Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Safari > 1969 - 1973 Safari
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-11-2012, 04:43 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
San Antonio , Texas
TV Cable?

So I've been working for the last few weeks, and not having a TV in here didn't bother me. But yesterday, I went ahead and got a flatscreen and mount, and installed the TV on the wall between my bed and the kitchen cabinet with the fridge. There's a TV jack and outlet plug there, and I can see the TV from everywhere.
There's a ton of cable inside the cabinet above the fridge. However, I realized it goes to where the roof antenna used to be. (yes, used to be, that's where my now fixed leak was coming from. Apparently it got ripped off...)
So, now I'm wondering how I'm going to hook up my TV. The RV park I'm in has cable, and I see people with a cable going from the pole to somewhere on their RV's. Our old motorhome had a jack on the outside. Now I've realized my vintage 1972 AS was made before cable TV... So, does anyone know if there's maybe something hidden somewhere that I'm not finding, or if I'm going to have to drill a hole somewhere and install a jack myself on the outside of her.
shrimptank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 05:30 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Nothing hidden you are not finding. You will simply need a piece of coax cable run from the television to the outside somewhere convenient. That depends on just where the tv is, and where various cabinets etc are that you can hide it in to the location you wish to have it come out. The cable is small diameter, and easy to fish through places.

BTW cable television is much older than your 1972 trailer, but AS did not put coaxial cable in until sometime in the 1980's I think. And even later when they put an outside cable input on their rigs as sold from the factory.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 05:46 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
+1 to idroba. All you need to do is get a chunk of RG-6 coax with F connectors long enough to run from the park cable TV outlet to your TV and then find a gap in your Airstream big enough to snake it through. I bet there is one on your vintage trailer. Refrigerator and water heater compartments are likely places.

On our 1980 we snake a coax through a crack in the coach battery box into the trailer when we want to hook up to cable TV. The TV sits on a cabinet right next to it, so the cable inside the trailer is out of the way.

Yeah, I know, crude, rude, and socially unacceptable, but it works. . .
Nuvite-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 08:14 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
San Antonio , Texas
Just got back from WalMart with coax and some other connectors. I'm going to fish some down from where the connection is to under where the fridge is and put a plug on there underneath. Then I can have a longer cable run to the post from there. Then, I'll have an outside fitting, but up underneath so I don't have to drill a hole...
shrimptank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 09:20 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
In our 70 model, I went under the wheel well and drilled a hole just big enough to run the cable out through the kitchen sink area (below)..then covertly laced the cable to the modem (which is what I use, as I mostly use the large hp laptop for all viewing in here.) Thus I receive Netflix movies instead of Television. I don't even know what current commercials look like anymore it's been so long.