Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Refrigerators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-06-2022, 12:59 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Germantown , TN
12v Fridge Wiring

I have a 2021 Flying Cloud 30FB that came with the Dometic DM2882RBX propane/AC refrigerator. For a couple reasons we have decided to switch to a 12v compressor refrigerator as it fits our needs better, but we missed having that as the stock factory fridge by a year.

We would like to get the Dometic DMC4101 as the dimensions appear to be an easy replacement for the stock unit. I just have a question to make sure I wire the new one up correctly. I am not completely new to DC wiring as I have rebuilt old 36v and 48v electric golf carts... I just don't have a lot of experience directly with my Airstream's system.

My current unit has a positive and negative 12v wire to the back but they are pretty small, probably 14AWG (I'll have to go out to where it is stored and check). The manual for the new fridge requires 13AWG for runs 8 feet or less and 12AWG for runs 13 feet or less. On my model the electric panel is directly below the fridge.

1) If I wanted to run new 12 or 10 gauge wiring for the new 12v refrigerator, I would run the new wire through the conduit that the existing wire has been in and and wire them to the circuit that the current refrigerator is wired to, correct? The current circuit has a 15A fuse.

2) I don't currently have a ground running to the fridge. Can I just run a third wire down and connect to the ground terminal bar? I don't think the DC side of my panel has a ground bus but the AC side does. Can I just hook the ground up to the AC ground side?

Thanks to all for any help you can provide.
Old 05-06-2022, 04:31 PM   #2
Site Team

1994 25' Excella
Waukesha , Wisconsin
When I installed my Vitrifrigo a few years ago the instructions were pretty clear on gauge size, like yours. They also mentioned having the lines be a home run directly from the distribution point to the device.

If you can do it, I'd suggest running a dedicated new positive and negative from your distribution panel to the fridge.
1999 Suburban LS 2500 w/7.4L V8
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser (Sold)
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2022, 06:27 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Germantown , TN
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard5933 View Post
When I installed my Vitrifrigo a few years ago the instructions were pretty clear on gauge size, like yours. They also mentioned having the lines be a home run directly from the distribution point to the device.

If you can do it, I'd suggest running a dedicated new positive and negative from your distribution panel to the fridge.
Thats great advice, thank you. I have some space on the DC panel so will run a new line there to the fridge.

Tags
12v