Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-15-2018, 11:09 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2019 25' International
2019 25' International
McKinney , TX
2018 FC 19CB Fridge door

While towing I keep a minimal amount of food / weight in the fridge, yet at the end of the trip I have a continual problem with the bottom frame trim of the fridge door coming loose, along with the metal door panel sliding down. I then have to snap the frame trim back in place. The fridge door is always closed in transit and my GY endurance (rated for 80psi) tires are kept at 67 to 70 PSI to reduce shock while driving, and I am loaded below the 4500 weight spec. Does anyone else have this problem, or have a recommendation as how to permanently resolve the issue? Thanks!
Jkohnle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 01:11 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
Blue Sky Ranch , Texas
Spelled: D-O-M-E-T-I-C correct? 3rd party everything is going to junk. AS needs to re-evaluate their partnerships.

Watch out for the posts that include large photos of blue tape across the door (to keep it closed while on the road). Get hold of AS and tell them to fix it instead.
Msherw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 01:48 PM   #3
Airstream Ambassador

Jackson Center , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkohnle View Post
While towing I keep a minimal amount of food / weight in the fridge, yet at the end of the trip I have a continual problem with the bottom frame trim of the fridge door coming loose, along with the metal door panel sliding down. I then have to snap the frame trim back in place. The fridge door is always closed in transit and my GY endurance (rated for 80psi) tires are kept at 67 to 70 PSI to reduce shock while driving, and I am loaded below the 4500 weight spec. Does anyone else have this problem, or have a recommendation as how to permanently resolve the issue? Thanks!
Hi Jkohnle,*

We're very sorry to learn about the issue you are having. Please send us a direct message with your contact information and the last 6 digits of your VIN so we can share it with our Customer Service and Technical Support team. We look forward to helping you get this resolved.

You can also reach Airstream Customer Service and Technical Support at*customer_support@airstream.com*

Thank you.*
Old 10-21-2018, 03:31 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2024 23' International
South of Austin , Texas
Quote:
Your trailer is under warranty and you should go to an AS service center for this kind of thing.
JJTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 08:42 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2019 25' International
2019 25' International
McKinney , TX
Thanks for the feedback... I do plan to take it back to the dealer, but did also want to find out if others were having this problem. I also have a punch list of other items. Thanks!
Old 10-22-2018, 09:19 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2024 23' International
South of Austin , Texas
Quote:
Thanks for the feedback... I do plan to take it back to the dealer, but did also want to find out if others were having this problem. I also have a punch list of other items. Thanks!

Mine goes back today. I think AS is trying to make them too fast and it's causing a lot of extra work for dealers.

Job security I suppose!
Old 10-23-2018, 09:22 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

2019 25' International
2019 25' International
McKinney , TX
I agree! In general we are pleased with our 19CB, but do have a few of these annoyances that pop up. Good luck with yours.
Old 10-27-2018, 09:20 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2017 19' International
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Monrovia , California
We have the same problem on our 2017 19’ CCD. We have had the fridge replaced once under warranty. Please post your solution. I will probably use a double sided tape. It my opinion AS should offer better refrigerator options. 3way would be nice. The ammonia cycle is too temperamental with too many environmental factors influencing its operation. Such as air flow on the back side and air flow inside the unit. The model we have has no temp. controls other than repositioning the thermistor. The refrigerator section freezes. Can’t use it for produce or eggs etc. it’s still under warranty but the options are ... still the same refrigerator. I would appreciate any first hand info on any of the following manufactures’ product: WRECO
NOVA KOOL
ARB
ENGLE MARINE
AS if your reading, please evaluate the manufacturers and your relationship with Dometic.
Kay0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 12:17 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
Blue Sky Ranch , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJTX View Post
Mine goes back today. I think AS is trying to make them too fast and it's causing a lot of extra work for dealers.

Job security I suppose!
Well my thoughts: AS uses subpar 3rd party appliance mfgrs and when they get a slew of problems AS needs to apply pressure on them. Unfortunately, these 3rd party mfgrs have managed to buy their competition making it hard for AS to demand quality. There just isn't anyone left to buy from.

For the posts that indicate dissatisfaction with AS dealer - we all need to remember the dealers SELL RVs and only service them because they have to in order to meet AS requirements. Dealer repairs are usually way below the AS Mothership in quality and speed (3-5 week wait in my area). If you need good workmanship repair, the Mothership cannot be beat.

I have lto repair a lot of minor issues myself. Learned to rivet when I lost a few in the summer (caused when a police officer made me jump a curbed median to avoid a traffic tie-up accident). Lost 6 interior rivets. Bought the gun and rivets from the Alcoa rep @ https://store.airstreamlife.com/coll...cts/rivet-tool. Looks OEM.

