Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-21-2024, 07:49 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1969 23' Safari
Spokane , Washington
Fuse block diagram

I'm trying to understand the fuse assignments in our '69 Safari. Does anyone have a diagram, or know a source for a diagram?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fuse block.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	245.8 KB
ID:	443613  
CCC69Safari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2024, 08:31 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Two Places , Sticks & Bricks
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCC69Safari View Post
I'm trying to understand the fuse assignments in our '69 Safari. Does anyone have a diagram, or know a source for a diagram?
This is a link to an owners manual for your trailer. Notice this manual is for all 1969 trailers. There are some electrical schematics included.
You may have to remove each fuse, one at a time, to evaluate what is on each circuit.

https://www.airstream.com/wp-content...-manual-49.pdf
(1973 31' Excella, 1978 31' Excella, 1987 32' Excella, 1999 30' Excella, 2000 25' Safari)
A W Warn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2024, 11:00 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1969 23' Safari
Spokane , Washington
Thanks, A W. I actually have the original owner's manual (same as in the link) that I received from the 2nd owner when we bought the Safari a few months ago. I'll dive into it again, but it's not as clear about fuse circuits as I was expecting. I may need to do as you suggested.
Old 05-21-2024, 11:38 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
RE: Vintage Airstream Owner's Manuals

Greetings CCC69Safari!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCC69Safari View Post
Thanks, A W. I actually have the original owner's manual (same as in the link) that I received from the 2nd owner when we bought the Safari a few months ago. I'll dive into it again, but it's not as clear about fuse circuits as I was expecting. I may need to do as you suggested.
You are discovering one of the idiosyncrasies of Airstream's early attempts at Owner's Manuals. Airstream didn't begin to publish Owner's Manuals for their Trailers until 1964. Prior to 1964, the owner was provided with a manilla envelope filled with the various manuals and installation guides for the appliances and accessories installed on the trailer. Beginning in 1964, the new owner received that manilla envelope filled with literature as well as an official Owner's Manual -- often the only difference between manuals of a particular year was the page where the floor plan was illustrated otherwise the manuals were identical. The manuals improved gradually over the years, but they were still in their infancy when the manual for your 1969 Safari was published. I suspect that it is more informative than the one for my 1964 Overlander Land Yacht International, but somewhat less informative than one published for the new 2024 trailers. I know that the first two owners of my Overlander made a plethora of notes in the margins of my manual regarding various peculiarities of the various functions of the trailer that were quite helpful when I first acquired the trailer nearly 29 years ago.

Good luck with your Safari!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2024, 12:36 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1969 23' Safari
Spokane , Washington
Thanks Kevin.

I've discovered that about manuals. I expected to be able to find a service manual online, or in archives at Jackson Center, but no. Our owner's manual also has notes, and red pen underlines of important items specific to Safaris. It also has some of the service records folded inside the front cover. It's been well used (and rebound) and I have found it very useful, and I am indebted to the previous owners for taking care of some of the 55 years of records.

I've been surprised and a little humbled at the degree of support in the vintage Airstream community. In addition to help on this site, there is the Facebook Airstream Restoration site (imagine a "private" site with 33,000 members), Jackson Center, where a restoration tech went to the trouble to highlight a wiring diagram and email it to me to help me discover the purpose of the mystery toggle switch inside the door, and the local Spokane dealership that gave me tips on what to look for before we bought it; and then packed bearings, replaced a few seals and did some brake and brake wiring work and gave some axle advice on something a lot older than they usually work on after we bought it.

We are very new to the vintage Airstream world and were lucky enough to find a time capsule. It passed the sag test, the soft floor test and the smell test, and now we have a way to access the years of information that people like you have. We'll make a few trips to the Washington and Oregon coast this summer, then spend some time (and money) over the winter doing some deeper restoration work.

Thanks again.