Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-04-2007, 08:58 PM   #1

1974 23' Safari
jasper , ab
1974 safari water leak when hooked to town water

I am new to the airsteram world as I just purchased this 1974 Safari last week, The trailer is in very good condition as it has been stored inside and never used for at least the past 10 years. Well now I have the job of getting everything back working again. I'm now working on the plumbing after getting all of the appliances working. I hooked the garden hose to the town water supply to find that the water drains out of the drain cock under the rear of the bumper. Both taps are shut off under the bathroom sink but it still continues to run. Is there a pressure relief valve in the rear of the trailer after the pressure regulator? Also how do you adjust the water pressure on the pressure regulator? I think that counterclock wise on the screw should lower the pressure is this correct.
Jasper_pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 09:30 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1976 25' Tradewind
. , Maine to Arizona
Congratulations! Good sized unit.

Any manual to find out how it is configured?
If you close the petcock does the water still flow?
Mine has bypasses and valves galore.

R
fastrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 09:43 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
Maryville , Tennessee
I have a 73 Safari and their is a pressure reliefe valve that is behind my shower with the drain coming out close the rear of the bumper. I have to shut offs that are under the twin bed which feeds another drain just behind the rear axles. Good luck...
kneal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 09:47 PM   #4

1974 23' Safari
jasper , ab
Fastrob, both Pet cocks are closed or so it seems. There seems to be a some type of valve or connection between the petcock and the pressure regulator I'm not too sure if it is a relief valve but it would make sense if it is. Tomorrow I plan on taking the drain cocks apart just to make sure that they are not leaking but for the amount of water that is coming out of the drain under the bumper I feel there must be something else leaking other than the drain cocks. I only have the owners manual no service manual or plumbing diagrams.
Old 05-04-2007, 09:52 PM   #5

1974 23' Safari
jasper , ab
Thanks Kneal I kind of thought that looked like a relief valve. The next question is has anyone ever taken theirs out? if so is the part serviceable or adjustable?
Old 05-04-2007, 10:01 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1976 25' Tradewind
. , Maine to Arizona
Process of Elimination

I pulled mine apart. Dropped the pan with a floor jack and a jig I made up to spread the weight around. There were hoses and wires to the tank and it was full of water. Stunk like heck. No big deal though.
Look around. Might just be a burst line. Copper tubing pops when frozen. It is easy to patch in plastic.
Take your time. Work smart. Remember how it comes apart.

R
fastrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 11:04 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
The diagram I have for your model shows a relief valve at the regulator and hot water tank - but it has its own drain line forward and street side of the bumper area drains. It shows 5 shut offs/drains. One that appears to feed the toilet - two at the fresh water tank - two in the rear where you seem to be leaking water. May just need new washers in the two rear drain valves..?
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 06:38 AM   #8

1974 23' Safari
jasper , ab
Ganglin, Thanks for the post. The valves in the rear under the rear sink/ shower seem to be the gate valve variety and usually they dont leak unless something is under the gate but you are right I should pull them apart and rule them out of sure. I will do that today.

Thanks
Old 06-09-2007, 02:18 PM   #9

1974 29' Ambassador
Westminster , Colorado
I'm also having the same problem with the reilief vale of my 74 ambassador. Has anyone serviced it. I have fixed all the other leaks but I can't seem to get it out, since its behind the regulator and and underneath the bedside table. I do have a manual and its definitely that.
1974Nate is offline   Reply With Quote