No other RV exceeds Airstream in workmanship. Zero. However we all have some problems (due to the fact that we pull our AS over rough roads) that will need attention. Just a fact of life...
Msherw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 01:40 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2024 23' International
South of Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msherw View Post
Well my thoughts: AS uses subpar 3rd party appliance mfgrs and when they get a slew of problems AS needs to apply pressure on them. Unfortunately, these 3rd party mfgrs have managed to buy their competition making it hard for AS to demand quality. There just isn't anyone left to buy from.

For the posts that indicate dissatisfaction with AS dealer - we all need to remember the dealers SELL RVs and only service them because they have to in order to meet AS requirements. Dealer repairs are usually way below the AS Mothership in quality and speed (3-5 week wait in my area). If you need good workmanship repair, the Mothership cannot be beat.

I have lto repair a lot of minor issues myself. Learned to rivet when I lost a few in the summer (caused when a police officer made me jump a curbed median to avoid a traffic tie-up accident). Lost 6 interior rivets. Bought the gun and rivets from the Alcoa rep @ https://store.airstreamlife.com/coll...cts/rivet-tool. Looks OEM.

No other RV exceeds Airstream in workmanship. Zero. However we all have some problems (due to the fact that we pull our AS over rough roads) that will need attention. Just a fact of life...

So far all of my problems have just been bad quality control at Airstream. Nothing has been defective.
Old 10-29-2018, 02:45 PM   #11
Airstream Ambassador

Jackson Center , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kay0 View Post
We have the same problem on our 2017 19’ CCD. We have had the fridge replaced once under warranty. Please post your solution. I will probably use a double sided tape. It my opinion AS should offer better refrigerator options. 3way would be nice. The ammonia cycle is too temperamental with too many environmental factors influencing its operation. Such as air flow on the back side and air flow inside the unit. The model we have has no temp. controls other than repositioning the thermistor. The refrigerator section freezes. Can’t use it for produce or eggs etc. it’s still under warranty but the options are ... still the same refrigerator. I would appreciate any first hand info on any of the following manufactures’ product: WRECO
NOVA KOOL
ARB
ENGLE MARINE
AS if your reading, please evaluate the manufacturers and your relationship with Dometic.
Hi Kay0,*

We're very sorry to learn about the issues you are having. Please send us a direct message with your contact information and the last 6 digits of your VIN so we can share it with our Customer Service and Technical Support team. We look forward to helping you get this resolved.

You can also reach Airstream Customer Service and Technical Support at*customer_support@airstream.com*

Thank you.
Old 11-04-2018, 05:15 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

2007 19' Safari SE
Corona , California
I had the same problem with mine. I ordered a new piece of trim off amazon and noticed it came with screw holes.
The previous trim only snapped on.
The holes lined up with places to install a screw.
Small screws in the trim and all is done.
Crambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 05:38 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2018 19' Flying Cloud
Newport , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msherw View Post
.............we all need to remember the dealers SELL RVs and only service them because they have to in order to meet AS requirements. Dealer repairs are usually way below the AS Mothership in quality and speed ..........
I don't know about other dealers, but this certainly doesn't describe Airstream of Spokane (Washington). They truly care about everyone who walks in the door and take pride and pleasure in doing a good job. And they are 2,200 miles closer than the Mothership.

2018 Flying Cloud 19
2003 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab Diesel
KelloggKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 04:36 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari
Anaheim , California
For what it's worth my '06 came with the plastic trim attached with 2 screws. Eventually the plastic around the screws gave way. I solved the problem by taking a piece of 3/4" aluminum angle and screwing that in top and bottom. It solves the problem once and for all and it's actually better looking than the original.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181106_131033200.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	156.3 KB
ID:	327642  
Old 11-12-2018, 05:51 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

2007 19' Safari SE
Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnco View Post
For what it's worth my '06 came with the plastic trim attached with 2 screws. Eventually the plastic around the screws gave way. I solved the problem by taking a piece of 3/4" aluminum angle and screwing that in top and bottom. It solves the problem once and for all and it's actually better looking than the original.

Great idea. I’ll be doing that if I have anymore issues.
Crambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 11:57 AM   #16

Currently Looking...
Madison , Alabama
We have a 2017 19’ Flying Cloud with the same refrigerator door issue.
Solution desired....
mjjt5604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 12:01 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2024 23' International
South of Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjjt5604 View Post
Solution desired....
What did airstream say? It's under warranty...
Old 01-14-2019, 01:51 PM   #18
Airstream Ambassador

Jackson Center , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjjt5604 View Post
Solution desired....
Hi mjjt5604,*

Please send us a direct message with your contact information and the last 6 digits of your VIN so we can share it with our Customer Service and Technical Support team.

Thank you.*
Old 02-28-2019, 08:28 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2017 19' International
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Monrovia , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjtx View Post
what did airstream say? It's under warranty...

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1879.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	186.4 KB
ID:	334618
Old 02-28-2019, 08:37 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2017 19' International
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Monrovia , California
JJTX, You asked what Airstream’s response was...a very sorry and hollow response, just made to look like concern and action to those surfing the forum.