Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Safari > 1974 - 1979 Safari
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-24-2012, 09:24 PM   #1

pittsfield , Illinois
Pull a Safari with an EnvoyXL?

Hey guys. I'm new here and looking to buy a vintage Safari. What do you'all use to pull your Safari's? Would a six-cylinder front wheel drive EnvoyXL be able to hang in there? The specs say that max trailer weight for towing is around 5000, and the Safari is just under 4000, for the most part. I also have an F250, we just can't fit our three little ones in it. We would have to take separate vehicles, which would be a drag. I'm north of St. Louis if anyone has any leads on a mid-70s safari. Thanks
NoHurry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 09:46 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
2007 Base Camp
Elk Valley , British Columbia
With a good WD hitch it would do fine, but check the weights carefully because a bare trailer at 4,000 can easily hit 5,000 loaded, and you need to look at the max gross vehicle combined weight to see if you'll have any capacity left for people and stuff in your SUV.

Front driver's don't typically make the best handling tow vehicles, which is why you will want a weight distributing hitch which will get more weight on the front axle. Also, make sure the Envoy can actually accept a WD hitch... you might need to do some reenforcing to make it work.
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 07:22 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
The Envoy isn't front-wheel-drive. It's rear-wheel or all-wheel-drive, same as the Chevy Trailblazer.

GMC's front-wheel-drive (or all-wheel-drive) SUVs are the three-row Acadia or smaller Terrain.

Tom
mutcth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 07:36 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Kanata , Ontario
Check Payload

Payload and Axle loading is usually more of a limiting factor than published tow capacity. Add the weight of all the people and gear plus the hitch and tongue weight and make sure you are under the payload/axle weight ratings.

A quick google search returned multiple payload ratings for the Envoy. Either the web has it wrong () or there are different ratings for different models.

Remember - your little ones grow up fast - I'm assuming you will want to use the vehicle for a number of years, so use their weight in a few years time for the calculation.
MaxTow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 09:13 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Great Lake State , .
My Trailblazer 4x4 handled my 17’ 1965 Caravel perfectly, however when I pulled my 1955 22’ Safari on a very nice day, sunny, no winds with sway bars was not happy at all. Sold the Trailblazer the next day and bought a crew cab GMC pickup (longer wheelbase) and you don’t even no the Safari is behind you, a difference between night and day.

toastie
toastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:28 AM   #6

pittsfield , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutcth View Post
The Envoy isn't front-wheel-drive. It's rear-wheel or all-wheel-drive, same as the Chevy Trailblazer.

GMC's front-wheel-drive (or all-wheel-drive) SUVs are the three-row Acadia or smaller Terrain.

Tom
Yes, thank you, Rear WD on the Envoy. It would seem that if we do find the Airstream that we are hoping for, a crew cab should be in our future if we want to go any kind of distance at all. This would also open up our search to the bigger campers as well.
NoHurry is offline   Reply With Quote