Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Safari > 1969 - 1973 Safari
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-18-2004, 05:54 PM   #1

'69 Safari - how many of us are out there?

I'm really new - picked up my trailer this morning.
It's a 1969 Safari 23' - and I have my first set of questions.
First - how many 69s are out there, and based on that do you think I should I remodel or restore (all original except cushions and curtains, all functional except A/C and missing awning fabric)?
Second - since I have limited storage I have to do all work with the skin on - what order should I start working on things?
Thanks - Chris
csgboyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2004, 09:01 AM   #2
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Welcome to the Forums, Chris.

I can't help you with the number of '69 Safari's, hopefully someone else will chime in. I can comment on the restoration of your unit. If its all original and just the AC is not functioning, I would recommend getting it repaired or replaced. As for the cushions and curtains, most folks change them out anyway to their own preferences. It doesn't hinder the originality or value as long as its tastefully done. An awning shop can easily replace the missing awning fabric or it can be ordered from the original manufacturer. Do you have an A & E or Zip Dee? I believe both of these are still in business, at least Zip Dee is.

I'm not sure what you meant by your second question regarding limited storage and all the work with the skin on? If the external skin is in good shape then you shouldn't need to remove any of the skin panels. As for the order of working on things, first - make sure to get the trailer watertight. From there, I think its a matter of what condition its in, what kind of traveling do you plan on doing and how soon so you want to start.

This is THE place to get your questions answered. Ask away. We were all newbie's at one time.

FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2004, 11:36 AM   #3

Thanks for the quick response

Thanks for the quick reply FF.

The skin is totally watertight - a few windows have been replaced with Lexan, but it looks like it was years ago and there doesn't appear to be extraneous caulking or goo around the window frame. The vents are all on pretty solid.

On my second question - I want to do a top to bottom (or bottom to top) restore, and was wondering where to start so I don't end up doing anything more than two or three times over! Do most folks start with taking out appliances and redoing the floor, etc?

My intent is fair weather (3 season) California trailer camping. I travel throughout the state teaching search and rescue to volunteers. There is no money in it, so I am hoping to use my AS to limit the cost of my classes to the volunteers I teach to. It is going to be my short term (5 to 10 days at a time) portable home and office (just a laptop and small printer). I don't expect to dry camp too often, and am going to get a nice quiet Honda generator in case electrical is unavailable. I was thinking that if a restoral is not the way I went then I would add solar as well.

I am not immune to the idea of keeping things totall origian l to keep the purity of the AS and retain the value - that's why I was wondering if there are a lot of 69s out there - if there aren't then I feel more compelled to be an AS puritan.

CB
csgboyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2004, 01:59 PM   #4
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Folks that tear out the appliances do this because the appliances either don't work or have an affinity to propane-powered devices. If htey are working and look good, why tear them out. You didn't mention whether your floor had any soft spots, usually by the entry door or in the bathroom. If its solid, leave it be and put your energies elsewhere. Having a good floor is a HUGE bonus.

How's the drivetrain? Axles worn out? See other threads on Duratorque axles to find out how to tell if yours is a canidate for replacement. New rims with load range D trailer tires? Umbilical cord compatible with your tow vehicle?

After ensuring the trailer was watertight, one of the first areas I concentrated on was to get it towable. The way I figured, I was going to need to tow it different places around town for servicing and I didn't want to have to worry about breaking down and sitting in the middle of the road.

Can you post some pictures of your new trailer?

FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2004, 07:02 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Don't have a clue! i do own one(69 Safari 23') And i love it.i started with replacing window and door gaskets.Replaced roof vents,painted bathroom tub and sinks,installed Magnetec to take the place of the univolt.My floor is in good shape, just bought Gords polish, so my next job is you know what.
Good luck Chris, the fun has just started...Will.
Will Ackerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 06:45 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1969 23' Safari
New Orleans , Louisiana
...reviving this ole thread puppy...wondering if there's any more '69 Safari-ites out there...I'd like to post photos asking whether some of this stuff is OEM original or added a p.o....
fotochop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 06:51 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Send a message via MSN to goransons
Rick - Here's one for sale locally, very rough condition, took a tree at some point, some broken, some missing windows...

Classic 1969 Airstream 23' "SAFARI" Land Yacht
goransons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 09:26 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
1961 16' Bambi
1956 16' Bubble
Potrero , California
Just got a 70 Safari

Picked my 1970 Safari up recently. Twin front beds/ dinette with half bed pullout and half shower/toilet at the rear.
I'm repairing the rear frame and floor.( Thanks to Doc and the great info on this site) We'll re-floor, repair some cabinets and re-upholster. Yes, I'll visit Andy and get a new axle as well. Lights, systems all work. all glass is there. Love the layout, this will become my "Camper" for trips with the grandbabies and my man-cubs.
PS...Looking for a rear bumper...
Stream Safe,
The " TinDen "
2007 25' International FB
1961 Bambi, 16' California
1956 Bubble 16' California Whale Tail
Charter Member 4 Corners Unit
(View all of elfirebob's images)
elfirebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 09:28 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1969 21' Globetrotter
Springfield , Oregon
Our little gem

We bought our '69 21ft. globetrotter about a year ago. It had been sitting unused for 20 years. All systems worked, but needed a little attention. We found an rv tech who checked everything out for us, sealed and repaired everything. The biggest thing we had to do was a new axle. My husband refinished all the interior wood, we replaced the floor, and I made new cushions and curtains.

This is our third airstream and we love this little thing. It is comfortable and so easy to take - just about anywhere we want to go. Here are a few pix.

Good luck on your project.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Coast trip 12-09 003.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	452.3 KB
ID:	97997   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lucky II 002.jpg
Views:	337
Size:	578.0 KB
ID:	97998  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Lucky II 007.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	595.8 KB
ID:	97999   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lucky II 001.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	545.0 KB
ID:	98000  

69trotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 05:39 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1969 23' Safari
Athens , Georgia
hi rick, I have had my '69 safari for about a year. It spent 8 (!) months at the tech's place to get major systems working. I will be doing the interior and am beyond excited, and scared! I'll share photos as I go along. Most everything is original. I am going to start with the rear bath and work my way forward. I have been reinventing the wheel on a lot of stuff. I am NOT handy, but willing to work for what I want. Just now, waiting for the 100 degree temps to break here in Ga before I get started...
sarasafari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 10:23 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1969 23' Safari
Miami , Florida
Hello from Sunny Florida! I have a '69 Safari and am getting ready to begin restoration. If anyone out there lives near Miami, or knows of someone who does, and can perhaps help me out with evaluating the Safari, and giving me estimates, or perhaps, someone who does restoration of Airstreams, I would love to connect with them. Thanking you in advance for your help.
Daisy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 01:21 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1969 23' Safari
San Antonio , Texas
Texas gal here with a major project underway with my 69 Safari. Right now it's down to the frame and shell. Learning how to take off the shell (or should I just jack it up and each side at a time to repair the frame?) Trying to figure all this out now. Oye vey!
AmrcnDrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 11:12 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1969 23' Safari
New Orleans , Louisiana
Several threads on shell-off repairs here though I hope the search function has improved since I last used it. It's kind of a big-deal repair (and that's putting it lightly). If the frame is solid you should consider not de-shelling it unless you have a pretty well equipped shop in which to work, but that's my never-have-removed-a-shell opinion, worth approximately two cents :-)
fotochop is offline   Reply With Quote