Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Safari > 1969 - 1973 Safari
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-27-2019, 11:48 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member

1973 25' Tradewind
Geneva , Florida
If she wants NADA value of $6500-7500 give it to her. I would. I bought my 1973 Tradewind for 5,000 and it wasn't in nearly as good shape as this one. I am in Florida.
Freebird73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 01:00 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
72 Safari 23’ Airstream

I bought same trailer model for $7800 in September. And the one you’re showing looks to be in much better condition.
I’ve replaced the water heater, AC unit, furnace, flooring and black water tank so far spending about $5,000 more..
this trailer may be totally ok for camping in now and all things or most of them may work but you will be investing in updating and replacing sooner than you think.
on the positive side if you pay any thing close to what I did you will start with equity that will increase with any improvements. If you see it and it looks and feels good. GRAB IT! Somebody out there will be willing to pay more than you will and it will go quickly.
RichHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 08:49 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

1998 31' Excella 1000
Simpsonville , South Carolina
That's the best advice i've read so far. See you down the road.
sctinman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 05:03 AM   #24
2 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Clarkton , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichHog View Post
I bought same trailer model for $7800 in September. And the one you’re showing looks to be in much better condition.
I’ve replaced the water heater, AC unit, furnace, flooring and black water tank so far spending about $5,000 more..
this trailer may be totally ok for camping in now and all things or most of them may work but you will be investing in updating and replacing sooner than you think.
on the positive side if you pay any thing close to what I did you will start with equity that will increase with any improvements. If you see it and it looks and feels good. GRAB IT! Somebody out there will be willing to pay more than you will and it will go quickly.
Thank you! If the weather will cooperate, we'll finally get a chance to see it this weekend.
Wildwoman69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 08:17 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Update

Saw the trailer today and it looks very much as expected - great shape for its age but in need of some repairs.

Found about a square foot of rot in the right front where either the front vent or a marker light is leaking.
Sink in the bathroom has an ugly repaired spot, and the trailer will definitely need a new black water tank.
Found one bad spot of metal rot in the rear frame that will need repair.
Due to a significant propane leak, we weren't able to test the stove, but it looks fine.
Refrigerator looks rough and will most likely need replacement.
Front steps are jammed in the out position.
Rock guard is barely attached, but appears repairable with the right tools.
Jacks stands are frozen in place and will most likely need to be cut off.
Axles need to be replaced in the near future.

On the positive side . . .
Hot water heater was replaced at some point, and it appears that a grey water tank was added at the same time (super awesome).
Electrical that we were able to test works fine, but we weren't able to test the AC, which was added in 1977.
Has all original paperwork and manuals, and the title is clear.
All new cushions purchased 2 years ago by the PO.
Tires are relatively new and the rims are an upgrade from the originals.

Best of all, I'm getting a great Airstream at a fair price and my friend is getting more than she expected thanks to all of you and your advice!
Thanks again!
Old 03-04-2019, 10:49 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
felton , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildwoman69 View Post
Saw the trailer today and it looks very much as expected - great shape for its age but in need of some repairs.

Found about a square foot of rot in the right front where either the front vent or a marker light is leaking.
Sink in the bathroom has an ugly repaired spot, and the trailer will definitely need a new black water tank.
Found one bad spot of metal rot in the rear frame that will need repair.
Due to a significant propane leak, we weren't able to test the stove, but it looks fine.
Refrigerator looks rough and will most likely need replacement.
Front steps are jammed in the out position.
Rock guard is barely attached, but appears repairable with the right tools.
Jacks stands are frozen in place and will most likely need to be cut off.
Axles need to be replaced in the near future.

On the positive side . . .
Hot water heater was replaced at some point, and it appears that a grey water tank was added at the same time (super awesome).
Electrical that we were able to test works fine, but we weren't able to test the AC, which was added in 1977.
Has all original paperwork and manuals, and the title is clear.
All new cushions purchased 2 years ago by the PO.
Tires are relatively new and the rims are an upgrade from the originals.

Best of all, I'm getting a great Airstream at a fair price and my friend is getting more than she expected thanks to all of you and your advice!
Thanks again!
very exciting !! I'll follow this thread, would be great to see some pics .. You got a winner there ...
nickclifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 05:01 AM   #27
2 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickclifford View Post
very exciting !! I'll follow this thread, would be great to see some pics .. You got a winner there ...
Thanks! We'll be picking it up a couple of weeks. After that I plan to have a running blog about the trailer here https://adventuresinaluminum.blogspot.com/ to document any repair work and our adventures.
Old 03-05-2019, 05:14 AM   #28
2 Rivet Member

1973 25' Tradewind
Geneva , Florida
The rear rot is common and expected. Make sure to properly flash the rear of the trailer when you make your frame repairs. The problem is caused by the poorly designed toolbox bumper. Rot by the door is common as well. I had a nasty spot om the curbside which was caused by the awning bracket leaking where it was screwed into the wall. You may be able to free up the stabilizer jacks and the door steps by using a generous amount of grease on them. Good luck with your trailer and let us know how it goes!
Freebird73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 06:29 AM   #29
2 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freebird73 View Post
The rear rot is common and expected. Make sure to properly flash the rear of the trailer when you make your frame repairs. The problem is caused by the poorly designed toolbox bumper. Rot by the door is common as well. I had a nasty spot om the curbside which was caused by the awning bracket leaking where it was screwed into the wall. You may be able to free up the stabilizer jacks and the door steps by using a generous amount of grease on them. Good luck with your trailer and let us know how it goes!
Good advise! We're planning to show up with a gallon of BP Blaster to try and break everything free, and we'll look up how to properly flash the rear end before we delve into that repair. I'll keep you all updated on our progress. Thanks so much!
Old 03-06-2019, 06:18 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
I’m completing the replacement on the black water tank and plumbing system on my 72 Safari. When we took it out there was rot in the subfloor and we had to add steel to support the flooring and seal the back end as mentioned. Contact Out of Doors Mart to order a replacement tank. They have a lot of parts you will need on your journey.
Old 03-07-2019, 03:53 AM   #31
2 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Quote:
I’m completing the replacement on the black water tank and plumbing system on my 72 Safari. When we took it out there was rot in the subfloor and we had to add steel to support the flooring and seal the back end as mentioned. Contact Out of Doors Mart to order a replacement tank. They have a lot of parts you will need on your journey.
Excellent info! Thank you. If you have pictures of this repair, please direct me to that post. I will check out Out of Doors Mart too. The only place I've found the replacement tank so far is Vintage Airstream Supply.
Old 03-08-2019, 07:35 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
Black Water Tank

You are right on the Black Water Tank, VTS is the source on the tanks not Out of Doors Mart. From looking at your pictures you have the exact trailer configuration as I do for your 72 Safari. I have done CAD drawings on the black water tank with measurements drawn to scale. VTS has a form that you fill out that shows the tank fittings and location. It took me three drawings to get it right and even then the bottom drain location was off and had to be reconfigured here. You would think that when you order the tank that they were all made the same but evidently that is not the case. Bad news is that when you tear into this repair all of that 1972 plastic that surrounds the bathroom and is part of the wet shower concept is brittle and has to be cut out. So it's a pretty big deal to replace it all and remodel. And when you do get the black tank out you'll discover that much of the plywood underneath is rotted and will need replacement.

There is a thread on the forums for the 70's Safari trailer and that is where I've posted some pics and inquiry into many of the other items I've had to repair/replace.
Old 03-09-2019, 03:43 AM   #33
2 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Quote:
You are right on the Black Water Tank, VTS is the source on the tanks not Out of Doors Mart. From looking at your pictures you have the exact trailer configuration as I do for your 72 Safari. I have done CAD drawings on the black water tank with measurements drawn to scale. VTS has a form that you fill out that shows the tank fittings and location. It took me three drawings to get it right and even then the bottom drain location was off and had to be reconfigured here. You would think that when you order the tank that they were all made the same but evidently that is not the case. Bad news is that when you tear into this repair all of that 1972 plastic that surrounds the bathroom and is part of the wet shower concept is brittle and has to be cut out. So it's a pretty big deal to replace it all and remodel. And when you do get the black tank out you'll discover that much of the plywood underneath is rotted and will need replacement.

There is a thread on the forums for the 70's Safari trailer and that is where I've posted some pics and inquiry into many of the other items I've had to repair/replace.
Fantastic info. I'll track down that thread. It's a bummer to hear that the bathroom will be a bigger deal than we hoped, but its not unexpected!
Old 03-15-2019, 07:22 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
Price Advice 1972 Airstream Safari Twin Axle

Consider it an opportunity to improve on the bathroom.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0779.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	230.5 KB
ID:	335792this is what’s under the tank after some frame repair.
Old 03-24-2019, 03:36 PM   #35
2 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Speaking of improving the bathroom. Are there any threads specifically showing bathroom renovations in a 1972 Safari? I've got some ideas, but I'd love to see what others have done.

