Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-04-2013, 09:55 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Arlington Hts , Illinois
Any other '71 Safari 23 footers with dual axles?

I was interested to note while browsing Airstream's specs for the 1971 models last night that the shortest version with dual axles was the 25 footer. Yet our 23 foot 197 Safari Land Yacht definitely has dual axles.

Anybody else with dual axles on a 23 foot 1971 Safari Land Yacht?
MrJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 03:35 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Camas , Washington
We have a 72 Safari 23' with dual axles. There are more out there.
Pams72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 05:19 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

We have a 23 ft. ' 71 Safari with dual axles.
Dbraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 05:35 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
London , Ontario
Hi

Dual Axles were an option on 1971 23' Models, I think they were made standard in 1972.

Andrew T

"One test is worth a thousand expert opinions."
Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot
Andrew T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 11:10 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Arlington Hts , Illinois
Thanks for the clarifications

Thanks for letting me know dual axles were an option in '71, and that at least one other '71 has that option.
Old 03-23-2014, 09:50 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Florence , Alabama
Me too. 1971, 23 footer with dual axles.
Harvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 10:52 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Arlington Hts , Illinois
Welcome Harvel!

Glad to hear you also have a '71 Safari with dual axles. If like us you need any unusual work done on your trailer, we are very happy with the help ours got this past fall and winter from C&G Trailer Service in Bellflower, CA (cgtrailer.com).

Most places we checked only wanted to do standard repairs, not restoration or remodeling on a trailer so old, but C&G was happy to do everything on our wish list except couldn't figure out a good way to separate our shower from our toilet. They did, however, (among other fixes) replace the missing cabinet behind the toilet, and recreate from scratch an aluminum battery compartment door that looks just like the missing original. They also added a clever mount for a spare tire under the front hitch. Good people who have worked on Airstreams their whole lives.

One other painful learning: ours didn't come with a rockguard for the front windows, but has one now, after a front corner window broke in Mexico. Replacing it took months, and cost as much as the rockguard.
Old 04-29-2014, 04:28 PM   #8
Kei
Hope

1971 23' Safari
Anthem , Arizona
Looking at '71 23' Safari dual axle and have question regarding value

Hello '71 23' dual axle Safari owners ,

My wife and I are currently looking at a '71 23' Safari Twin and would appreciate your candid feedback. The exterior is in good shape and recently polished, but the interior needs a lot of work to replace the cushions and roller panels on all the cabinets. The windows are good, but all the seals need to be replaced. AC works, but don't know what to look for as far as heating, water holding tanks, black water tanks, etc.

The asking price is $13K. I just read this helpful web page (Price vs. Condition - Vintage Airstream ) that states a restored "like new condition" is valued between $10K - $18K and As-Is "Average" is less than $10K.

My wife and I want to renovate the Airstream with an upgraded bath and front dinette sleeper, but we are concerned that paying $12K - 13K, might make renovating cost prohibitive.

Please reply with your thoughts regarding value, offer price, experience with restoring and cost, etc. and thank you in advance for your candid feedback!

Kei
Kei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 04:52 PM   #9

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Without seeing photos of the interior, etc. it sounds like someone is selling the polish job. "Needs all the tambour doors" and "needs all the cushions replaced" and "needs all new seals on the windows" is a pretty rough start at $13k, and we haven't talked about plumbing, condition of the plywood subfloor, awning, state of the axles, brakes and electrical, etc. I know polishing is expensive, but my sense (as a cynic who hasn't seen evidence of the condition of those other systems I mentioned) is that it's priced a little high.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 07:38 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

We have had our '71 23' Safari for about 10 years. Replaced all window screens and seals. Removed furnace and now use a small electric space heater. Replaced ref. Removed carpet and replaced with vinyl tiles. Our Safari does not have a black water tank so we use a blue boy tank if campground does not have full hookups. Antenna replaced. Price sounds too high.
Dbraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 12:43 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Marietta , Georgia
We've had our dual axle '71 Safari twin for 5 years. It's a nice unit. Light weight considering the size. It tows really well behind my V8 4Runner. The ProPride hitch helps.
pickerdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 07:55 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Florence , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kei View Post
Hello '71 23' dual axle Safari owners ,

My wife and I are currently looking at a '71 23' Safari Twin and would appreciate your candid feedback. The exterior is in good shape and recently polished, but the interior needs a lot of work to replace the cushions and roller panels on all the cabinets. The windows are good, but all the seals need to be replaced. AC works, but don't know what to look for as far as heating, water holding tanks, black water tanks, etc.

