Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-20-2024, 08:33 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Roxbury , MA
Removing the trim in 71 safari rear bath

Trying to get this rear bath disassembled and hoping to put as much back in as I can. So I want to minimize demolition.

How do I get this rear trim over the sink and bath counter off so I can drill out the rivets that are under it? As you can see from the photo, my first attempt to remove it didn't go so well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1600.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	255.8 KB
ID:	442937  
yacht_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2024, 08:45 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Roxbury , MA
Well, while trying to carefully disassemble the rear bath of my 71 safari tonight I did this. Seems the old plastic is thin and exceptionally brittle. Guess I'll be designing a new bath. So much for camping this summer.

Give me a day or two to get over it and I'll probably be willing to part with the faucet. Feel free to DM me.

The trailer is new to me and I can't promise this faucet works, but I have no reason to believe it doesn't.

Here's the photo
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1601.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	311.8 KB
ID:	442938  
Old 04-20-2024, 09:24 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Roxbury , MA
Well, if there's a way to delete a thread I can't figure it out. But in trying to gently disassemble the P trap under the sink to assist in overall disassembly, I manage to crack the sink basin. So I guess I get to design a new bathroom now...sigh. Could be worse. At least I don't have to worry about trying to gently disassemble everything else. Let the demo begin!
Old 04-20-2024, 09:35 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Roxbury , MA
Show off your 70s rear bath renos!

I was trying to "gently disassemble" the rear bath of my 71 Safari so I could fix the rot, weld in a new cross member, then put it back together and go camping this summer.

But the 50+ year old plastic had other ideas and the sink now has a big hole in it, and since the sink and counter are one big integral unit there's no point in trying to save any of the bath area anymore. I only wanted to save it because I am trying to rush this job so I can camp in a couple of months.

So here's your chance to show off your 70s rear bath renovations! I'm looking for design ideas. My goal here is simple and cheap, but not ugly. Composting toilet or laveo to avoid a black tank. Probably a camplux portable water heater/shower unit. I'm going to stick with a blue boy for gray water. The idea is still that we can be camping later this summer. I can come back in a few years and install something fancier if we want a more finished look.
Old 04-28-2024, 04:53 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
I went through this with a 72 Tradewind and a 72 Safari. The plastic trim pieces get yellow and brittle with age. There are places like Out of Doors Mart and other that you can buy new trim pieces. If you are careful in taking out the sink then you can find people to re-enamel the plastic and repair and put on fiberglass layers to make it look new. On my Safari we replaced most of the flooring and welded in new braces when we had to replace the black water tank. I had a tile guy re-tile the wet bath and it turned out great.
RichHog is offline   Reply With Quote