Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Safari > 1969 - 1973 Safari
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-29-2015, 12:03 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1969 23' Safari
Mohnton , Pennsylvania
Battery question

I have some battery questions. The trailer still has a very old battery in it and its time to replace it. I am assuming I need the battery due to the electric brakes and the break away switch, the battery would power up the brakes at that point?

If it werent for the brakes I probably wouldnt replace the battery at this point. were only going to be at campgrounds this year and will power up that way once there.

What size is this battery and were do I find something this big?
69bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 01:10 PM   #2
jay

1974 27' Overlander
danville , New Hampshire
battery size

If you look at the battery the Group number will normally be printed somewhere on a label. Group 24, 27, or 29 are most common. If you are not able to find a label with the group number take the dimensions and go to wally world (or your prefered vendor) and get a battery that is the same size.

Jay.
jaygood31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 01:16 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
The brakes are operated by engaging electric magnets. In the event that your trailer becomes separated from your tow vehicle (TV) the battery provides that power to stop, since it's no longer coupled to the TV. Most states require that safety feature so you'd need a battery to make it work.

The replacement battery/batteries would depend on your current battery box size, number of batteries and configuration. (It takes 12 volts so that could be 1 12 volt, 2 12 volts in parallel or 2 6 volts in series. At minimal, you'll need 1 12 volt, group 24 battery fully charged. It should be a deep cycle battery, not ignition battery. Home Depot, Walmart and others carry low cost batteries, take your old one for the exchange.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 01:22 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Just a few other things to think about--many of the items in your trailer run on 12V. These are typically the ceiling lights, any vent fans, bathroom fan, etc.. YOu will get 12V with your converter plugged into the 110V AC, but some converters require a battery in the system. If you are still using your old "Univolt," you might consider getting a modern replcement as the old units are notorious for boiling batteries.

Good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 01:26 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
If you are not going to be operating dry, with no hookups at all this year (or any time) all you need is the smallest battery at a reasonable price. I would recommend a group #24 Marine type battery from Walmart/Sams Club/Costco. Minimal cost and would do the break away switch, brake issue just fine. It does not even needs to be a deep cycle type to provide just the break away function just fine, but the cost of a marine type (semi deep cycle) is about the same as any regular automotive battery, so I would get one of those.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 02:30 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
I've been using a Walmart marine battery in my Safari. That was what was in it when I bought it. They cost a little over $100. They usually last 2-3 seasons. I camp often where there are no hookups. The single battery in my Safari will easily go two days boondocking, when not using the furnace. When using the furnace in cold weather I charge it every evening for about 2-3 hours.

There is a smaller one at Walmart that would do what you need, for about $65.
Old 09-15-2015, 12:22 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Taos , New Mexico
A deep cycle marine battery is what we went with last year. So far so good. I did have to replace the univolt unit this year. The way we found out the univolt needed replacement was the hard way - when we were on our way home from Tucson earlier this year we stopped in Las Vegas, NM overnight. It got down to 15 degrees or so that night. That was the night the univolt unit went out. No problem? Well, the furnace fan drained the battery (yes we were hooked to shore 120V service - to Belgedhel's point above) and quit running after about an hour and no lights except the 120v lights. Now I have a new univolt unit + a catalytic heater which requires no electric and a fast connect to the propane supply off an LP hose which was added at the furnace under the sink - we can't risk being out in the cold with no furnace capability. Also - what if the power goes out in the trailer park you are in? It does happen
kdickinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 12:48 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2019 23' International
Portland , Oregon
Costco Group 24 around $70 with core. It's an Interstate battery with different color and graphics
leedav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 05:28 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1969 23' Safari
Mohnton , Pennsylvania
Well I ended up buying a marine battery and marine battery box. I traded in the 40yr old large tractor battery. I still have the univolt system for now, dont fix what isnt broken yet.
69bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 05:57 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
In this case, it's good to fix what isn't broken. Replace the univolt with a modern unit. Your new battery will love you for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Past President, El Camino Real Unit WBCCI#6620
Street Rod Builder (see avatar)
Kite flier (check out links below)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bp3nuNtlZcA&t=331s
https://www.youtube.com/my_videos?feature=mhee
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote