Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-18-2020, 04:08 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2008 23' Safari SE
Pasco , Washington
Question Yosemite Area Campgrounds

Got shut out on recreation.gov for a campground in Yosemite May 15-20, so looking for recommendations on places to stay close to the park during that time frame. Already booked for Pinnacles and King's/Sequoia for the rest of the month. Thanks!
ckronvall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 05:11 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2008 532 International
New Braunfels , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckronvall View Post
Got shut out on recreation.gov for a campground in Yosemite May 15-20, so looking for recommendations on places to stay close to the park during that time frame. Already booked for Pinnacles and King's/Sequoia for the rest of the month. Thanks!

If you're okay with less than full hookups, June Lake is about 20 miles south of Lee Vining (entrance to Yosemite). It's National Forest campgrounds and is really very beautiful. Easy to get to the N.P. Johnny Carson owned a lot of that area while. Bishop is a little ways south and has everything you'd want provisioning wise, and maybe a nice dinner if you're feeling like not cooking.
Ext Cab Longbed
Harley occasionally in the bed.
StreamGlider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 08:04 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2018 28' Flying Cloud
Chapin , South Carolina
In summer 2018, we stayed 4 nights at Yosemite Pines RV Resort in Groveland, CA. It is one of the closest private campgrounds to the NW park entrance. CG had everything you need and typical of others in area. Gravel roads with gravel/clay sites, all under pines. All services worked, restrooms and showers clean. I would use it again if in that area. Most of our daylight hours were spent in the park.
StuartsDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 06:41 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 27' Classic FB
Ridgefield , Washington
We stayed at Lower Pines CG last May. As I recall, Tioga Pass was closed so you may want to check the road status is before you leave if your thinking about Lee Vining. They usually predict when they will open that road. We came in (and left) through Mariposa last May. There is a Chevron station just west of Mariposa which is a good place to fuel up (no gas in the valley) before entering the park and the Arch Rock entance is a great photo op for your Airstream. We noticed that there was quite a bit of availability at upper and lower pines cg monday thru friday and it was showing fully booked before we left. You may need to move a time or two but I think its worth it to camp in the valley.
We went through Wawona on our way to Kings Canyon and Sequoia. You may want to see if anything is available around there. No problem through the tunnel but the Class A folks will crowd you a bit so be ready for that.
Just an FYI. We had reservations at Lodgepole in Sequoia. Its a lot of uphill and switchbacks to enter Kings Canyon. I think we had 20 or 30 miles to go when we entered Kings Canyon. My wife was not going any further that day so we stayed at Azalea CG. We liked it so much we stayed there four nights and blew off lodgepole.
One last thing. I had THE BEST prime rib dinner at the Awahnee Hotel. Be sure to at least visit.
I dont know much about the campgrounds outside Yosemite but I have been visiting for as long as I can remember. PM me if you have any questions.
Pic is from Azalea.
Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4438 2.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	722.8 KB
ID:	359753  
Old 01-24-2020, 08:16 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Fair Oaks Ranch , Texas
We stayed at Henry’s Lake State Park in Idaho, just 20 minutes from Yellowstone. Nice park, clean facilities. Would stay there again. Mike
2016 Oliver Legacy Elite II #135
2020 Ram 2500 Laramie 6.7
MikeandCarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 09:24 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
modesto , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckronvall View Post
At that time of year there are 3 main routes into the park only from the west, the HWY 120 from the East side will be closed. From the West HWY 120 , HWY 140 and HWY 41.
Since you are in Washington you may want to come in HWY 120 and leave by HWY 41 to get to Sequoia/Kings.

I can only assume you want a "campground" to stay in.
On hwy 120 past the town of Groveland there is Yosemite Pines RV Resort. Then past Buck Meadows there is Lost Claim Campground. Then past Rainbow Pools (very cool, must see) and Cherry Lake RD the last campground before Yosemite is Sweetwater Campground, the others have burned.

Life is an adventure if you are ready and willing. Yosemite is surrounded by National Forrest, There are so many places to disperse camp/Boondock. Take the adventure by the horns, get a Stanislaus National Forrest map and find your own spot.
Try Hardin Flat Rd., Cherry Lake Rd., Evergreen Rd., Forrest Rte 1S03 Sawmill Mountain Rd., Etc.

Hope you have a great time.

-Dennis
batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 10:02 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2009 19' International
Aptos , California
Indian Flats RVPark and campground is the closest RV Park to Yosemite. It’s very cramped, often full, and adequate, There is a large camping section that fills every evening with organized tour groups of boisterous young people so be prepared for that. An interesting entertainment every afternoon is the arrival of tourists in rented class C motorhones who’s first experience with their rigs is the drive from the rental facility near San Francisco. Watching them navigate the mostly back in spaces is a hoot. Despite the negatives it’s close to the park and right across the road from the Merced River at a spot where the fly fishing can be excellent. Here’s a tip for enjoying the valley floor: park, then hike to view all of the attractions and do not visit any of the stores or accommodations where the crowds will kill your buzz
brad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 10:05 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2009 19' International
Aptos , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by batman View Post

Life is an adventure if you are ready and willing. Yosemite is surrounded by National Forrest, There are so many places to disperse camp/Boondock. Take the adventure by the horns, get a Stanislaus National Forrest map and find your own spot.
Try Hardin Flat Rd., Cherry Lake Rd., Evergreen Rd., Forrest Rte 1S03 Sawmill Mountain Rd., Etc.

-Dennis
Excellent advice!
brad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 12:59 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

Wallkill , New York
Hi:
You seem to be just the person to help us. We plan on going to Yosemite in May 2021. We will have a 33 Classic at that time. Is it worth trying to get a space in the Valley? Is it too scary to drive in the Valley? Should we stay outside of Yosemite, although I believe it is an hour and half drive to the Valley. I would love to know exactly where you stayed and for how long. Did you move to different camping spots for different areas of the park?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Daphne
dcohen461 is offline   Reply With Quote