’s poor workmanship. It’s really disappointing.

Thanks for your help on this.

Chris
Old 01-19-2022, 05:22 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2021 23' Globetrotter
Rancho Murieta , California
Had the same issue, but the door didn't open while traveling, came off in my hand when opening it after travel. Found the small screw on the floor. Reinstalled the screw and the door sat too low and no longer latched with the upper latch. The dealer did fix it and it seems okay now.

How about the plastic drip panel below the evaporator at the top of the fridge, does it fall out of the grooves on the insides of the fridge every trip? The dealer had no solution other than offering that it is wider at the front than the back so must be installed in the right direction. It still falls out of the grooves.
Sumbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 03:42 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2021 27' Globetrotter
Rochester , New York
That’s one issue that I haven’t had.
Old 07-12-2022, 11:15 PM   #10

2022 27' Globetrotter
Napa , California
Same! That happened to us on our very first trip. We now have a nice dent in the door and a broken produce bin. Blue painters tape has been my fix! It's in the Airstream dealership now, we will see what they do.
Sagamore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 07:39 AM   #11
DRJJL

1985 31' Sovereign
Poway , California
Before you blame Airstream maybe think about putting the responsibility on NorCold. Yes AS chose to place these. We paid $1800 for a “new” (local RV parts store) NorCold bottom freezer and it came with broken interior parts (wrapped loosely in chewey box cardboard) and the instal sites showed wear where it had been previously installed. Brought it back & got our money back. Going to try a 110 Iio fun fridge with an inverter, and ground solar (hubby likes to spend his camp time chasing sunlight).
Old 07-23-2022, 07:49 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

Boise , ID
I’m having this same issue, in Alaska, 3 week old unit. I store my salad in the door along with a beef stick and a yellow mustard bottle. I wouldn’t think that’s too much weight, but the new policy is nothing in the door.

My solution was a stack of washers on the door post to help keep the pin in its slot. We also used a bungee cord to hold the door closed ( this was the best device so far). The final solution for travel days is to use some 6” posts with wing nuts holding a plastic shim over both the freezer and fridge door. It’s a locked solution that makes it bear proof, I think. The posts go into the holes for the bracket if you were to flip the handle to the other side. I don’t love this solution, but it’s my bush fix for a stupid problem. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4850.JPG
Views:	100
Size:	319.4 KB
ID:	419900
Bunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2023, 05:05 PM   #13

2022 30' Flying Cloud
Peoria , Illinois
Just came across this thread. First trip in a 2023 Flying Cloud 30FBB heading to Ft Wilderness.. Second evening we stopped to find 3 nice big dents in the frig door from it swinging open while we were traveling. If you lift the door up it latches, but just closing it normally the pin doesn’t latch. Poor fit and finish on Norcold’s part.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/jr5izWWqvWznkcod7

I don’t quite understand why Airstream wouldn’t have put some sort of stop on the door. I get that you want maximum travel to maximize hallway access, but the drawer handles shouldn’t be that stop. Hoping Airstream will reach out and offer a new door.
Red shed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2023, 10:21 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2022 25' International
Savage , Minnesota
Add me to this list. Both Norcold doors came open on our ‘22, and the freezer door is now destroyed. I found the freezer door hanging by a thread on the bottom hinge, it was completely off the top hinge. Based on the damage, not sure it is even fixable. Seems to be a design flaw with all the incidents of this. Can’t even think of any big bumps during this trip. So now we have no refrigerator until we can get is for service.

'64 Safari Resoration Blog ("May"):
https://ts8501.blogspot.com/

TAC MN-6
WBCCI/VAC 11736
AIR 25979
ts8501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2023, 10:42 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
1957 26' Overlander
Plymouth , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by ts8501 View Post
Add me to this list. Both Norcold doors came open on our ‘22, and the freezer door is now destroyed. I found the freezer door hanging by a thread on the bottom hinge, it was completely off the top hinge. Based on the damage, not sure it is even fixable. Seems to be a design flaw with all the incidents of this. Can’t even think of any big bumps during this trip. So now we have no refrigerator until we can get is for service.

Sorry to hear about your fridge door Tim. I have a different fridge but I too had problems with mine not staying closed while traveling on even smooth roads. Please let me know if I can help create a solution to prevent this happening if/ when you get new doors.

"Life itself is the most wonderful fairy tale"
(Hans Christian Andersen)

WBCCI 10289
TAC MN-69
AIR 11240
BradS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2023, 11:01 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2022 27' Globetrotter
Bethlehem , Pennsylvania
My 2022 Globetrotter has the same issue. The dealer replaced the initial door last fall. First trip this year...new dent in the door. I'm going to live with the dent. It's ridiculous that they replace the entire door for a dent. Not only doesn't Norcold NOT know how to design a door latch, they also don't know how to build a serviceable fridge. On the good side, I do love the 12V fridge. I know a lot of folks don't like them, but with solar and lithium batteries, I have run my fridge for weeks without shore power.
Merlintiaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2023, 08:53 AM   #17

2022 30' Flying Cloud
Peoria , Illinois
Nearest Airstream dealer is 2.5 hours away from me. Dealer told me to go to a Norcold dealer. They wanted me to bring the trailer in to write up a warranty claim. Shouldn’t take more than a couple hours. So, I would be in it for 60 miles and 4 hours of my time just to get a claim. Repeat the whole process if/when the Norcold dealer gets the parts. Can’t believe all the hoops Norcold makes you jump through for this. Their philosophy must be make it difficult enough and a warranty claim won’t be made. My inverter quit and I had a factory replacement the next day at my door with a return label for the failure.
Red shed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2023, 08:34 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

Boise , ID
The gap between my freezer door and fridge door continue to widen. The dealer “fixed” it by drilling the holes for the L bracket/catch to be moved slightly so the pins will catch. My guess is this is a 1 week solution.

The fridge doors are slowly self destructing. I don’t place anything in the doors for fear it will accelerate the issue. My best guess is the bottom bracket is not only bending but the mounting point of the fridge frame is bending. Perhaps a more vigorous inspection with the fridge out of the airstream is required.
Bunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2023, 01:33 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1963 26' Overlander
Waynesville , Georgia
Fridge door lock

If you are not too wrapped up in looks, we found inexpensive child proofing cabinet locks to be our answer. Easy to open, doors stay closed on the roughest of highways. Sorry photo is sideways.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6336.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	218.1 KB
ID:	438062  
ChristyB56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2023, 11:08 AM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2009 19' International
Aptos , California
If any of you having problems with the electric only refrigerators and are contemplating replacement, take a look at the Isotherm. We had one installed in our new 27’ International and it works great. Separate compressors for refer and freezer. Very quiet.
brad1 is offline   Reply With Quote