Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-01-2007, 03:23 PM   #41
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
Oxford , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alumatube
Oh, geez, without a doubt the stretch of I-40 from Memphis to Little Rock. It will beat the HECK out of you, no matter what you are driving. It is a major truck route and Arkansas hasn't bothered to do anything with it.

There was an article on it in the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette recently where the state acknowledged the issues with it and said it was on the list to get to soon, and they hadn't got to it before due to other priorities. We'll see.

As a secondary, the stretch of I-530 (in Arkansas between Little Rock and Pine Bluff) from Exit 24 about 8 miles north is horrible. Patched to within an inch of its life and really messed up, and they keep redoing little bits of it but it needs ripping out and total replacement.

Susan
You are absolutely correct, stopped 2 times to check and be sure we didn't have a flat.
Air# 9552
rebel beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 11:34 AM   #42
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
San Diego , California
CA state highway 18 from Big Bear Lake north to Lucerne Valley is a killer! We did not expect the 11 - 16% grade or the turns so tight you could read your Airstream's license plate! The AAA CA map shows a short little straight line, but whoo, boy - it's a snaky killer!

We recreated a scene from Lucy-Desi's "Long, Long Trailer" on this road. We started the climb showing a little less than 1/4 tank of gas. After eleventy-nine switchbacks, and moving at times under 10 mph, our "check engine" light came on. Our intrepid tv Silvester needed a break, and we pulled into a switchback turnout with barely enough room to clear traffic. However, traffic wasn't a problem 'cause nobody else was stupid enough to take this route.

We calmed our nerves, let Silvester cool down, and chose to press on rather than attempt to turn around - which would have been a five point jacknife turn broadside to traffic.

At the next switchback Silvester started to cough and stutter, and would not go on. It was the steepest part of the steepest turn yet. I had no choice but to back down! My wife ran down the hill around the turn behind us to stop traffic, and I started to ease back around the turn - and then the engine quit completely. No power brakes, no power steering - just 14,000 lbs. aimed at the side of the mountain (luckily not aimed over the cliff!)

I stood on the brakes, jabbed the parking brake, and as we thankfully groaned to a stop, I shifted to "Park." Nose of the van 3' into the downhill lane, rear bumper of our treasured AS "Slivia" 2' from the wall. 8 cars had gathered by now behind us. After sitting quietly and shaking for a minute, I said a little prayer, complimented Silvester on all the good work he had done on our two week California adventure, asked him to start up, and he did! I was able to ease van and trailer into a pullout a little ways back down the road, and the waiting queue of cars whooshed past.

Now what? We reviewed the events, and wondered if maybe low gas was the problem - especially when the van was canted up at a severe angle, and gas gathered in the back of the tank. I poured the two gallon reserve I carry into the van, said another prayer, and started up - and we pulled ahead and out of that nightmare!

1. Research roads - if you can
2. Refill when below 1/4 tank
3. Never take CA 18 from Lucerne Valley to Big Bear
4. Say nice things whenever possible to your tv
Old 08-24-2010, 11:39 AM   #43
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
The road to Chaco Canyon. That's all that needs to be said.

Lynn
Old 08-24-2010, 12:38 PM   #44
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Coming downhill from Cloudcroft, NM westbound is the most "fun" we've ever had; unless you like the smell of brakes burning.
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 12:56 PM   #45
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Waiting to Escape.... , Somewhere between sanity and insanity ... on the brink of both.
I-20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alumatube View Post
30 east of Dallas is not too bad, but I have not driven 20 east of Dallas in a while. It wasn't the best the last time I did, perhaps 5 years ago?

Susan
We lived in Ft worth till 4 years ago and would trek to Shreveport area to visit relatives quite a bit until the babies came. I-20 is/was in a constant state of repair. I-30 was much better... at the time.

TAC OK-42

Come See Minnie Mouse at the TAC Walt Disney World Fort Wilderness Rally
https://airstreamingdreaming.blogspot.com

"Get busy livin', or get busy dyin'." - The Shawshank Redemption
]
rebelstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 01:11 PM   #46
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
There are so many bad roads—

On the northern part of the Cassiar Hwy in BC in late May, the last 5-7 miles before the Yukon border were the worst washboard we've ever experienced. There was a construction project that was not finished and appeared abandoned.

