Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-12-2012, 07:27 AM   #181
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2005 ford
See the attached warning for all you bell wearers and pepper spray users. LOL.
I have seen that, .it's pretty funny.

I use to visit my a uncle who lived in Alaska during high school. He lived in Sitka. We where in the dive/outdoor shop, he new the owners. Some guys came in that were headed into the back country, and had a .357 revolver for perfection. The owner so they better shave the sites off the end of the barrels if they were taking them with them. They looked very puzzled and asked why. The owner laughed and said; " because after you get done shooting the bears itch that gun, he is gonna shove that gun up you ass, and it will hurt less without the site on it."

True story, I think I was 16 at the time.

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 12:11 PM   #182
2 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
Benicia , California
I'll be in yellowstone next week, this thread has great info. booked into Madison for Wednesday night then playing it by ear. Planning on leaving Madison early morning and heading to another campground in the Park. Does anyone know if the parking lots in the park have spaces long enough to stop with the trailer to see the sights? or do I need to find the next camping spot, un-hitch the then head out to explore. I haven't been to yellowstone since I was about 6 years old, so I don't remember much of the details.
Stan Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 12:28 PM   #183
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Nearly all areas have RV spots in outlying areas of parking lots, but you will probably enjoy touring more if you leave your Airstream in the campground. Yellowstone is a huge park, so you'll get better fuel economy, have better access to close-in parking and be able to maneuver in heavy traffic a lot easier.

Just another opinion...
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 02:26 PM   #184
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I agree, leave your trailer behind.

Sometimes your parking for animal viewing is a pullout, and so a trailer would be a hindrance.

Have a great time.

Maggie
Old 08-12-2012, 02:37 PM   #185
3 Rivet Member

1999 23' Safari
Austin , Texas
Old Faithful has adequate parking but the other areas would be a challenge if not impossible. Been there three times and unhooking seems to be sage advice in my experience. It's a fantastic experience!
Old 08-12-2012, 03:07 PM   #186
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Morrilton , Arkansas
We have not seen a bear - but a HUGE moose sauntered through our CG in Gros Ventre in Teton NP last night. We're headed to West Yellowstone in the morning.

Toodling around Jackson this afternoon. Had to re-supply.

We met some nice people with a 1975 Excella at the Visitor Center here in Jackson. Bob & Jill from Ohio. They're camped at the Virginian tonight. Its a greatr RV park in Jackson with a hotel and resort.

Back out to the wilderness for us!

"Besides, I'm a gypsy at heart
and I like to travel around."
Reba McEntire

LawChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 11:30 PM   #187
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
That sign reminds me of the Gary Larson cartoon, with two bears lying on their backs in the woods, with full bellies, and some hunters' paraphernalia lying around. One bear says to the other, "That was incredible! Soft and pink on the outside, and white and crunchy on the inside."

We get bears around here, especially when the fruit trees are ripe. Bear scat this time of year is generally loaded with fruit pits. Fortunately, not human remains.
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 07:00 PM   #188
3 Rivet Member

2000 34' Limited
Lebanon , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Roadschooler
Yellowstone Campgrounds

Heading out to YSNP in September. Have stayed at Fishing Bridge in the past. We would love to stay in one of the other campgrounds, does anyone have any experience with a 34 footer in Grant, Bridge Bay or Madison?

Thanks for your help...
Old 08-14-2012, 07:50 PM   #189
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Bridge Bay has some double wides that can fit a truck/car next to the trailer. Call Xanterra and talk to some one about reserving that type of site.

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 11:48 PM   #190
3 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Bothell , Washington
Basically they will let you know where they can put you. My experience is that they don't let you pick.
Old 08-15-2012, 12:18 AM   #191
3 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Bothell , Washington
Of you can mobilize early enough, Indian creek was pretty nice. The ranger there told me to arrive between 8 am and 9 too get a spot.
Old 08-15-2012, 05:36 PM   #192
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadschooler View Post
Heading out to YSNP in September. Have stayed at Fishing Bridge in the past. We would love to stay in one of the other campgrounds, does anyone have any experience with a 34 footer in Grant, Bridge Bay or Madison?

Thanks for your help...
We've stayed in both Grant Village and Bridge Bay, and both are nice. The sites in Bridge Bay aren't wooded, but there is decent spacing between them. Although we have the small Bambi ourselves, we never noticed a shortage of monster 5th wheels and motor homes in either CG. Bridge Bay was nice for us, but a lot of the parking pads were very sloping, despite being recently paved. Our friends couldn't get their fridge to work, despite carrying boards to raise their motor home up on the downhill side. Would suggest you take some spare risers, just in case, if you camp there.

