Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-25-2017, 11:41 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Oak Harbor , Ohio
Adding new holding tanks 1972 Safari

Hi! We are new owners of a 23' twin axle, twin bed 1972 Safari. We are at the beginning of a frame-on restoration. The PO gutted the trailer but we have most of the parts, with the exception of the black tank, toilet and shower pan (3/4 wet bath). This model year did not have a gray tank and we'd like to add one in the frame. We will be doing some rear frame repair/welding and hope to add the gray tank then. If you have added a gray and/or replaced a black (above floor) tank, we would really appreciate knowing where you got the tanks and where and how you mounted the gray tank in the frame. We've read lots of blog posts and watched YouTube videos, but this seems to be the place for great information.
Thanks so much! Andrea & Ted
AndiGirl1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 01:35 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
I replaced the black tank and retro-fitted two grey tanks in my '73 Globetrotter. The black tank was ordered from INCA Plastics, which was the original manufacturer of the tank and still has the molds. So I was able to get the exact tank I needed.

The grey tanks, I ordered from Vintage Trailer Supply. At the time I did mine, they only had grey tanks designed to fit in the frame rails of the 60's vintage trailers, so that is what I used. Today, I believe you can get slightly larger ones optimized for the slightly deeper frames of the 70's trailers--this is what I would recommend. I opted to put my tanks in the first two "bays" in the frame behind the axles, which I would still recommend. This leaves the aft-most bay open for the dump valves and drain pipes. My tank supports are modeled after the support for the fresh water tank, ie., I welded an angle-iron frame onto the underside of the trailer that allows a 1" thick plywood panel to slide in under the tank. I hear about lots of people supporting tanks with just ~3 straps going from one cross-member to another, but that seemed like a rather flimsy way to go.

Good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 09:08 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Oak Harbor , Ohio
Thanks!

Thanks so much for the helpful information. Looked up both suppliers for the tanks and they will certainly work. Great advice about the plywood. Seems really important to protect and support that tank. We will be starting the welding repair on the rear frame this week and will add the supports for the tank. Thanks again!
Old 12-18-2017, 05:35 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Oak Harbor , Ohio
The gray water tank installed. The frame was repaired (welded) and a support was added for the tank. Both gray and new black tank purchases from Inca Plastics.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0265.JPG
Views:	172
Size:	310.0 KB
ID:	301068
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0259.JPG
Views:	164
Size:	294.0 KB
ID:	301066   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0262.JPG
Views:	143
Size:	279.6 KB
ID:	301067  

Old 12-18-2017, 07:59 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
2000 33' Land Yacht
Ball Ground , Georgia
It takes patience

I'm rebuilding with my son a 1969 31 foot. Drug it out of the woods so I didn't know what we would find. The 69's don't have grey tanks so we decided to add one. One thing lead to another so we decided to add Three. Yesterday we got the last in with the floor in so lots of laying on your back. Today I installed the black tank. Now we have to connect them together with plumbing. Soon we will drop one back out to add a monitoring system. Also added two inch foam insulation. We used two inch angle iron from rail to rail. They were very tight fits.We didn't pull the floor but did remove the bunks and all other woodworking so we started new with plumbing. Tomorrow I will start fitting the black and grey gate valves and fittings. Some day soon I will try to post pictures but It's hard for me with an IPad. Our tanks came from Vintage. Make sure you figure out how to vent them so you avoid an air pocket. Other probably have more experience with this, It's just I don't have since to back down when I know I should.

Gene and Elaine Thomason
Ball Ground Ga.
1976 31 foot Sovereign
2011 GMC 2500HD Denali
6.6 Duramax Diesel
AL’ UM- MONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 07:07 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
I just took delivery of two new holding tanks from Inca Plastics. They have a large catalog of all the tanks they can mold. I just browse until I find the length, height, width, and drain configuration that will work for my plan.

I like tanks with molded shoulders so I can hang the tanks from angle irons bolted to the frame rails. However, this latest tank does not have shoulders so I'm going to have to use the "rest the tank on a sheet of something" method.

Looks like your install is gong good. In my humble opinion, installing new holding tanks is a big project. There is a lot to consider.

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1404 Waste Tanks See Level Senders (Mobile).JPG
Views:	108
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	301166  
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote