Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-08-2006, 05:32 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Cool Yellowstone National Park

I'm heading up to Yellowstone National Park in early summer of 2007. Any ideas of a good RV park ? I'll need full hook-ups as my 1972 31' Landyadt doesn't have a grey water holding tank.

Thanks,

David Laxson
New Braunfels, TX
davidlaxson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 05:40 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2013 31' Classic
Crossville , Tennessee
David, there are park campgrounds there. We stayed in one no more than 4 months ago. It was nice, but not blue ribbon entertainment. Since we get our kicks walking on trails, and being off the beaten track, it was more than adequate. Check google, and see if there is a reservation system.
steelbird312 WBCCI #6673 jerry Hodge
2013 31" Classic limited
Have no intention of arriving at the grave safely, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, throttle in the other, totally worn out and screaming
"WOO HOO, WHAT A RIDE!"
steelbird312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 05:43 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2013 31' Classic
Crossville , Tennessee
here you go

http://www.yellowstoneparknet.com/rv...rv_camping.php
steelbird312 WBCCI #6673 jerry Hodge
2013 31" Classic limited
Have no intention of arriving at the grave safely, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, throttle in the other, totally worn out and screaming
"WOO HOO, WHAT A RIDE!"
steelbird312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 06:59 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
http://www.yellowstonerv.com/ Grand Teton Park RV Resort

http://www.mtrv.com/Activities.html Yellowstone's Edge RV Park

We have used both of these campgrounds several times and they are our favorites outside the park, plan to drive some distance each day into the parks however. They are very nice. We would stay at one while visiting the Tetons then the other when over in Yellowstone. We have stayed in the park campgrounds and driving is cut considerably but so is your elbow room. I can't remember which in park campgrounds have hook-ups. We usually camp off season so the in park campgrounds with hookups are closed.

These are web grabs, the first is edge of Yellowstone the second at Moran Juction.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	YellowstonesEdgeView.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	23.0 KB
ID:	28329   Click image for larger version

Name:	camp1a.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	29.6 KB
ID:	28330  

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 10:23 AM   #5
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Most if not all the Park Service camp grounds in the park are dry only.
There are several in West Yellowstone that have full hookups.
check.
http://www.westyellowstonechamber.co...ness/index.htm

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 10:39 AM   #6
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
Greetings David-

Sandi and I stayed at Fishing Bridge in Yellowstone. We were there for six days so we wanted full hook-up. It iws located sort of the middle of everything and there is a good store ($$) and gas right there. But beware, you are packed in like sardines. If you decide to stay in the park make reservations now if you are staying for more than three days. About every other night they are full. We were last there this pasy September and that is really the best time to be there. More wildlife and less crowds. Have fun!
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 10:50 AM   #7
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidlaxson
I'm heading up to Yellowstone National Park in early summer of 2007. Any ideas of a good RV park ? I'll need full hook-ups as my 1972 31' Landyadt doesn't have a grey water holding tank.

Thanks,

David Laxson
New Braunfels, TX
If the holding tank is the issue, have you considered getting a blue tank? That would let you stay in the NPS run campgrounds which are far cheaper than Fishing Bridge, and FAR nicer. I know this is a anwser to a question you didnt ask, but I thought I would toss it out there anyway. For what its worth, you are going to love yellowstone. Give yourself plenty of time, early moring and late afternoon are best for wildlife viewing, low(er) crowds, and photography. If it were me I would reserve a spot for my arival night at one of the Bantera run campgrounds in the park (Canyon for example) and then move out into one of the smaller campgrounds the following morning. Have a great trip!

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 10:57 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Another choice is Flagg Ranch, located between Grand Teton and Yellowstone. It's well shaded, great lodge for store, restaurant, gifts, heavily populated in summer, but still, space for units. If you are doing both parks, Flagg Ranch is a good mid point to locate for day tripping. You are going to have to do some driving wherever you camp if you want to see lots while there. Like others, I recommend early summer or fall to avoid the summer congestion. Enjoy your planning and the journey! ~G
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 11:50 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidlaxson

Thanks,

David Laxson
New Braunfels, TX
David -

Fishing Bridge, as already mentioned, is the only full-hookup campground in the Park. My favorite, for a trailer not needing full-hookups is Grants Village. Fishing Bridge is on the north side of Yellowstone Lake, and Grants is on the south side, both of which are about as central as you can get, depending on which part of the Park you want to see on which day.

Grizzly Campgound in West Yellowstone is probably the nicest, closet campground to the Park offering full hookups, and West Yellowstone offers the best roadway for travel into the Park. (once you've experienced Yellowstone's roads you'll better appreciate the significance.)

After going to Yellowstone for vacations and fishing for the past 30 years, and now spending the entire summer and fall in that part of the country for the past 6 years, my wife and I have permanently settled into the Yellowstone's Edge RV Park, which is the best overall full-hookup RV park in that part of the country, in our opinion.
It is located on Hwy 89, about 35 miles north of the Park, and 19 miles south of Livingston, MT.
It is a bit of a long drive to get into the Park on a daily basis from there, however we have friends who stay there (from Texas, coincidentally) that drive into the Park almost every day for weeks on end. It must be a Texas thing?

John
Old 11-08-2006, 01:22 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari
Suisun City , California
Ennis?

You may also want to check out the campgrounds in Ennis, MT (about an hour north half way between Yellowstone and BOzeman. Ennis is a colorful little town that - hopefully - someday I will retire to. Right on the Madison River (great flyfishing) and Ennis Lake. Easy access back to Yellowstone and up to Bozeman other Montana sights.