The Alaska Hwy just south of Toad River in mid-July where it was being seal coated, it rained before it dried, the dirt became mud and the seal coat left tar and sticky stuff all over the trailer and truck. This was also in BC. Most of the Alaska Hwy is pretty good, but frost heaves in permafrost country make it a challenge.

Last fall, the W. Va. Turnpike was very bumpy and we'll never take that road again. You have to pay to be miserable!

Last time we were in Nova Scotia and Newfoundland was 2004, but the roads were bumpy, wavy, and more bumpy, especially in NS.

I-80 in Cal. west of the Nevada border was terrible a few years ago—the concrete was so worn that it was gravel with cement between—but it was being rebuilt when we traveled through.

Taylor Hwy between the Boundary Rd and Eagle, Alaska, is in places very narrow and has scores and scores of tedious blind curves—not for trailers, though it could be done, very slowly.

A few years ago, I-70 eastbound from Vail Pass east had large chunks of road missing, several inches deep along grooves made by large trucks. It has been repaved since.

The county roads where we live are badly built and deteriorate quickly because the road crews are badly trained and the county commissioners hate to spend money, so they build cheap roads and in the long run spend more money.

NYC—lots of pot holes. It was the same in 2008 when we visited as I remembered from 40 and more years ago.

We've been on a lot of narrow, winding, steep roads—a lot of people don't like them. To us it's the way to get to beautiful and remote places. Try Colo. 92 from Crawford to Blue Mesa Dam (at US 50)—a beautiful drive along the Black Canyon, but a challenge without a lot of guard rail, sharp drops, blind curves, but good pavement. We've taken it scores of times in all seasons, several times towing. The passenger will appreciate the scenery more than the driver.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 01:18 PM   #47
Rivet Master

1956 26' Cruiser/Overlander
Kennewick , Washington
Send a message via Yahoo to shermybaby
The worst for us was coming out of North Idaho from Cemetary Ridge after a heavy rain...road?...what road? It was nearly washed out and very narrow!!!
shermybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 01:18 PM   #48
jm2
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
1977 20' Argosy 20
northern valley , new jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobfowler View Post

I-287 in NY, between I-684 and the Tappan Zee Bridge is tied with the Cross Bronx Expressway for worst in my book. YUCK!
I-287. the Cross Westchester Expressway section has happily enjoyed much improvement in recent years, with lanes, exits, and surfaces, so I'd take it off the "worst" list.....

on the other hand, I-95 North, the Cross Bronx Expressway between the George Washington Bridge and the Throgs Neck Bridge is as ugly, bumpy, bumper-to-bumper as ever! thank God it's at least mostly flat!

best,

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci.

WBCCI 2087 - AIR 3144 - TAC-NJ2

https://defendwally.org/
jm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 01:44 PM   #49
2 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
N/A , Michigan/Florida
A stretch of road in Utah where a leaky manure spreader had just gone through and had paved the right lane with fresh, aromatic cow poop. The whole front of the trailer got plastered and dried up before I could get to it. I don't like mud flaps, so I paid dearly. Ahhhh...the open range...
2010 4x4 Ford EB Expedition
greatlakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 03:45 PM   #50
3 Rivet Member

2022 30' Flying Cloud
Phoenix , Arizona
We just came back from Maine. On our way there we went thru Massachusetts by way of I-495. The road was fine but the bridges were all horribly patched. You come off the the road at 60-65 MPH on to the various bridges and it was a great test of welds and rivets.
nswhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 04:06 PM   #51
jm2
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
1977 20' Argosy 20
northern valley , new jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by nswhite View Post
We just came back from Maine. On our way there we went thru Massachusetts by way of I-495. The road was fine but the bridges were all horribly patched. You come off the the road at 60-65 MPH on to the various bridges and it was a great test of welds and rivets.

ooh!

thanks for the heads up on this, as we'll be enroute from NJ to MA to ME next week.

can I presume that you're talking about the I-495 loop north and above the Mass Pike? or were you coming up from I-95?

thanks!

