Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-02-2018, 04:12 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
Fountain Inn , South Carolina
Yellowstone Camping Reservation System Change

There is a new to me reservation system for Yellowstone campgrounds. I thought some of you may need to be aware of this reservation system change. I made reservations for a trip to Yellowstone today. We have been to Yellowstone a number of times with our Safari 25 and crew cab truck. They now have an online reservations system. I could not find a site big enough for Safari 25 and truck online. Largest site in Grant Village was shown as a 40' total length (truck, camper with tongue). They warn to not book a site smaller than the total length of your rig. I figure my rig to be around 50'. So I called the reservation phone number. It turns out the larger sites are not shown online. I was able to book a site long enough to handle my rig by calling the reservation number.
Old 11-02-2018, 05:04 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2023 30' Classic
2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Jonesboro , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgerunner3 View Post
There is a new to me reservation system for Yellowstone campgrounds. I thought some of you may need to be aware of this reservation system change. I made reservations for a trip to Yellowstone today. We have been to Yellowstone a number of times with our Safari 25 and crew cab truck. They now have an online reservations system. I could not find a site big enough for Safari 25 and truck online. Largest site in Grant Village was shown as a 40' total length (truck, camper with tongue). They warn to not book a site smaller than the total length of your rig. I figure my rig to be around 50'. So I called the reservation phone number. It turns out the larger sites are not shown online. I was able to book a site long enough to handle my rig by calling the reservation number.

Thanks, very good to know!

WBCCI #8996
ghaag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 05:26 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Driftless Area , Wisconsin
Earlier this year, I was planning a trip through Yellowstone for next year. I’ve been before—twice—but never with an RV. Even when tent camping the place is a bit of a circus.

As I understand it, their largest RV park (which also accommodates the large RVs) is closed for renovations next year, as is one of the lodges. So we are staying just outside the park on the west and north sides with a short stay in between at a centrally located lodge. Many of the lodges were already sold out for next summer, at least for the period of time that we’ll be in the area.
Old 11-02-2018, 06:44 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2004 28' Classic
Monument , Colorado
Is there a six month reservation window, or can you reserve at any time? We plan on going there next May, but plan on staying between Cody and Yellowstone on the east side. I would appreciate any pointers.
DaveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 07:13 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveP View Post
Is there a six month reservation window, or can you reserve at any time? We plan on going there next May, but plan on staying between Cody and Yellowstone on the east side. I would appreciate any pointers.
Dave, less than 20 miles from the East Entrance is the Wind River Nat'l Forest campsites. They are beautiful, clean, and quiet...except for the roaring trout stream immediately outside the camper.
It was boondocking in the sense of no connections. But it was so cool temperature-wise in July that we had no need for the AC and didn't run our generator at all. A Google search along the route three days later gave us the location of which large gas stations had dump and water for RVs. It was a great solution, very comfortable, and cheap... no problem with making reservations...just pull in..find the spot you want and take it.
Farther east, nearer Cody, is the lake Buffalo Bill State Parks which have elect. and dump stations for about $20/nite.
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 07:18 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Arlington Heights , Alabama
Just outside the north entrance to Yellowstone is a terrific private park called Rocky Mountain RV Park (in Gardinier MT). It sits on a beautiful bluff overlooking the river and mountains - and you can see the entrance to the park. Clean facilities and well groomed sites - nice young owners. I highly recommend it if you don't want to fight the crowds inside the park
rgg123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 07:50 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Arlington Heights , Alabama
Forgot to add the pic of Rocky Mtn RV Park in Gardinier - see attached.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0803.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	347.0 KB
ID:	326895
rgg123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 06:29 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
For the record (and in case anyone wants to use recreation.gov to make reservations) the campgrounds outside of the Park between the East Gate and Cody are in Shoshone National Forest, not Wind River.
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 08:59 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2004 28' Classic
Monument , Colorado
Thanks Boxite!

Unfortunately, we will have the grand kids, son and daughter-in-law on the trip, so we need a campground that has rooms to rent as well as RV sites. We need a base station for trips into Yellowstone. Otherwise, we would do the sites you mentioned.

There are a couple of places along Rt. 14 between Buffalo Bill State Park and Yellowstone that have both. We are thinking about Yellowstone Valley Inn, just waiting for our kids to commit to the dates.

Does anyone know if these places fill up fast? Should I be making reservations now?

Thanks!
DaveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 09:02 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgerunner3 View Post
Your Safari is not 40';it's actually 25', 11"; that is what they are referring to. We stay in Yellowstone all the time going to/from Montana. We used to pull our Safari 25's each year, then a 25' FC, and now have a 28'. You disconnect from your trailer and park next to it or across the space 90 degrees to the trailer...not a problem.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	yellowstone.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	155.2 KB
ID:	326915   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yellowstone lake.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	126.2 KB
ID:	326916  

Click image for larger version

Name:	buffalo in yellowstone.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	282.8 KB
ID:	326917  
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 09:11 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Driftless Area , Wisconsin
Dave, I was advised to start trip planning a year in advance for anything around the popular national parks. I started in early September. And sure enough, as I mentioned above, many hotel rooms and entire lodges in Yellowstone were sold out by the time I started looking.

I’m on the fence about the amount of time in advance people can book out campsites online and the fact that in at least some parks (both national and state) almost all sites are reservable. It’s great for those who have the time to plan a trip (and I’m generally impressed with the reservation systems) and can handle the eBay mentality when reservations open but a real bummer for those (particularly with families) who both want to wander and stay at some of our national parks.

When I was backpacking 15-20 years ago you could basically just show up. In fact I think that was the only option in most places (I never made a reservation before 2015 and am brand new to the RV site game).

Now you all keep it down and get off my lawn!

I’m fine with how things netted out for us. I’ve seen pictures of fishing bridge or whatever the large RV park in Yellowstone is and frankly I think it’s not any better than a truck stop. So we are staying at a lodge for a few days in order to explore the area in the middle of the park.
Old 11-03-2018, 09:23 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
Farmville , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxite View Post
Dave, less than 20 miles from the East Entrance is the Wind River Nat'l Forest campsites. They are beautiful, clean, and quiet...except for the roaring trout stream immediately outside the camper.
It was boondocking in the sense of no connections. But it was so cool temperature-wise in July that we had no need for the AC and didn't run our generator at all. A Google search along the route three days later gave us the location of which large gas stations had dump and water for RVs. It was a great solution, very comfortable, and cheap... no problem with making reservations...just pull in..find the spot you want and take it.
Farther east, nearer Cody, is the lake Buffalo Bill State Parks which have elect. and dump stations for about $20/nite.
Actually, it’s the Shoshone National Forest outside Yellowstone’s East Entrance. There are 5 or 6 campgrounds on the National Forest. Two have electric hookups (Wapiti CG and Rex Hale CG). Yellowstone Valley Inn rarely fills up. It can be a little windy on the lower end of the valley, but the campgrounds on the National Forest offer some of the best camping in the country.
HoffmanP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 10:37 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2007 27' Classic FB
Ridgefield , Washington
FWIW, Fishing Bridge will be closed for the 2019 season. They are doing some kind of renovations. Information doesn't seem available on what they are doing exactly. (Hopefully spreading it out so it isn't so tight) So, 340 sites in Yellowstone will not be available next year. Think I would make those reservations sooner rather than later.
We did five days at Bridge Bay CG last summer and were pretty happy. Just wish they had showers.
Old 11-03-2018, 11:23 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1988 32.5' Airstream 325
WhereIam , Left Coast Proud
Exclamation No No No, CHECK WEBSITE AGAIN!

We went over this before in another thread, the length of the site is based on TRAILER LENGTH ONLY! Check forum threads for this because I entered website proof for this.

If you remember from your tent camping days there are always two parking spaces per campsite, one of those will be for your tow/toad.
3wd67rg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 02:16 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Box Elder (formerly Long Island, NY) , South Dakota
Thanks for posting that phone#......

Oh wait,

You didn't include the phone#.....

Never mind.
NY24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 02:23 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Las Vegas , Nevada
Hi we stayed at 3 mile campground southeast entrance. That 3 miles was not near anything. 60 minutes drive, for about 28 miles to a destination. 190 miles trip to go to Lamar Valley to see Bison round trip . Then we were to late to get parking at the falls and the Old faithful. Spent an hour at each place trying to park . Arrr it all cost way to much time and gass just not worth it.not going back
TheParula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 02:33 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Las Vegas , Nevada
It seems some some campgrounds say you have to include your tow vehicle. I even have phoned some parks talked to a ranger, that insisted we have to include our tow truck in the length. Great Basin is one of them ??
Old 11-03-2018, 02:35 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Las Vegas , Nevada
Just started with a trailer and am tied of the inconsistency for sure
Old 11-03-2018, 03:07 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
Fountain Inn , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3wd67rg View Post
We went over this before in another thread, the length of the site is based on TRAILER LENGTH ONLY! Check forum threads for this because I entered website proof for this.

If you remember from your tent camping days there are always two parking spaces per campsite, one of those will be for your tow/toad.

I disagree. When you attempt to book Grant Village campground online, it is very clear that you need to include the total length of trailer and tow vehicle. 40' was the max I could book online. There was warning to not exceed the 40' total length. When I called the reservation number the agent said you could not book the double wide 30' sites (park truck beside trailer) and the sites longer than 40' online.

I was only trying to be helpful by posting this new to me information. I was not attempting to troll anyone. I have stayed in Yellowstone many times. The last time I was there the online reservation system did not exist. If in doubt call the reservation agent.

The language copied straight from the reservation system. The same language was in place about it being a single width site for th 30' sites also.

Capacity for Grant Campground Large Tent and/or RV 40-foot Total or Less Site:
  • RV/Vehicle combination, 40' total length or less and either
  • One large tent, 12'x12' or smaller or two small tents, each 8'x8' or smaller
  • This is a single-width site. The total extended length of all vehicles and towed/towing equipment cannot exceed 40 feet
Old 11-03-2018, 03:35 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Missouri Valley , Iowa
An option we discovered while on the Springtime in the Rockies Caravan this year is the Colter Bay C/G in Teton Nat'l Park. It's not too far from the south entrance to Yellowstone and is a very nice area. Jackson Lake Lodge is nearby for dining if you wish. The sites seemed nice and not crowded close together. Our next Yellowstone visit will find us at this campground.

Dan
Farmer Dan is offline   Reply With Quote