Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-08-2017, 12:23 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Yellowstone to Willamette Valley

Heading out on our longest AS Adventure yet in late July to the OR and
CA Wine Country. Leaving Hot Springs, AR heading North then West through SD on to Yellowstone. Have 3-5 days to get on to Eugene, OR from Western WY and looking for best route and things to see along the way, including favorite parks.

Also, same request from Santa Maria, CA back to CO. Looking for easiest and most scenic route recommendations. Thanks!
Johndews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 01:37 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Sheridan , Wyoming
I'm traveling a similar route and avoiding the Interstate so I would suggest taking Hwy 33/26/20 out of Jackson, WY to Idaho Falls and over to Mountain Home, ID. Then you may have a short time on I-84 to get back on Hwy 20 and on east to Bend, OR and west.
BigHornStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 02:58 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Vashon , Washington
Yellowstone to Or

Hi there... we did a loop, in September last year, that included Yellowstone, through Idaho, to Oregon. We had a great time and saw some beautiful country. Here is a link to our Melchert Road travel blog . Look for postings from September 2016 which detail places from North Yellowstone (Gardiner MT) to Ennis to Picabo ID and on. We saw a dude ranch from the 1800s outside Gardiner, the little town of Ennis with a great RV park and fishing, and the Craters of the Moon NM. Also took side trips to Hailey ID and Sun Valley/Ketchum ID (terrific eats and shopping) and not-to-miss, the little planned town of Hidden Springs ID. A true "Mayberry" with no mail delivery, only a post office, a general store that lets community members charge things and front porches on every house! Also, you must acquaint yourself with the whole aspect of the great migration, or, The Oregon Trail. Lots to see there.

When in the Oregon Wine Country, stay at the Champoueg SP near Salem but off the path and out near winerys and produce stands. Here is the post on it.

Have fun, its a great trip.
dprvashon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 03:16 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
St. Louis , Missouri
Scenic route suggestion:

From Yellowstone head NW to Spokane WA. You'll see some beautiful Rocky Mountain country in MT and ID. From Spokane, take Rt 2 across some of the prettiest views that WA has to offer. Stop at Dry Falls State Park; one of the most spectacular geologic formations that no one ever heard of. Go visit the Grand Coulee Dam. Take some time in Leavenworth, the little Swiss town in the Washington Alps. Enjoy quintessential Cascade country in Wenatchee National Forest. As you exit the forest, you'll want your GPS to give you the swiftest route around Seattle traffic. I-5 from Tacoma to Portland is a pleasant drive.

This is NOT a direct line from Yellowstone to Eugene! It will add 4 hours to your drive time. But it is unforgettable country, and you'll be glad you did. 3-5 days is plenty time to take this route.
Old 05-08-2017, 03:21 PM   #5
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
From Yellowstone, you're awfully close to the Grand Tetons NP, which is well worth a visit.

If you enjoy winery tours, east-central Washington state is a vine-growing region, as well. We've not toured them, but have thought about it.
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 12:48 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
Drive south to Island Park, Idaho, from West Yellowstone,then drive west on the road just south of Henry's Lake to Red Rock Lakes Wildlife Refuge in Montana, then when you hit the interstate, go south to the next exit going west. Follow that to Craters of the Moon National Monument, on to Sun Valley, then proceed to Boise and interstate west to Portland or Seattle.
2002 Airstream Classic 30' w/SO #2074
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
pappy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 01:43 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Vintage Kin Owner
Sonoma Co. , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHornStream View Post
I'm traveling a similar route and avoiding the Interstate so I would suggest taking Hwy 33/26/20 out of Jackson, WY to Idaho Falls and over to Mountain Home, ID. Then you may have a short time on I-84 to get back on Hwy 20 and on east to Bend, OR and west.
Agree 100%! Go south out of Yellowstone on 287, follow short local road thru Grand Tetons, then to Jackson. Just south of Jackson, take historic 22 (the old wagon road) to Victor and south on 31 to Swan Vly (or north on 33 to Teton). In either case head next to Idaho Falls and pick up 20 west past Craters of the Moon...vast sea of volcanic lava flows (take loop road to see up close). At Mtn Home, Hy.20 becomes I-84 and goes nw thru Boise. At Ontario exit, Hy 20 again heads west into Oregon. At Bend, stop for a rest before heading over Cascade range (Three Sisters dormant volcanic peaks...more lava beds, lotsa obsidian). At town of Sisters, turn onto Summer-only 242 and follow McKenzie River into Springfield & Eugene.
USAtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 02:41 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Eugene , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by USAtraveler View Post
Agree 100%! Go south out of Yellowstone on 287, follow short local road thru Grand Tetons, then to Jackson. Just south of Jackson, take historic 22 (the old wagon road) to Victor and south on 31 to Swan Vly (or north on 33 to Teton). In either case head next to Idaho Falls and pick up 20 west past Craters of the Moon...vast sea of volcanic lava flows (take loop road to see up close). At Mtn Home, Hy.20 becomes I-84 and goes nw thru Boise. At Ontario exit, Hy 20 again heads west into Oregon. At Bend, stop for a rest before heading over Cascade range (Three Sisters dormant volcanic peaks...more lava beds, lotsa obsidian). At town of Sisters, turn onto Summer-only 242 and follow McKenzie River into Springfield & Eugene.
This sounds like a great plan with one exception...do NOT drive on Route 242 unless your combined rig is less than 35' in length though personally I wouldn't want to drive it with anything longer than a combined 30'. I couldn't tell what length trailer you are pulling.

Details from online: The McKenzie Highway between Highway 126 west of the Cascades and the city of Sisters has several hairpin curves up to 160 degrees and about 20 miles of 8-foot lanes that are too tight even for some legal recreational vehicles.
The highway, which is blocked by deep snow all winter and most of spring each year, is restricted to lengths of 35 feet or less.
Meeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 08:53 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meeks View Post
This sounds like a great plan with one exception...do NOT drive on Route 242 unless your combined rig is less than 35' in length though personally I wouldn't want to drive it with anything longer than a combined 30'. I couldn't tell what length trailer you are pulling.

Details from online: The McKenzie Highway between Highway 126 west of the Cascades and the city of Sisters has several hairpin curves up to 160 degrees and about 20 miles of 8-foot lanes that are too tight even for some legal recreational vehicles.
The highway, which is blocked by deep snow all winter and most of spring each year, is restricted to lengths of 35 feet or less.

X2 Meeks comment

@ Sisters, continue on Hwy 20 over Santium Pass to Hwy 126 if your headed to Eugene (Tracktown)

Here is a link re camping in Napa/Sonoma

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...pa-155556.html

Bob
CruizinDux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 08:56 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
Christine , North Dakota
This is all very timely for me too.

We will be passing from Fargo ND over to McMinnville OR through Odell OR (Hood River) the last week of June. My wife wants to pass through Yellowstone, but I think it is not a good idea that time of year without more time.

All previous trips have been made with speed in mind, and sticking to main interstates/highways. This will (hopefully) be our first long trip with an AirStream. Our outfit will be a 1971 Sovereign 31ft behind 2005 F250 CrewCab/Shortbed. I haven't measure it yet, I'd suspect my outfit is closer to 53-54ft bumper to bumper.

And I have the additional need to find some family friendly stops along the way. Kids are 7 and 8.
phlegm is offline   Reply With Quote