I thought I'd update this thread with progress so far in two months of ownership.
We have been out for two long weekend trips to local provincial parks and had a good time and good warm weather. After two trips we decided it was time to get the bed situation under control.
Two weeks ago I painted a good portion of the walls that separate the bedroom and kitchen and bathroom a nice white and then built bunk beds over the twin beds for my four kids. The bunks fold back flat against the wall when not in use and should support a decent average teenager or adult though I have tested that yet. They are built from repurposed surplus army medical stretchers. I've got another thread in the restoration forum about them but here's a quick photo.
This evening I finished a bed platform in the front of the camper for my wife and I. It's a "cozy" double bed. I'd rather a queen but there isn't the space until I rework the kitchen cabinets. I built this platform sort of as a test. We will probably keep it for a year and see how it works and if we like it then I'll plan a proper rebuild with nicer materials. The bonus with the platform is the huge storage space gained under it for light bulky items and the plus of shoes that come in the door at night.
So there you have it. A '76 23ft Safari that comfortably sleeps a crazy energetic family of six. We are hoping to get one or two fall cool weather short trips in to test them all out soon. If not well we will just camp out in the driveway!
Aside from the small renovations, I've been slowly learning about the systems and making small repairs and much longer lists of bits and pieces that I need to order for repair various.
I need to rebuild the lights on the ceiling. All three switches have just about seen their last days. I'll probably switch to LED lamps when I rebuild the lights.
One roof vent crank is stripped and won't open - likely a candidate for a fantastic fan replacement.
Baked a tray of nachos in the magic chef oven on our last trip. If the stories I've been told are true that was the first thing ever baked in the 40yr old oven.!!
Found that my grey water tank leaks if filled more than 80% full.
Fixed the umbilical cable to the TV and replaced a bunch of missing and burned out towing lights.
Had a trailer tire puncture on my last trip so had to get a patch job on that one after getting home. Thankful for tandem axles that let me roll slowly to the closest town for air. 20PSI of air in the punctured tire wasn't going to get me very far!
Fun adventures so far! And many more to come.