Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Safari > 1969 - 1973 Safari
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-14-2019, 07:22 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
How does this outside panel go on?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0776.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	185.0 KB
ID:	331730

It’s been a few months since I had to pry this outside panel that cover s the refrigerator and I cant get it to go back in place. I take it the latch goes to the bottom and I think the lip goes under the top but it doesn’t want to go in place. Could be bent. Any thoughts from a 72 Safari owner or similar?
RichHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 07:40 PM   #2
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
It can be a pain, I know...

the door must be positioned horizontal or maybe with the lock end higher then the hinge side. Then the edge on the hinge is inserted into the grove on the trailer half of the hinge. Make sure that the door is aligned perfectly with the opening or the edge may not go in. My method (previous trailer) was to grasp the door with both hands (one on each side) and use my head under the door to help support it. Make sure the edge is fully inserted into the grove or the door will not close and may pop out when you lower it.

It is fun to do this on a rainy morning when the fridge will not light with the sparker and you go outside to use a lighter and the door falls to the ground.

Good luck!

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 07:43 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1970 23' Safari
Marion , New York
The curved hinge riveted to the top of the door panel hooks into a slot on the underside of the drip moulding at the top of the opening. You need to tilt the door upwards enough to hook the hinge into the slot. Make sure the hinge is centered between the two pop rivets on either side of the slot. My hinge is bent more than yours but I can still get it to slide into the slot with a little jiggling. The trouble is, if you open the door to far the hinge will fall out of the slot again.
DremStremer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 08:48 PM   #4

1972 31' Sovereign
Elizabeth , Colorado
Looks like the right sid of the hinge on the door is a little damaged. Try to carefully clean that side up to match the rest of the hinge half. Could be a tedious job with a common screwdriver. Sometimes it helps to have a third hand as you are trying to match the two channels together. Because of all the curves on the AS, sometimes you need to apply pressure in the middle of the door near the groove to get them to line up. All the windows and smaller outside panels come off and go on the same way. Good luck!
trombone guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 08:57 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichHog View Post
Attachment 331730

It’s been a few months since I had to pry this outside panel that cover s the refrigerator and I cant get it to go back in place. I take it the latch goes to the bottom and I think the lip goes under the top but it doesn’t want to go in place. Could be bent. Any thoughts from a 72 Safari owner or similar?
Judging from the pic it looks like the hinge part on the door may be a really tight fit between the 2 pop rivets on the trailer part. Hold the door up and check. You might want to trim a little off each end of the door hinge.
The door must be close to verticle in order to mate with the trailer side.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 06:38 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
Thanks, will exercise force and care on reassembly.
Old 01-15-2019, 06:41 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster View Post
It can be a pain, I know...

the door must be positioned horizontal or maybe with the lock end higher then the hinge side. Then the edge on the hinge is inserted into the grove on the trailer half of the hinge. Make sure that the door is aligned perfectly with the opening or the edge may not go in. My method (previous trailer) was to grasp the door with both hands (one on each side) and use my head under the door to help support it. Make sure the edge is fully inserted into the grove or the door will not close and may pop out when you lower it.

It is fun to do this on a rainy morning when the fridge will not light with the sparker and you go outside to use a lighter and the door falls to the ground.

Good luck!

That’s really using your head! Might give that a try.
Old 01-15-2019, 06:43 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by DremStremer View Post
The curved hinge riveted to the top of the door panel hooks into a slot on the underside of the drip moulding at the top of the opening. You need to tilt the door upwards enough to hook the hinge into the slot. Make sure the hinge is centered between the two pop rivets on either side of the slot. My hinge is bent more than yours but I can still get it to slide into the slot with a little jiggling. The trouble is, if you open the door to far the hinge will fall out of the slot again.

OK I will move forward on aligning to the slot. Thanks!
Old 01-16-2019, 04:57 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1976 31' Excella 500
Chappell Hill , Texas
My hinge is on the bottom.
tbashin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 09:42 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
How does this outside panel go on?

Still working on this art. I think I’m buying a safety chain to attach it so that it doesn’t fall off while on the road. Can’t or don’t even want to ever have to find a replacement for this part number..