Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-07-2016, 08:43 PM   #41
2 Rivet Member

Far West , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by banderabob View Post
Bandera, Texas, "Cowboy Capital of the World". We liked it so much we moved from Dallas 7 years ago, 856 population if you are a "townie". Otherwise, Port Aransas, TX....on the Texas gulf coast, and an annual trek.
I spent a lot of time visiting my great aunts in Bandera when I was younger. They lived on a beautiful piece of property that a stream cut through to form a waterin ( No. It's spelled correctly. ) hole for the cattle. Beautiful countryside that reminds me of an old John Wayne movie.

While in high school my 4-H group spent a week at the Dixie Dude Ranch.

I'm going to have to tell hubby that our "short list" just got longer...
Old 12-07-2016, 10:41 PM   #42
4 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
formerly of Tustin, Huntington Beach, Dana Point, and Laguna Beach , California
Ivins/St. George, UT: mild winters; great medical; everything you need from a big city but Snow Canyon & Zion nearby.

Escalante, UT: no stoplight; pop. 800; good, friendly people; touristy but not touristy; good cafes; Grand Staircase National Monument outside; visit it before it turns into Moab.

Creede, CO: mining history, good Main Street with cafes & shops; Bachelor Pass with many fantastic boondocking spots on a mountain flank; free dump & drinking water in town; good grocery store; The Silver Thread.

Ketchum, ID: walked among the beautiful people because we boondocked nearby for a month in the Sawtooths; the nicest Post Office & YMCA I've ever seen; the best small town grocery store (unfortunately the only); a beautiful library; Papa Hemingway's resting place; and yes, the Sawtooths and trout.

Stanley, ID: gravel side streets, the Salmon River, and an incredible view. Bad - no real grocer.

West Glacier, MT: huckleberry; Post Office; laundromat; walking distance to Glacier NP and Lake McDonald.

Whitefish, MT: a revitalized and redeveloped Kalispell; tons of eateries & shops (too expensive for us in the long run but fun to visit); Kalispell is quieter and slower but also great.

Sandpoint, ID: great main streets, vibrant eateries and shops; the great outdoors all around.

Oakridge, OR: Lee's Gourmet Garden Chinese Cuisine (Jackie Chan's former personal chef) run by Jeff & wife Grace; tel: 541-782-2155; 47670 Hwy 58; I know it's a long way for takeout Chinese so you should just dine in.

Lee Vining, CA: just outside Hwy 120 to Yosemite; Mono Lake, Mono Market (say hi to Hugo, Oscar, Tessa, Andy, and Ed); Mobil gas station with dump & Whoa Nellie Deli; eastern Sierras.

June Lake, CA: Tiger Bar & Cafe, Ernie's Tackle Shop; Mono Pottery (Ken Willingham, owner).

Oh, and yes...I like to eat.
westcoastas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 05:43 AM   #43
Rivet Master

2008 19' Bambi
2012 23' Flying Cloud
2016 25' Flying Cloud
Bandera , Texas
This has been a good thread, and I'm saving it in my electronic "travel" file for future road reference!
banderabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 06:34 AM   #44
Rivet Master

2023 16' Basecamp
Currently Looking...
Chgo. N.W. Burb's , Illinois
Dubois,Wy.
knunut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 06:39 AM   #45

1957 22' Custom
Lago Vista , Texas
A few small towns worth visiting

Fredricksburg TX

Telluride CO

Marfa TX
DDickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 07:07 AM   #46
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
The Amana Colonies in IA. I wouldn't want to live there, but I'll go back to spend more than the one day I had available last summer. Interesting history and unbelievable craftsmanship--weaving, woodworking, quilt making--that has been passed down for generations. Good food, too. Fantastic old-fashioned customer service. Awesome RV park.
mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 08:08 AM   #47
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Gettysburg PA
Charlevoix MI
Arrow Rock MO
Crested Butte CO
Solvang CA

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 10:14 AM   #48
2 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
Punta Gorda, Florida , Florida
Best small towns

Punta Gorda FL no fast food places allowed (Macdonalds, etc. pretty laid back, great fishing. Have lived here over 40 years and don't plan on moving
Silver Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 10:20 AM   #49
2 Rivet Member

1995 30' Excella
1998 34' Cutter Bus (Chevy)
Goodyear , Arizona
Lot's of friendly towns

There are some terrific locations in the West to live for a week or forever in your, I assume A/S. Here are are few that come to mind:

Bisbee, AZ - Stay as long as you like. You can even rent lodging in an A/S .

Quartzite, AZ - A week/Max in Jan. at the Worlds largest RV gathering is a kick!

Pagosa Springs, CO - A beautiful town worthy of a life time.

Brekenridge, CO - Stay at Tiger Run, although touristy, fun place.

Durango, CO - A bit touristy but you can escape it with ease.