And btw, it's official. Paid for "Bertha" last weekend and got the title, tags and insurance worked of this week. Hopefully bringing her home to roost next weekend, but we'll see what the weather has to say about that!
Old 03-24-2019, 07:31 PM   #36
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Congratulations on your new vintage Airstream. We all are anxious to see more pictures of the thing when you are ready.

I like to take my new acquisition and clean the thing thoroughly, like every square inch. Doing this gives me the opportunity to examine every square inch and start a list of things I find needing attention. Things like a bad window gasket here, a soft spot in the subfloor there, a loose belly pan corner, a bad vent gasket, an ill fitting door, and on and on.

Chances are good the trailer will need new axles soon. They last about 30 years. You might have evidence they were already replaced recently.

Your Safari won't have a grey wash water tank, and you can't dump wash water on the ground except on your own property. Plumbing may be a big item on your list.

There are all kinds of ideas on a bath redesign. Airstream does it pretty darn good and they are hard to beat. My old 66 Trade Wind had a poor bath design in my view. Further, the toilet was broken, the tub was cracked, the black tank was broken, and the subfloor was rotted out. Big project. The 66 Trade Wind was a completely different trailer than your 72 Safari.

Here is a photo of the bath I built. Thinking back, I am unsure I would have wasted the space for a small shower stall. I would have rather had a closet there.

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1507 Bath Layout (Small).jpg
Views:	52
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	336452  
WBCCI #8607 VAC Region 11
KnowledgeBase trailer renovation threads: 69 Globetrotter, 76 Sovereign, 75 Overlander, 66 Trade Wind Such fun !
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 11:14 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
There are a ton of ideas on Pinterest. You might not see a specific 72 Safari but under Airstream Rennovation for starts. I’ve pinned all kinds of ideas and pictures I see that I like or when I see a blog or story where someone has written up how to fix the window seals, electrical replacement, anything I like goes to this page for future reference. It amazes me how many photos there are of some elaborate remodels. Lots of bathrooms with tiles.
Old 03-25-2019, 04:23 AM   #38
2 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbj216 View Post
Congratulations on your new vintage Airstream. We all are anxious to see more pictures of the thing when you are ready.

I like to take my new acquisition and clean the thing thoroughly, like every square inch. Doing this gives me the opportunity to examine every square inch and start a list of things I find needing attention. Things like a bad window gasket here, a soft spot in the subfloor there, a loose belly pan corner, a bad vent gasket, an ill fitting door, and on and on.

Chances are good the trailer will need new axles soon. They last about 30 years. You might have evidence they were already replaced recently.

Your Safari won't have a grey wash water tank, and you can't dump wash water on the ground except on your own property. Plumbing may be a big item on your list.

There are all kinds of ideas on a bath redesign. Airstream does it pretty darn good and they are hard to beat. My old 66 Trade Wind had a poor bath design in my view. Further, the toilet was broken, the tub was cracked, the black tank was broken, and the subfloor was rotted out. Big project. The 66 Trade Wind was a completely different trailer than your 72 Safari.

Here is a photo of the bath I built. Thinking back, I am unsure I would have wasted the space for a small shower stall. I would have rather had a closet there.

David
Nice job n the bathroom David. Yeah, we need a new blackwater tank so I figure the bathroom will be the first interior renovation. New axles are on the list and will be on order as soon as we get her home if not before. I haven't taken any pictures yet, so the only ones available were taken by the PO and are at the head of this thread. As soon as we get her home, I'm going to rip out the carpet and start cleaning. I'll take some more pics then. I plan to post progress shots on the following blog - https://adventuresinaluminum.blogspot.com/ - but I'll make an effort to post on the forums too because the advice has been excellent so far, and we could use a lot of help.

Thanks all. I'll start grabbing some Pinterest shots too!

Lydia
Old 03-25-2019, 06:54 PM   #39
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Thanks. It ain't beautiful, but it's functional.

I might suggest you start a "project thread" in the Airstream Knowledgebase toward the bottom of the Forums page. Find Safari, and then your year range. This category is where folks go to learn all about a particular model, like the Safari, and post all kinds of things. It is better that a post in the axle section, or a post in the subfloor section, or a post in the plumbing section, etc. It's fun to follow along in the renovation of these vintage Airstreams. And you will get input from other Safari owners who have walked down the same road.

It is a good place to look for bathroom rebuilds in Safaris also. You can see what other folks have done.

Or, or you can forget I ever mentioned it.

David
WBCCI #8607 VAC Region 11
KnowledgeBase trailer renovation threads: 69 Globetrotter, 76 Sovereign, 75 Overlander, 66 Trade Wind Such fun !
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote