RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 07-21-2003, 03:37 PM   #1
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
Daughter fell out of the trailer...

We were camping last week in Lake Tahoe and had a great time except for a little incident.

My 18 month old likes to lean on the trailer's screen door and look outside. One time someone forgot to latch it and she took a nice tumble out. Luckily I was nearby and caught her on the way down and she only suffered a scratch on the chin.

This brings me to this question. The screen door has two slide latches. One holds the screen to the door when it is not used. And the other locks the screen closed when the screen is being used.

The problem is the screen has to be manually latched closed to keep it locked. You have to reach in through the screen opening to latch and unlatch the screen.

I was just wondering if that is how it is supposed to be?
Check out my book: Restoring a Dream
Check out my Airstream book for kids!: Airstream Adventures
theVAP - Airstream Podcast
Safari Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 04:35 PM   #2
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
'Fraid so. My Tradewind has the same setup.
Old 07-21-2003, 04:48 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Austin , Texas
Good to hear she is ok, just tell the wife it is a good thing you didn't have a fifth wheel or else. . . . .

I had the same worry but about my wife's dogs, a Yorkie and a Maltese. If I am using the screen door and they see another dog, no matter how big , they will almost push it open. All it has now is a spring catch which will open easily under light pressure. My Argosy had a flat slide bolt added to the door, I guess that is what you have, which kept it from opening. Maybe I will add it to my Overlander.

Chas
Chas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 04:58 PM   #4
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
Quote:
Originally posted by Chas
Good to hear she is ok, just tell the wife it is a good thing you didn't have a fifth wheel or else. . . . . My Argosy had a flat slide bolt added to the door, I guess that is what you have, which kept it from opening. Maybe I will add it to my Overlander.

Chas
Yep. She was just shook up pretty good. But went back to her post looking out the screen. She is a pretty tough little girl.

That is exactly what it is a flat side bolt. There is also the reminants of a black spring clip like those used on the closet doors or that hold the front rock guard down. The slide part is missing.

I was wondering if this was supposed to be there some how.

Also, how do you take those black clippy things apart? I have one on the front of the trailer I could use on the screen if it is supposed to be there.
Old 07-21-2003, 05:08 PM   #5
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Actually, I don't have to reach in to latch the screen door. It latches when the screen gets closed all the way. i do have to reach in to unlatch it, though.

I was not able yet to remove on e of the old slide locks without destroying it.
The replacements are slightly different, and require a shim for certain applications. The one i installed tpo hold the main door open is made from aluminum and plastic, instead of just black plastic. It has the mounting holes outside the housing. InlandRV has them on their website.
Old 07-21-2003, 06:39 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Uwe i'm glad your daughter was ok ! The way it is supposed to work is ,when the screendoor is closed its supposed to held in place with the latch but with enough force it should be able to be pulled open, against the spring tension of the latch I was fortunate enough to have gotten mine adjusted just right it takes some time but its doable I promise !
71tradewind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 07:10 PM   #7
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
Quote:
Originally posted by 71tradewind
Uwe i'm glad your daughter was ok ! The way it is supposed to work is ,when the screendoor is closed its supposed to held in place with the latch but with enough force it should be able to be pulled open, against the spring tension of the latch I was fortunate enough to have gotten mine adjusted just right it takes some time but its doable I promise !
What does the latch look like? Is it the same as the one that holds the main door open against the trailer?
Old 07-21-2003, 07:21 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

Tim its just like that one. I will try and take a picture of it and post it .
Old 07-21-2003, 08:18 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

Ok heres a picture it ! I would not rely on this for a small child pushing against it . But it does do a good of holding the door shut .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dsc00422 (small).jpg
Views:	393
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	2388  
Old 07-21-2003, 09:03 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Austin , Texas
Yes, those black clippy things come apart. I hit one with my compounder on the rear bumper storage and it went flying in pieces. I was able to find everything and put it back together though. I believe they need to be disassembled in order to mount them, the screws are under the sliding part. I have heard that they are not exactly available anymore. They look like part of a cabinet latch to me.

It is in no way similar to the main door hold open latch. BTW, if yours is bad all you need to do is drill the rivets out of it, replace the spring and put it back together.

Chas
Chas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 09:13 PM   #11
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
Great. That's what I thought. I have those pieces to the latch that are broken. But there is one on the front of my trailer that is not being used.

So I can move it to the screen if I can figure out how to remove it w/o ruining it

Thanks for the photo and the info.
Old 07-22-2003, 04:14 AM   #12
Rivet Master

My screen door has also been the subject of attack from an 18 month old lady. The first line of defence was a screen protector, so she didn't break through the mesh. I looked at the standard Airstream protector, but eventually preferred and fitted an aluminium color screen door protector from Home Depot, cut down in size to fit the lower half of the door. It looks great. While looking at the latch problem, I saw a solution. My Excella main door is fitted with a very strong sliding tongue bolt, operated by turning a knob on the wall inside the trailer. The tongue slides into the hidden edge of the main door when the door is closed. When the main door is clipped open, turning the knob projects the tongue, and traps the screen door in position. To open and close the screen door from outside, we pull back the plastic sliding section at half height, and reach through. Problem solved for us. Now if anyone has a simple solution for solving teenager problems....... Nick
Old 07-22-2003, 10:01 AM   #13
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
The '03 is the same. I also plan on adding the screen guards as well so the pooch stops trashing the screen.

Glad to hear she was ok.

Eric
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote