Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Safari > 1969 - 1973 Safari
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-18-2008, 05:59 PM   #1

Currently Looking...
Knoxville , Tennessee
Newbie Question - 1970 Airstream Safari

My apology if there's something posted that will answer any of my questions -- please be patient with me. (smile)

I'm looking at purchasing a 1970 Airstream Safari. I'm looking for the following information:

* Current price estimates on these models
* Manufacturer Spec information (at time of Mfg.)
* Any discussion on how to either find a certified appraiser,
to be used to purchase through bank

-----------

I've found a neat little Safari and am working with the owner to discuss price. In talking to my bank for pre-approval, they've mentioned that they need two appraisals since NADA stopped publishing value for these units in 1975. I'm really at a quandary as to what to do.

I do know that the previous owner remodeled the unit, pulled everything out and replaced it with some art-deco style furniture. In looking at it
(through the windows) I see that it has a banquette table and benches that also double for couches, cabinet, sink, microwave, stove, AC unit. I've also peered into the back of the unit and see a bed and a toilet that's mounted in the back corner. (Sorry, it's dark and I can't see with any detail.) There may be more, but I'll not know until I've been given a chance to look inside.

Does a remodel change the value of the unit? (Up/Down?)

Does anyone have a 1970 Safari that they've redone and would be willing to let me see picture.

Any tales about living in the 1970 Safari... if you like it, or what you'd change.

Thanks for your patience!
Flash
flash729@gmail.com
flash729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 06:26 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by flash729
My apology if there's something posted that will answer any of my questions -- please be patient with me. (smile)

I'm looking at purchasing a 1970 Airstream Safari. I'm looking for the following information:

* Current price estimates on these models
* Manufacturer Spec information (at time of Mfg.)
* Any discussion on how to either find a certified appraiser,
to be used to purchase through bank

-----------

I've found a neat little Safari and am working with the owner to discuss price. In talking to my bank for pre-approval, they've mentioned that they need two appraisals since NADA stopped publishing value for these units in 1975. I'm really at a quandary as to what to do.

I do know that the previous owner remodeled the unit, pulled everything out and replaced it with some art-deco style furniture. In looking at it
(through the windows) I see that it has a banquette table and benches that also double for couches, cabinet, sink, microwave, stove, AC unit. I've also peered into the back of the unit and see a bed and a toilet that's mounted in the back corner. (Sorry, it's dark and I can't see with any detail.) There may be more, but I'll not know until I've been given a chance to look inside.

Does a remodel change the value of the unit? (Up/Down?)

Does anyone have a 1970 Safari that they've redone and would be willing to let me see picture.

Any tales about living in the 1970 Safari... if you like it, or what you'd change.

Thanks for your patience!
Flash
flash729@gmail.com
It's near impossible to establish even a ball park price, without photo's and/or personal inspection.

A large cost item, the axle or axles, you can check out yourself.

Dura Torque Axle

What's the condition of the exterior metal, the clear coat, the entrance door gaskets, the window gaskets, the sewer vent pipe gaskets, the access compartment gaskets?

Are the LPG bottles in date? Any LPG leaks? Any rain water leaks? Any rotted plywood?

Does the trailer have a rockguard over the front 3 windows?

What brand AC is on the coach? The original was an Armstrong.

Condition of the water heater, original or new? Furnace, original or new? Refrigerator original or new? If original does it work on gas and electric? If new, does it work properly?

When were the water pump valves replaced?

Is there any leaks relating to the black water system?

Does the entrance door fit the opening squarely, or is the door leaning to one side?

How about the converter called the univolt? Original or a replacement?

Tires and wheels? Are the wheels rusted" Is the running gear properly balanced? Are the tires new?

Condition of the brakes? When were the bearings packed and the grease seals replaced, and the brakes serviced?

Does the coach have rear end separation?

Any internal water system leaks? Was the water system ever frozen?

These are just some of the questions that must have good answers, "BEFORE" any value can be established.

Experience dictates that you should have satisfactory answers to at least the above questions, before you buy. If not, then be prepared to spend tons of money, simply correcting problems.

Ask those that have been there and done that?

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 06:42 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1994 34' Excella
1978 31' Sovereign
Mansfield , Georgia
Hi flash792,

You have found the best site on the internet to ask questions about Vintage Airstreams. I researched for hours and hours before I bought my Vintage Airstream.

I personnaly, do not know the specifics about a 1970 Safari, but if I were researching that Airstream model I would check the pricing guide located on this site as my first stop.

My second stop would be to check the members listed here that are close to your area. Each member lists if they are willing to inspect trailers for a given geographical area, usually within 50 miles of their location.

It's free advise from knowledgeable Vintage Airstream owners. They can show you what to look for and common problem areas.

Free expert advice from an independant resource....a pretty good deal. If you buy their lunch I bet you'll end up talking Airstreams for hours. Ha.
KeithC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 08:49 PM   #4
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Here is a link to some pictures: 70Safari

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 07:27 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
Welcome and good luck in making your decision to buy this particular Airstream. Andy has some very good answers. Read them over a few times and then take a look at the trailer again....just to be sure. There is no "perfect" vintage Airstream and each one has it's own special needs.

We are all here to help and learn from each other...so ask lot's of questions.

Can you post some pictures...both inside and out?
Old 05-20-2008, 03:31 AM   #6

Currently Looking...
Knoxville , Tennessee
Unhappy Man I'm Bummed...

Thanks for all your comments. Looks like talks have broken down and I'll not be able to get the Airstream after all. (Yes, I'll still lust from afar.) They want too much for me to pay cash, aren't willing to help find an appraiser (they paid too much) and my bank's holding me hostage with the requirement of two appraisals.

I finally sent them a message thanking them for considering me, but telling them I was at a dead end - too much drama.

While this one got away, I'm still looking through your forum for a good unit that I could gut and redo and call my own. I've got the bug (and this is a good one)... will not stop until I get what I want. (And more!)

Thanks all for your support and information. I did as suggested and read all the information, kept looking at all the pictures and dreaming. (It was good even for a little while.)

Hugs,
Flash
flash729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 07:14 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
No worries flash, the right one will come along. I've been looking passively for almost a year, and actively for about 4 months, but still don't have one. The best thing you can do is keep on reading the forums and talking to vintage Airstream owners in order to educate yourself, so that when the right one does come along, you'll know it.

The two best pieces of advice I continue to receive from veteran AS owners are:

1) There will always be another one.
2) It's much easier to buy the right one, than to try to sell the wrong one.

Good luck on your search!

-Marcus
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 08:34 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
Sorry you missed out on the Safari! I own a 70 safari, it really is a great size and layout.

Can I ask how much the seller was looking to get for the trailer?
Proud Member of the Wally Byam Airstream Club #24260

www.campnova.com

The “Ohio Airstreamer -- Informal forum for weekend camping” thread.
DanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 09:24 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Middletown , New Jersey
Don't worry, the axle on that one looked pretty shot (at least based on the curb side photo).

Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

TAC - NJ-007

bobfowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 09:43 PM   #10
Marshalls Corner Shop

1970 23' Safari
Clarkston , Michigan
We have a 70 Safari as well. My wife and I like the 69 and 70 models since they still have real wood interiors and the vista view windows up front. The first thing I check when look at these is if there is a separation between the rear frame and the body. There usually is and it's either a good bargaining point (if your handy) or reason to walk away (if not so handy). Now is a good time to buy as I have not seen prices this low for used units in some time.
Good luck,
Dean
Marshalls Corner Shop
Clarkston, MI
drm101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 10:43 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Welcome to the forums...that one got away, but that just means something better is waiting to find you...and it will. Keep the faith...the bug has bit, so you're hooked.

Happy trails.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 11:00 AM   #12
1 Rivet Member

1970 23' Safari
Holland , MI
Hi Flash, and everyone else,
we have a 1970 Safari and absolutely love it. We never thought we would end up living in for the summer - but due to new jobs and location, we found a local campground and cut the cummute on two vehicles from 1.5 round trip to less than 15 minutes.

We have done extensive work as it had many needs and is a work in progress. But we have all new plumbing.

We like it more and more and are very content with a 23 footer

Good luck on your search - the right one is out there

Doug
Doogie521 is offline   Reply With Quote