Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-04-2009, 07:35 AM   #1

1974 23' Safari
Hamilton , Ontario
Maintenance before towing our Safari '74

I have a 1974 Safari with one axle. We have owned the trailer for a year but never had a chance to use her yet. We are considering towing her to Florida the December. My question since I don’t have a history with it is there any key items I should be servicing. I plan to pull the wheels, grease wheel bearings, check tires and breaks. Thanks John
countryking1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 08:13 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryking1 View Post
I have a 1974 Safari with one axle. We have owned the trailer for a year but never had a chance to use her yet. We are considering towing her to Florida the December. My question since I don’t have a history with it is there any key items I should be servicing. I plan to pull the wheels, grease wheel bearings, check tires and breaks. Thanks John
Make sure the brake shoes and magnets still are serviceable. Also replace the grease seals when you grease the bearings.

Check the tires for weather cracks and cupping.

The tire, wheel hub and drum should all be balanced as an assembly.

There are other issues you could check, if the trailer has been parked for a long time. LPG systems, electrical systems, etc.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 09:28 AM   #3

1974 23' Safari
Hamilton , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
Make sure the brake shoes and magnets still are serviceable. Also replace the grease seals when you grease the bearings.

Check the tires for weather cracks and cupping.

The tire, wheel hub and drum should all be balanced as an assembly.

There are other issues you could check, if the trailer has been parked for a long time. LPG systems, electrical systems, etc.

Andy
Thanks, my last trailer was a fifth wheel with two axles. I am also a little concerned with only one set of tires. I have no issues with towing since we have a 2500 duramax and the load hitch. I see most Safari's Airstreams with dual axles and they seem to be the same weight. We are just concerned about the weight on the same single axles. Thanks
Old 10-04-2009, 10:33 AM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Thanks, my last trailer was a fifth wheel with two axles. I am also a little concerned with only one set of tires. I have no issues with towing since we have a 2500 duramax and the load hitch. I see most Safari's Airstreams with dual axles and they seem to be the same weight. We are just concerned about the weight on the same single axles. Thanks
Airstream made a number of 23 foot Safari's with one axle.

That really is a lot of weight for a single axle, and because of the one axle, vertical movement of the tongue when traveling, can become excessive. It can get bad enough that the back end of the tow vehicle becomes a mix-master.

All you can do, is make sure the entire suspension system and running gear, is in top or nearly so, condition.

Airstream decided to later make that model with a tandem axle, which accomplished many positive things, like more load capacity, and severly curtailing the vertical movement of the tongue.

Welcome to Airstreaming. You are in the right place to have any and all of your questions answered, sometimes with facts, sometimes with opinions, but usually with experiences.

Andy
Old 10-05-2009, 08:40 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
Quote:

How about checking the axle? My -73's were *shot* and thus, replaced.
funkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 05:41 PM   #6

1974 23' Safari
Hamilton , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkill View Post
How about checking the axle? My -73's were *shot* and thus, replaced.

I read somewhere there was a design change for 73 to 74 axles.
Old 10-06-2009, 07:50 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
Birmingham , Alabama
I would do all the wheel related maintenance you suggested including checking all three tires for corect pressure. Make sure to check that the lug nuts are all tight - use a torque wrench. Are the tires 5 years old (or older)? If so, spring for fresh tires. That alone should give you good confidence.

Check the tail lights. Check the set-up of the weight distrubution bars. Check the emergency chains. Secure everything inside, make sure you have any packed cargo weight up front and not all behind the axle.

Then take her for a short tow - 10 miles on various roads and various speeds. Get out and feel the wheels and tires periodically. Adjust the brake controller on a quiet street. Check to be sure there is a tiny amount of loose play in the bearings, you don't want them too tight. Tow it another 10 miles, get out on the interstate then check the wheel temperatures again. If it all works, relax and go camping.
gwchitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 08:16 PM   #8
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
I read somewhere there was a design change for 73 to 74 axles.
It was determined that the composition of the rubber rods used in all the torsion axles installed by Airstream, at both plants, was incorrect, from the 1973 models and older. That would allow to axles to settle, ratherquickly, and cause the trailer to bottom out.

The problem was resolved starting with the 1974 models.

However, rubber must be exercised to stay alive.

If, as an example, a torsion axle, regardless of brand, has a weight load similair to the weight of the trailer, imposed upon it, but not exercised by simple movement, the rubber rods can solidify and/or simply fail and give up.

Torsion axle equipped anything, from travel trailers to farm implements, must be moved probably once a year or more, to keep the rubber rods, alive.

If not, then the rods more than likely will fail, even with the latest models.

When the rubber rods have failed, bottoming out will occur when traveling, that in turn, will cause many damages to the trailer.

There are two tests that can be visually be done, as outline in an article that's in Airstream Central.

Andy