Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-12-2021, 02:02 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1962 22' Safari
Jackson , Mississippi
1962 Dometic propane refrigerator help

I am hoping that someone out there can give me some DIY help to try to get my 1962 dometic refrigerator up and going again. We have had our 1962 22 foot safari for about 5 years. Love it. All of the original appliances have worked fine up til now. The refrigerator has stopped working. It only has propane and there is good gas flow. The pilot light lights easily and then the “burner” lights easily and stays lit (there are probably more official names for those). I have the vent panel open as well as a small fan to increase airflow. No cobwebs or mice etc found that could cause trouble. No funny smells. Just no cooling in the refrigerator or freezer.

Anyone out there have some advice about what I can reasonably check to possibly get it up and running again?

Thanks
marciekaput is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 03:31 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 16' International CCD
Vintage Kin Owner
Somewhere , Colorado
I also have a 1962 trailer (Traveleze) with an original Dometic propane fridge which is still working. I count my blessings, and am so sorry to hear about your problem. Nothing would be better than getting it working again, so please don’t give up just because I am going to say some discouraging things …… because even if you can’t fix it there are some options.

Sounds to me like it may be the cooling unit (the part with the coils) in the back. Problem is they can’t be recharged and replacement parts are next to impossible to find. Occasionally a working old unit can be found but that is rare.

I suggest you go to the best website on the net for vintage trailer help: Vintage Trailer Talk at vintagetrailertalk.freeforums.net. Look for the Vintage Trailer Systems section and click on Appliances. You can ask the group of real experts for help and advice.

Here are some options if it can’t be fixed:
1) convert it to an ice box, including a drain through the floor if you like
2) look at RV and boat fridges
3) dorm fridges might work
4) If you end up with a modern fridge, you may be able to retain the original look by using the door from yours as the face of a cabinet which holds the new fridge.

I hope I am wrong about the problem, and I hope you get yours working soon. Best wishes…….
field & stream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 02:20 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
1961 28' Ambassador
1968 26' Overlander
Lakewood , Colorado
Hello, recently helped another member get a fridge going. In their situation the fridge worked fine on electric so we knew the problem was in the propane part. Similar in that pilot and burner both lit fine with some heat getting into the coils, just not enough. If you can, put our hand on all the coils and see how they feel. Some places should be fairly hot, sorry I don't have a specific temp., working on that. Problem turned out to be a partially clogged gas jet (on this particular model). Careful cleaning of the nozzle remedied the problem. Your model may be different and require the removal/disassembly/cleaning of the burner assembly. Short story was yes there was flame and heat just not enough.
Hope this helps, Mark D
mrdes8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 02:34 PM   #4
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

60 years on a fridge is asking a lot .....

Dig as deep as you can into the burner assembly. Take it apart as far as you can. Scrub down all the parts with a brush. You will find a bit of buildup / carbon / rust here and there.

Next grab any sort of brush that looks like it will work and start on the "cooling stuff" and move on up the "chimney". Again, you probably will find a bit of carbon / gunk in there as well.

As noted above, the gas injection port (or whatever you want to call it) should be pulled and cleaned.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 09:32 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
There is also a fridge fixer in......Indiana(?) who might be available for a phone call. Check 66Overlanders thread for the name of the gentleman.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 10:28 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittenstiehl View Post
There is also a fridge fixer in......Indiana(?) who might be available for a phone call. Check 66Overlanders thread for the name of the gentleman.
The guy that converted my 1962 Dometic to a Danfoss compressor also could have converted it to a modern propane or propane/electric setup. Unfortunately, he sold his business earlier this year and moved on to a new endeavor. I believe he was planning to train the new owner's of his old business to do that sort of conversion work this winter, so it would still be worth a call to them: National RV Refrigeration in Shipshewanna, IN. Look up their current phone number online as it may have changed.
WBCCI/VAC #702 & #6768

66Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 10:33 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Thanks 66

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags