Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Safari > 1974 - 1979 Safari
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-01-2011, 10:27 AM   #1

1978 23' Safari
Deerfield , Illinois
Smile Just joined the Airstream world

We have just purchased a 1978 safari and will be starting the rehab soon. We were wondering if anyone had suggestions on redesign of the interior. Currently the bath is in the back of the trailer -- we would like to move it and put our bedroom there. However we are perplexed as to the best place to move the bathroom. Ant ideas?

Thanks much!
HappyTrails2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 10:46 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
There is not much room in a 23' trailer to move things around. The only other locations for a bathroom are the front and the middle. If you decide to move the bathroom, watch the window locations. In addition, you need to move all the plumbing and change the electrical outlets.

Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTrails2 View Post
We have just purchased a 1978 safari and will be starting the rehab soon. We were wondering if anyone had suggestions on redesign of the interior. Currently the bath is in the back of the trailer -- we would like to move it and put our bedroom there. However we are perplexed as to the best place to move the bathroom. Ant ideas?

Thanks much!
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 11:32 AM   #3

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Welcome to the forums!

Anything is POSSIBLE, but some things are easier than others to do. The bathroom is the hardest thing to move because you'll also have to relocate all the plumbing and at least the blackwater tank. If the subfloor is bad and you're going to have to replace it all anyway, it's not as much extra work since it's just a question of planning where to put things when you put it all back together. If the trailer is pretty solid, moving the bath would be a lot of extra work.

I personally would prefer a center bath, but our Argosy has the rear bath and we're OK with it after camping in it for a while. The bath is pretty small (probably the same size as you're Safari) and I wouldn't want to make it that much smaller, so it would just be taking up the same amount of space somewhere else.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 11:38 AM   #4

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Welcome and congrats on the 78. The bathroom can be relocated but its a big job.

There's the black tank relocation, associated plumbing, and the shower and sink components differ.

Kevin

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 01:06 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
If you have time next weekend, you can come out to the Northern Illinois Unit Rally at Amboy, IL and I sure you could see some alternatives. We will have at least 10 trailers there and our members are always interested in giving a hand to a newcomer. If your trailer is not ready to travel yet, just drive out Saturday for Thanksgiving day dinner.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 08:40 AM   #6

1978 23' Safari
Deerfield , Illinois
Thanks for the information

We are picking up the trailer next weekend so unfortunately won,t be able to join the group on Saturday. Please let me know if you are aware of another get together on another date. I will also check the forum--- just getting into the flow. There is so much info available. Thanks much!
HappyTrails2 is offline   Reply With Quote