What? No more bear jokes?
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 07:16 PM   #193
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Morrilton , Arkansas
We're headed to Grant tomorrow for three nights. We were worried about our combined truck and trailer length until we drove out there yesterday and looked at the sites. We can easily fit both the AS and truck in a spot despite the fact they said on the website we shouldn't be more than 40 ft. There was an elk walking around the campground yesterday.

The weather today is wonderful. Perfect.
There is some haze due to Idaho's fires but nothing too bad. We went to Yellowstone's Canyon yesterday. Beautiful.

One note I would add after being here a few days - buy your groceries well before you get to the park because the general store prices in the park, as one would expect, are awful. We're paying $4.19 for diesel in the parks - but that's about the same in the towns, too.

Looked all over for bear yesterday - going into Hayden Valley just before dark just hoping for a sighting. We saw bunches of elk and moose. No bear. I'm starting to be less scared of them since I can't even find one when I'm looking for it! I will say there is a whole lot of bear sign in the Canyon area and Hayden valley....tree clawing marks and scat. And I started down the Inspiration Point trail only to come upon a sign that said, ominously, "trail closed" and "This area is being frequented by bears." That turned me around quick. Turning tail and running come to mind...but I only kinda' walked a little faster, back to the truck.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	057 - Copy.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	447.8 KB
ID:	165888  

Reba McEntire

Old 08-16-2012, 09:19 AM   #194
3 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
1955 22' Safari
Butte , Montana
Im boondocking at gros ventre campground in teton NP. Had a ginormous bull moose walk through my campsite this morning. I will be showing my photography this weekend at Art Fair Jackson Hole. Stop by and say hi.
Scott
wheelerimage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 10:18 AM   #195
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Morrilton , Arkansas
Moose

Scott, that's MY bull moose. I woke up to find him sleeping in the grass outside my bedroom window while we were at Gros Ventre! LOL There's a cow there, too. If you get near the cow, the bull will blow at you! He's a friendly fellow otherwise. I have photos of him, ty.oo. It's just such a hassle for me to put photos up, so I'm glad you'll post yours.

Folks there said he pretty much lives in and around the campground. Must like human company. Maybe he thinks the people in tents will be easier bear bait, so he's safe! LOL That's what I think in my AS.

Reba McEntire

Old 08-16-2012, 11:34 AM   #196
3 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
1955 22' Safari
Butte , Montana
I didnt get photos of him. I had to leave to set up for the Art Fair. Im in my 65globetrotter in site 30. Say hi if im around. The art fair is friday, sat,sun in miller park in jackson hole. I will be working my booth
Old 08-16-2012, 12:14 PM   #197
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB International
2007 19' International CCD
Steamboat Springs , Colorado
Is this the guy?

From September 2009,

First picture at gros ventre campground.

second viewing Tetons
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1191.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	494.4 KB
ID:	165964   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1192.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	253.2 KB
ID:	165965  

Steamy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 02:08 PM   #198
3 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
1955 22' Safari
Butte , Montana
That might be him. He hasnt shed his velvet yet this year
Old 08-19-2012, 03:35 PM   #199
3 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
2011 30' International
mooresburg , Tennessee
stayed 4 nights in Grant , great campground, and easy to see the whole park from, shower were very nice , restaurant was also good.
gtc6452 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 06:55 PM   #200
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Morrilton , Arkansas
Woohoo! We are in Livingston in a little RV park with hookups! We spent 6 days yellowstoning! We were done! But the road to Gardiner was a thrill ride! Warm brakes on the truck & traylah, despite using mostly gears. I'll post photos, but it was a relief to get on 89 across the Montana line. The whole trip out, from Grant CG, to Canyon Village, then across to Norris, and up to Mammoth is beAutiful, but requires a skilled AS driver and good nerves!

We saw lots of bighorn sheep above the river and stopped to watch them and cool our brakes at the river bridge.

I guess my favorite place was the canyon, Old Faithful Inn, not the Lodge.. Very different places. And I loved Grant Campground. We truly felt like we were camping there- unlike some places. We had a campfire, ran around during the day, hung around camp at night. The lake is right there down a short trail.

One thing- we had no AT&T service, a little Verizon. Truly unhooked. Kinda nice to be back in civilization.

On our way to Glacier National Park now, although we're taking two or three days to get there.

We saw a total of five Airstreams in the park ( including our friends who were at Grant with us) and met two on the way out.

I'll post photos when I get the computer up again!

Reba McEntire