Mustang, OK - If you like the cowboy lifestyle, it's here.

Helena, MT - Nice quite capitol town with lots of destinations nearby.

I also, agree with your list. Dr. Dee
Louie Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 11:31 AM   #50
Klatawa (to travel)

1965 24' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
Bremerton , Washington
Here are a few in the Northwest-

Port Townsend, WA- camp in town at Point Hudson or just out of town at Fort Worden SP
Winthrop, WA- camp in town at Pines Near or out of town at Perrigen SP
Pacific, WA- SP right on the ocean
Klatawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 02:23 PM   #51
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Temple , Texas
Fort Davis, Texas

Port Aransas, TX.

Atlantic, Iowa
RamRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 08:15 AM   #52
Rivet Master

1999 30' Excella 1000
small town , Maryland
Thank you everyone, for all your inputs. St Augustine, Florida was mentioned three times. This town is also rated at one of the top ten places decorated for Christmas. Is there any towns around the country that has the Christmas spirit, worth driving 1-2 hours for? The towns that go all out for Christmas. Maybe I should have included favorite Christmas towns in the heading, for the holiday spirit. Giving gifts to charities, is good for one's soul. Have a nice Christmas everyone.
streaminwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 02:51 PM   #53
Rivet Master

Tavares , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by streaminwild View Post
Thank you everyone, for all your inputs. St Augustine, Florida was mentioned three times. This town is also rated at one of the top ten places decorated for Christmas. Is there any towns around the country that has the Christmas spirit, worth driving 1-2 hours for? The towns that go all out for Christmas. Maybe I should have included favorite Christmas towns in the heading, for the holiday spirit. Giving gifts to charities, is good for one's soul. Have a nice Christmas everyone.

St. Augustine is awesome at Xmas time; we did a long weekend last year and stayed in one of the older grander hotels downtown - it was a blast.

Be prepared for Arctic (for Florida ) temperatures and wind off the water in December. Meaning it might get below 60.
“Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that’s right is to get by, and the only thing that’s wrong is to get caught.” - J.C. Watts Jr.
Rich Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 03:03 PM   #54
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Greer , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingeezer View Post
Bisbee Az.

Visited several times and always happy to go back!

Not really sure about living there though.

I think that most "Touristy" places might seem as though they'd be fun places to live, but I suspect might not turn out to be so!

Brian.

Love that entire area. We were stationed at Ft Huachuca in 1980-81 ... been back several times. So much to see and do in that area.

Taking it a day at a time ... no hurry
Cispook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 05:48 AM   #55
Rivet Master

Tavares , Florida
This thread is turning into one of my most favorite discussions on Airforums.

We're about to step off on serious extended travel early next year and the suggestions are great. We really prefer the small town vibe vs. big city. Thanks to the OP for a great conversation.

Rich
“Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that’s right is to get by, and the only thing that’s wrong is to get caught.” - J.C. Watts Jr.
Rich Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 07:38 AM   #56
Rivet Master

1977 23' Safari
Niagara on the Lake , Ontario
My contribution:

Niagara on the Lake, Ontario. My home town and one of the prettiest towns in Canada. Lots of wineries, several microbreweries, and lots of history.

Port Dover, Ontario. My wife's home town. Cute little beach town on Lake Erie, best place for a perch dinner.

Watkins Glen, NY. I love the finger lakes and Watkins glen is a great place to stay, we're planning a week there next summer.
AldeanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 07:09 PM   #57
2 Rivet Member

2012 19' International
Shelby , North Carolina
Shelby, NC - Favorite Small Town!

Shelby, NC is one of the prettiest, friendliest, most entertaining small towns in the country! Home of the bluegrass legend Earl Scruggs and the Earl Scruggs Center as well as the Don GibsonTheatre with with amazing acts every week! A beautiful Uptown (explore through the Uptown Shelby website or Facebook page) that includes small locally owned shops, unbelievable restaurants, and home to Newgrass Brewing Company - voted best brewery in NC for 2016! Live music throughout the uptown at various venues within walking distance from Wednesday through Saturday! You have to visit if you are in North Carolina!!
roger4147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 11:25 PM   #58
LifeIsShort

2013 22' FB Sport
Winter Park , Colorado
Winter Park, CO. So much so that 17 years ago I made it my forever home.
Talkeetna, AK
Bozeman, MT
Fruita, CO
Tsmith.wp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 12:20 AM   #59
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Helen, ga used to do up pretty good for Christmas. One if our favorite small towns, we like touristy. Helen is a German themed town. And there's top of ga AS park a few miles north,a great place to stay.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 12:33 AM   #60
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
2007 20' Safari SE
2005 19' Safari
Qualicum Beach , British Columbia
Qualicum Beach BC
gandttimes is offline   Reply With Quote