Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Safari > 1969 - 1973 Safari
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-18-2017, 03:34 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Portland , Oregon
1970 Safari 23D - Three Drain Valves or Two? & Other winterizing clarification.

I just bought a 1970 23 foot Safari Double and running into a few questions as I follow the instruction manual for winterizing. I tried searching the forums for answers but didn't come up with anything specific to my year and model, so I figured I might as well just start a new post and perhaps this will clear up any concerns for others in the future.

I am following the steps for Trailer Storage in the manual (page 62 onwards):
1970 Owners Manual

Question 1:
Are there always 3 drain valves under the galley sink? I can only see one up high and one down low. Perhaps the # varies by model? Or if I missed one where is it located?

The manual states the following:
Open all drain valves: there are five
2 in the one stop service center
3 under the galley sink (water tank drain valve is under the floor)

Question 2:
Manual states "loosen hexnuts on water pressure regulator" there are several junctures on the regulator which ones do I need to loosen? This step isn't even mentioned in the other winterizing threads is this one that can be safely ignored if lines are properly drained and blown out?

Question 3:
Where is the water purifier located? I don't see mine under the galley sink.
Can somebody please confirm where exactly it should be located or if it was not included for the 1970 Safari 23D.

Question 4:
Similar to above, was the toilet hand spray optional? I can't find one in my trailer but the manual is instructing me to drain it.

Sorry if any of this seems obvious but I just bought this puppy and I would really hate for it to get damaged this winter if I do something wrong. And yes I did already spend time searching and reading other Threads for answers to my questions!

Thanks in advance!
Mike in Portland
Portland1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 05:39 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 23' Safari
Middletown , Rhode Island
Theres a drain valve in the back bathroom closet, at least there's one in mine which is a 1972 safari.
Mx468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 04:04 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Portland , Oregon
Thanks for chiming in Mx468. I found a valve in my closet near the toilet too but it doesn't seem to be a drain valve. It was already opened and seems to be for controlling water to the toilet.

As far as I can tell I only have two drain valves under the galley sink plus two in the back service area and one on the side water heater.

Regarding my question 2 above....

See attached photo of water pressure regulator.

I've labeled all the different spots where I could possibly loosen bolts.

Anyone have a clue which ones need to be loosened?

Or is this a step I can skip if I blow my water lines out with a compressor?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20171207_145459.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	186.7 KB
ID:	300542  
Old 12-09-2017, 01:03 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1970 23' Safari
Marion , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Portland1970 View Post
Thanks for chiming in Mx468. I found a valve in my closet near the toilet too but it doesn't seem to be a drain valve. It was already opened and seems to be for controlling water to the toilet.

As far as I can tell I only have two drain valves under the galley sink plus two in the back service area and one on the side water heater.

Regarding my question 2 above....

See attached photo of water pressure regulator.

I've labeled all the different spots where I could possibly loosen bolts.

Anyone have a clue which ones need to be loosened?

Or is this a step I can skip if I blow my water lines out with a compressor?
On my 1970 Safari there are 3 drain valves under the galley sink. The two red valves open the cold and hot water pipes to the drain line. Then there is a brass valve to open the drain line. In the back service area there are also two red valves to drain hot and cold lines. Don't forget to drain the fresh water tank which has a drain valve under the trailer.

I don't have a pressure regulator on my trailer so I can't help you there. Also the toilet hand sprayer and water purifier were both options I believe.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Under Galley.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	317.6 KB
ID:	300640  
DremStremer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 09:52 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Portland , Oregon
Thanks Drem. Interesting things are a little different with my 1970 23D Safari. I went out and took a picture of the only two drain valves I could locate. One up high and one below the floorboard. I didn't see any drain valves underneath my trailer on the exterior. Is your exterior drain valve also a red knob like the others? Where is it located?

Thanks to anyone who can help clarify! Starting to get a bit nervous as it is now finally getting cold enough to do some real damage if something wasn't done right.

Fingers crossed.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20171220_162315.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	406.4 KB
ID:	301247  
Old 12-22-2017, 05:59 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1970 23' Safari
Marion , New York
It looks like your plumbing has been modified by previous owners. I suspect the red valve below the floor level is your water tank drain. Is it connected to a fitting near the bottom of the water tank? Can you see some tubing or pipe under the trailer in the location of that red valve?

My drain valve under the trailer was on the roadside, near the edge of the dropped angle that holds the tank. It was a small brass valve on the end of a pipe. You can see it in the picture dropping below the main gas line. (picture is sideways, sorry)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Gasline1.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	326.4 KB
ID:	301276  
DremStremer is offline   Reply With Quote