JERRY

Jerry and Avis
2006 Safari Bambi 19'
2005 Toyota Tacoma PU

"Mi Casa Es Su Casa!"
WBCCI #6716
AIR #17388
Roscinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 01:44 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' Flying Cloud
Newtown , Connecticut
Hi David,
As Flyfisher said the Yellowstone/grizzy RV Park Is very nice. It is with in a mile of the West Gate of Yellowstone National Park. It's a Good Sam Park, which is in West Yellowstone,Montana. Tele.# (406) 646-4466
Old 01-03-2007, 07:49 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Hampton , New Hampshire
Grand Teton campground recommendations

We are also traveling to the Grand Teton/Yellowstone area this summer. Our goal is to stay in Grand Teton, and so we are looking for recommendations. Does anyone have experience with Coulter Bay or Flagg Ranch campgrounds within the park?
2019 Airstream Classic 30RBT, 2021 Ford F350 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley, ACI #1313

travelwiththeslowskys.com
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 09:04 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1963 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Orion , Illinois
We stayed at the KOA in West Yellowstone last summer and were very pleased with it. It was easy to get into the park. If you come in from the east side be ready for some very serious road construction- narrow and gravel.
63air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 09:26 PM   #14
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
This past Sept., Julie and I stayed for four nights at Grand Teton Park RV Resort while scouting around the Tetons NP. A bit of a drive but a nice one and if you call early enough, ask for the space on the end. You'll have an unobstructed view of the valley. You can also see the Tetons from most, if not all, of the spaces. All spaces have full hook-ups.

We also spent four nights at the Red Rock RV Campground a ways outside of West Yellowstone. A bit far to drive in to Yellowstone everyday, IMO, but a beautiful place and not too far from Henry's Lake. Up on a hill with small trees and while we were there it got windy.

Too bad we didn't know you were there Rick and Sandi or we would have looked you up.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 09:36 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

Placitas , New Mexico
Yellowstone/Grand Teton area

We stayed at a very nice place across the mountain from Jackson, WY in Victor, Idaho....the Teton Valley Campground......dropped the trailer there and took the pickup through GT and into Yellowstone then came back and spent the night and pulled the trailer back up to Old Faithful and some of the other geysers the next day. Full hookups, nice showers, wireless internet, and diesel was considerably cheaper there in Victor than in Jackson or West Yellowstone. They charged around 30 bucks a night in September.
JakBluMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 09:55 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Thumbs down Fishing Bridge

I could not wait to get out of Fishing Bridge. I was so jammed in I could hardly open the trailer door. Literally the door was jammed up against cedar tree and could only be opened about half way with no other way to park it. Was a real pain to back into also. Spent hours at the laundry waiting for a machine. The water pressure was so high I could not hook up my hose. Then switched to Madison for 5 days and loved it. Excellent campfire programs and the best coyote chorus I have ever heard. In national parks I just use a 5 gallon buket for grey water. Personally I have a hard time swallowing a little grey water on the ground is hurting anything. If you have dogs, the parkies are super strict about them being leashed at all times and never on the trails. This I can understand in a National Park although I will let my dogs run whenever I can (outside of National Parks). But then I again I am a fervent supporter of the right to arm bears.
Lumatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 11:02 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
1961 16' Bambi
1956 16' Bubble
Potrero , California
If you can run with a portible grey tank and small generator, your options will greatly multiply.
We've stayed at both Bridge Bay in Yellowstone and Coulter Bay in Grand Teton, great locations, central to all.
Both of these campgrounds have easy acces to dump stations.
The quiet we enjoyed in 05 was the norm as this year 06 we again had a great camping experiance. Campfires and critter sounds made these are easy go to spots as they are close to paddling places. (sunsets at the Tetons)

Have a great trip, see ya'll
Bob and Nanc~
The " TinDen "
2007 25' International FB
1961 Bambi, 16' California
1956 Bubble 16' California Whale Tail
Charter Member 4 Corners Unit
(View all of elfirebob's images)
elfirebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 06:07 AM   #18
GStephens

1982 31' Limited
1953 25' Cruiser
Hamilton , Texas
We've stayed at Coulter Bay. They have two campground more or less side by side. One is full service @ $48 per night, the other is pretty lacking in utilities of any kind. The full service sites are all pull through. Few trees were cut in building the sites so you'll really have to watch in a few places to avoid brushing by a limb. Sites are close together at Coulter Bay as well as at every other campground in the Yellowstone/Teton system that I've seen, but you spend so little time in your trailer and so much time out sightseeing that this was not a problem for us. Once I got past the price for what I was getting, Couler Bay was great. It is near the lake and is centrally located for both access to Yellowstone and to Grand Teton. If staying in one of the campgrounds inside either GT or Yellowstone, it is probably your best bet. GStephens
GStephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 09:38 AM   #19
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
We have stayed twice at the KOA in Teton Villiage and once at the KOA in W. Yellowstone. Both nice parks, I liked the W.Y. park better for room and location. If being closer to Jackson is important, Teton Villiage was nice with helpful staff.
Dave
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 09:56 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
We stayed for a couple of nights at the first campsite in the park as you are heading north into the park from Jackson. (Don't remember the name) It was not the best kept up or purdiest but regularly had moose casually strolling through the campground, you could walk to the river, and had plenty of room.
Lumatic is offline   Reply With Quote