The asking price is $13K. I just read this helpful web page (Price vs. Condition - Vintage Airstream ) that states a restored "like new condition" is valued between $10K - $18K and As-Is "Average" is less than $10K.

My wife and I want to renovate the Airstream with an upgraded bath and front dinette sleeper, but we are concerned that paying $12K - 13K, might make renovating cost prohibitive.

Please reply with your thoughts regarding value, offer price, experience with restoring and cost, etc. and thank you in advance for your candid feedback!

Kei
I've only owned my Safari dual axle a few months, it's in really clean shape inside and out. Maybe I'm just lucky but I only paid a third of what is being asked for your camper.
To any one else out there, my main interest right now is obtaining a proper towing vehicle. Thinking about getting a used 1500 pickup or maybe even a 2500 diesel. From a cost standpoint which is the most feasible way to go? Who's using what to pull their 23 Ft. Safari?
Old 05-01-2014, 08:05 PM   #13
1 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Florence , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbraw View Post
We have had our '71 23' Safari for about 10 years. Replaced all window screens and seals. Removed furnace and now use a small electric space heater. Replaced ref. Removed carpet and replaced with vinyl tiles. Our Safari does not have a black water tank so we use a blue boy tank if campground does not have full hookups. Antenna replaced. Price sounds too high.
I need to also replace window screens and seals on my Safari. No problem, it seems for the screens, but where did you get the seals? Any tips? Did you spruce up the shower/toilet area?
Old 05-02-2014, 01:48 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Arlington Hts , Illinois
We originally paid just over $4K for our '71 Safari with dual axles, but have added enough since to be over $15K, with all the running gear now new and everything present and working properly. As noted before, we used C&G Trailer Service (cgtrailer.com) for the hard parts we and the selling Airstream dealer couldn't handle, and were grateful to find them.

We intentionally did NOT get ours polished, as that would scream "steal me" where ours goes. It's safe on the outside, and nice on the inside.

As for a tow vehicle, ours is a 2005 Honda Pilot 4WD V6, rated to pull 4,500# of boat, but only 3,500# of anything else, so on the edge for a trailer that weighs 3,530# empty. The Pilot has worked very well across country and over mountains and down dirt roads. We have an anti-sway hitch rated for 6K #, and never exceed 59MPH. We also have about $15K in the Pilot now, with everything working and maintained properly at 153K miles. It's a great and fuel-efficient 8 passenger car for when we are not pulling trailer too, though a Toyota Sequoia V8 would have had more towing margin (9K #), had we been able to find a good one used for anywhere near the price we paid. One caution on diesel is that newer ones can't be used in Mexico, which mattered to us.
Old 05-02-2014, 11:53 AM   #15
1 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Florence , Alabama
Thanks Mr Jim.
That's encouraging about the Honda Pilot. I may have been overlooking some good choices.
Harvel
Old 05-02-2014, 12:02 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Marietta , Georgia
I tow my '71 23' tandem Safari with my 2008 V8 4Runner using a ProPride 3P hitch with 1000 lb hitch bars. The 4Runner is also my daily driver. Even fully loaded (5K pounds) the Safari is well within the towing weight limits of my 4Runner (7k pounds). I've pulled it well over 10k miles so far with my 4Runner and I average 10-12 mpg at 60-65 mph.
pickerdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 01:37 PM   #17
Kei
Hope

1971 23' Safari
Anthem , Arizona
Thank you!

Thank you everyone for your candid feedback. My wife Michelle and I are officially “Vintage Airstreamers”! We purchased the 1971 23’ Airstream Safari Twin with dual axle!
To avoid high jacking this thread, we are documenting our renovation in a new thread (Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum Hope's Log - '71 23' Safari Twin Renovation Journal) We hope you participate in our journey by reading and providing your feedback!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AS3.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	211071  
Old 06-22-2016, 11:46 AM   #18

1971 23' Safari
Manhattan beach , California
This is an old post and I am new to forum, but I just put down a deposit on a '71 with dual axles
Uberklasse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 11:19 AM   #19
Kei
Hope

1971 23' Safari
Anthem , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbraw View Post
Hello Dbraw,

Can you share with me the make/model of the refrigerator you purchased as a replacement, as well as the size/gallons blue boy tank you use?

Kei
"Hope"
1971 23' Safari Land Yacht (Dual Axle)
Kei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 02:36 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Stockbridge , Georgia
My 72 has dual axles.
themartaman1 is offline   Reply With Quote