Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-16-2018, 12:42 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
1961 24' Tradewind
Strasburg , Pennsylvania
1964 Dometic- no good on LP

We had used our 1964 Dometic 2-way fridge on LP with success until our weekend trip a few weeks ago when it got quite warm inside. At the time, close to the end of the trip, I did not switch over to electric and instead we just limped the short trip home. I attributed its lack of cooling at the time to the extremely hot outside temps.

I fired it up again last night getting ready for a mid-week trek. This morning, it was 60 degrees inside. Freezer did show some signs of life- but condensation was still wet and not frozen.

I switched over to electric. Things are getting cold now.

Questions:

1) Am I correct that the fridge not working on LP in this situation is likely not attributed to a clogged chimney stack? Does the chimney not need to be clear for the fridge to work on electric as well?

2) My first hunch is that I have a faulty LP thermostat. I had replaced the electric thermostat when I got the unit working a few years ago, but did nothing to the gas thermostat. Am I thinking in the right vein?

3) Does anyone know the part # for the LP-side thermostat for a unit this old?

Thanks! Looks like we will have a cold fridge this week running on electric. Hoping to get the LP working again soon as well. Looking forward to any words of advice.

Thanks!! Ben
Old 07-16-2018, 04:05 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
1961 24' Tradewind
Strasburg , Pennsylvania
Angry

Update: with the unit on electric power, the freezer is cold, but the refrigerator only got to 60+ degrees. The fins in the rear of the box are wet with condensation.

Looks like we will be taking coolers this week.
Old 12-14-2018, 05:33 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2024 23' International
South of Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA BAMBI II View Post
Update: with the unit on electric power, the freezer is cold, but the refrigerator only got to 60+ degrees. The fins in the rear of the box are wet with condensation.

Looks like we will be taking coolers this week.

If Your fridge is from 1964. Just replace it. Trailer or house
JJTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 02:48 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Choctaw , Oklahoma
Are you getting good flame on your stove burners and hotter tank. Thermostat is a good direction to be checking as well.
Old 12-23-2018, 02:53 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Choctaw , Oklahoma
let the unit dry out. Check your element outside in the stack make sure it is getting correct voltage. they burn out easily. Check you regulator on your propane tanks. If it is bad the reefer want fire. Thats why I said check stove burners for height.

Tags