Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Safari > 1969 - 1973 Safari
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-05-2007, 08:21 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
MUSCLE SHOALS , Alabama
Segment Protector install

I just ordered from Inland RV segment protectors (and solar rock guard) for a 23' 1971 Safari. I have been searching the forums for installation photos and info with no luck so far.
Greg at Inland RV was a tremendus help with verbal instructions, but a picture can answer a lot of questions! Does any one have any photos to post or direction to existing threads?

I'm still a bit new at the forum and spending more time working on the Safari than learning to navigate Airforums.

Thanks in advance for all info.

E Quigley
equigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 05:55 AM   #2
1 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Waterloo , Ontario
we were given a set of segment protectors - salvaged from the dump!!! and want to install on our '71 Safari ... did you find instructions, pictures of how to? we have the protectors, but no hardware - help is appreciated (trying to hide an UGLY 'beauty' mark with the protectors).
71safari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 06:06 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1975 25' Tradewind
Navarre , Florida
Anybody have a detailed installation guide on this? I found a video on Youtube and have a set of directions from ODMRV but if anything else is out there im sure it would help
Rsmied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 07:05 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Two people working together really helps.

Hold the panels in place and mark enough screw holes to hold the segment protectors in place. Mount the protectors and hold offs in place with a minimum number of screws, (easier to make adjustment if necessary). drill, install, and seal the remainder of the screws.

I used SS screws for all fasteners instead of rivets. I sealed and secured screws with aluminum sealant.

Be sure to use the "newer" standoff assemblies - they are much superior to the older, and much smaller, holdoffs.

My install can be found here:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f469...tor-72160.html

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote