Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-02-2009, 06:25 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Grimsby , Ontario
Need help on our trailer

We recently bought a '72 Safari 23ft trailer, that had been parked for a few years. We are planning on taking it on it's first trip to a family reunion in Quebec. In the bathroom the sliding cabinet door is off its' track and I would like to know the best way to get it back on. Also at the front , the command center sliding door, one rib has fallen off. What kind of glue would anyone recommend using to re-glue it? Thanks
CdnSafari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 10:07 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Need help on our trailer

Greetings CdnSafari!

Welcome to the Forums and the world of Vintage Airstreams!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CdnSafari View Post
We recently bought a '72 Safari 23ft trailer, that had been parked for a few years. We are planning on taking it on it's first trip to a family reunion in Quebec.
Have your prepared the coach's running gear and safety equipment for this journey. If it hasn't had regular maintenance issues attended to, they should be a priority before the trip.

Quote:
In the bathroom the sliding cabinet door is off its' track and I would like to know the best way to get it back on.
The tambour doors are known for this problem. Look inside of the cabinet looking for a plastic "roller-track". Typically, this track is either riveted or screwed to the cabinet. At least one of these tracks will need to be removed to service the tambour. Each of these plastic runner-tracks will need to be cleaned and treated with silicone to ease movement. The tambours will need to be examined for damaged slats -- sand paper should be enough to smooth any rough edges on the tambour. The gnerally accepted repair is to glue a sheet of muslin or fine burlap to the back of the tambour (keep edges of the fabric 1/4 to 1/2" away from the edges so that it won't interfere with the tracks). Once any glue has had the time to cure, the tambour can be reinstalled.

Quote:
Also at the front , the command center sliding door, one rib has fallen off. What kind of glue would anyone recommend using to re-glue it? Thanks
The repair method for the command center tambour is the same as for the bathroom tambour -- repairing tambour almost always requires removal. Again, muslin or fine burlap will need to be glued to the back of the tambour to reinforce the existing tambour and to reattach the piece of tambour that has broken loose.

I have seen Gorilla Glue recommended for this project by several who have had to make these repairs. My tambour was beyond reasonable repair so had to be replaced.

Good luck with your trip preparations!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 04:34 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Grimsby , Ontario
Thanks,I pulled it 250 miles to get it home with no problems.I'm changing all the lights now.Do you know where to get New tailite lenses and gaskets? When the lights are done the wheels come off.
Old 06-03-2009, 04:39 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
old mystic , Connecticut
If they are the same as a 72 Tradewind , we got ours at our local NAPA auto parts store.

Annette
bullydogsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 04:58 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Grimsby , Ontario
Have they got three screw holes?
Old 06-03-2009, 05:11 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
old mystic , Connecticut
Quote:
Have they got three screw holes?

The camper is stored at our business I'll check tomorrow.

Annetter
Old 06-04-2009, 04:49 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
old mystic , Connecticut
Here's a picture of our tail lights, and yes they have 3 screws in them. Got both the red and white ones at NAPA>
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1175.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	212.2 KB
ID:	81652  
Old 06-04-2009, 05:14 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Grimsby , Ontario
Thanks,I didn't think they would still be available.Today at work I looked through the Grote and Trucklite catalogs,and I'll get new ones tomorrow.All new lenses look So much better.
Old 06-04-2009, 06:34 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
The best thing you can do is take off the tambour and do the job right.

But, the distance between the bottom and top track may have increased allowing the tambour to slip out. You may be able to bow the tambour to get it back on track. Also the guide between the extruded aluminum track and spiral track may be misaligned. You can use some pressure to get it back where it should be. Another common problem is end fraying of the backing fabric. This can be trimmed back. The backing fabric can be also replaced with nylon or other synthetics and other materials which will last longer.

Any tambour in any condition can be repaired it just depends on how much time you are willing to put into it.