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci.

WBCCI 2087 - AIR 3144 - TAC-NJ2

https://defendwally.org/
jm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 05:33 PM   #52
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Valle Vidal, NM

Don't get me wrong, the road is worth it. Absolutely gorgeous and unique area with lakes, elk and expansive meadows, majestic mountains in the middle of nowhere. There is one dirt road from the east 25mi and one from the west 25mi.

A local guy in Cimarron, NM told me where the turn off was. Then told me one road was good and one was bad but he could not remember which was which, the east or west road. 25 miles of the worst washboard I ever drove. Just when I thought it could not get worse it did. I could have walked faster. After getting to a gorgeous campground I proceeded on glad the bad road was behind me. It wasn't. That was the good road.
Old 08-24-2010, 05:53 PM   #53
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Friends of ours were up at Valle Vidal with their Casita earlier this week. The road to take in is the one out of Cimarron, not the one out of Costilla (north of Taos).

Lynn
Old 08-24-2010, 07:32 PM   #54
2 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB International
Miami , Florida
Just drove today I49 in LA. The part from Baton Rouge to Opelousas was so bumpy. I thought my front axle had a problem. It is one of those old highways with concrete slabs. It felt like being on a boat speeding in a light shop.
gamana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 04:22 AM   #55
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Willoughby , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by eubank View Post
Friends of ours were up at Valle Vidal with their Casita earlier this week. The road to take in is the one out of Cimarron, not the one out of Costilla (north of Taos).

Lynn
I did some backpackig in the Valle a few years back - absolutely gorgeous country!
2005 28' CCD, 2011 Sierra 5.3L, Equal-I-Zer
Empty Nesters - spending our money on OURSELVES for a change!
Steve & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 07:35 AM   #56
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I've seen a lot of confirmation on this thread of what I've noticed—concrete roads can be really bad when I'm towing the trailer. It doesn't have to be an old road—I-70 east of Denver has long sections of newer concrete out towards Limon that are like a subdued roller coaster. Any road can feel worse with a trailer and some resonate really badly with the rig and concrete seems to be particularly bad.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 11:37 AM   #57
3 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
Sumner , Washington
Just got back from a 3200 mile shakedown cruise in our 1970 27" A/S.
Seattle to Bakersfield to LA to San Diego and back.
Worst piece of road was between Eureka,Ca to I-5 at Redding on 299.
We did it at night, which was smart, low traffic.
Twisty road, some corners were posted at 20 mph (lowest I have ever seen), the last fifty miles,on the Redding side, was the worst, could have used Dramamine it was so twisty......
howco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 11:53 AM   #58
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Highway 99 from Bakersfield to Sacramento goes down as one of our least favorites.
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 12:11 PM   #59
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Not quite what most of you are describing, but the road I hate the most is I-95 between Richmond, Virginia and New York city. The problem isn't the condition of the road surface (although there are parts that need work), it's the drivers. People weaving in and out, tailgating, doing 90 mph, etc. Maryland and Delaware's rest areas between Baltimore and Philadelphia are left exits/on-ramps, which I hate, especially in a large, slower vehicle. All that and heavy traffic too... yeah, you'd have to be crazy to enjoy driving that stretch of road.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 12:20 PM   #60
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by howco View Post
Just got back from a 3200 mile shakedown cruise in our 1970 27" A/S.
Seattle to Bakersfield to LA to San Diego and back.
Worst piece of road was between Eureka,Ca to I-5 at Redding on 299.
We did it at night, which was smart, low traffic........................................... ...
I'm thinking that driving that road at night may not be the best idea. In 1994, a suicidal deer ran into the drivers side door of our TV and then bounced off the left front of our TT on that very road about 10 PM. It caused body damage to the Nissan Pathfinder, but only left deer fur on the fiberglass trailer. Deer succeeded in its goal.

Regards,

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote