Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-31-2012, 11:55 PM   #101
4 Rivet Member

1976 27' Overlander
Missoula , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by LawChick View Post
Question: We were planning to go in through Cody, but that puts us way north of Teton. Is there a good road we could go SW off 90 at some point and start thru the Tetons before Yellowstone? After we go through Badlands?

Also, once we go in from south, can our rig handle the roads inside the parks until we find a place to drop it? Plan is to drop it somewhere & explore in our TV...
To answer your questions - depending on how close to Rapid you want to get (like, going to Mt. Rushmore or Crazy Horse Monument) you could head south from there toward Hot Springs, SD, and Wind Cave National Park. From there, west toward Douglas, WY and Casper, then you're headed to Jackson via Riverton. Pretty drive the closer you get to Jackson.

As for the roads - you'll have absolutely no problem with your TV or towing your AS on any of the roads in either Yellowstone or the Tetons.

As for the pups... sorry, can't answer that one!
(oh, and Kelly's - isn't it just a beautiful evening in Missoula!)
OilnH2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 12:19 AM   #102
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Morrilton , Arkansas
Unhappy Now you skeered me!

Lawdie mercie, Vernon....now you really HAVE freaked me out! You're as bad as ole Brad.
As it is, I feel like I'm in a foreign country, being a little ole arkie who usually stays close to, or east of, the Mississippi River. Mt. Mitchell and Clingman's Dome are the biggest mountains I've seen - so I'm a little nervous. But if you folks are yanking 34 footers around, we should be ok in our little 29', won't we? Well, won't we? I'm thinking about hot brakes....hot transmissions...hot diesel....oh, me.....I'll be wanting tranquilizers, or liquor, or something!

"Besides, I'm a gypsy at heart
and I like to travel around."
Reba McEntire

LawChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 07:19 AM   #103
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1956 22' Caravanner
Mayto , Jalisco
Quote:
Originally Posted by LawChick
Lawdie mercie, Vernon....now you really HAVE freaked me out! You're as bad as ole Brad.
As it is, I feel like I'm in a foreign country, being a little ole arkie who usually stays close to, or east of, the Mississippi River. Mt. Mitchell and Clingman's Dome are the biggest mountains I've seen - so I'm a little nervous. But if you folks are yanking 34 footers around, we should be ok in our little 29', won't we? Well, won't we? I'm thinking about hot brakes....hot transmissions...hot diesel....oh, me.....I'll be wanting tranquilizers, or liquor, or something!
We absolutely loved the Black Hills and Custer State Park in particular. I can recommend Center Lake campground, quiet and peaceful. We had #28 right on the creek and walked 3 minutes to the lake every morning and then hiked Harney Peak connecting to Cathedral Spires-Amazing!
Our plan was to overnight in Cody on enroute to Yellowstone, but we received a great tip in Shell City from one of the 63 locals. Free camping at the Dinosaur track park about 5 miles off of the main road. We were in a stunning valley surrounded by buttes, the place was empty-I mean no one. There were super clean toilets and covered picnic tables, and of course the tracks. It put us a bit closer than staying at Big Horn and cheaper and more pleasant than Cody.
Grant at Yellowstone has several sites on the lake 305-315 I believe, check the online map. You may be able to reserve specific spots in Sept. We did see Old Faithful erupt twice and more exciting Bee Hive which only goes every 16 hours. The Grand Canyon of Yellowstone was really something. We saw bison and a black bear. It was a long day to cover from Grant north to Mammoth and then back south, but I felt it was worth it. I felt like I was being processed and wanted to move on. I have been much happier here at Grand Teton. I live the campground at Signal Mt., right on Jackson Lake overlooking the range. The lodge is 5 minute walk away with free WiFi, coffee, boat ramp, restaurant, gas, stores, etc., but feels small and manageable. We are in the no generator loop #78. Many sites have lake and mountain views. Catch is to be here by 10am for the turnover as it is 1st come. Rigs under 30 ft only. We've had 2 awesome hikes and hubby caught a trout, oh and you are allowed to collect wood and to have a fire here, not in YS. btw there was a fire last week in WindCave, SD so make sure it's open now. Enjoy!
hollyhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 09:42 AM   #104
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAB View Post
Really want to plan a trip to Yellowstone in September. What kind of crowd would I find around the third week of September? I don't want to do this if it's going to be bumper to bumper. Anyone give me their experience for a visit this time of the year??
We drove through Yellowstone last September, but didn't camp there-- en route from Colorado to BC. The roads weren't crowded (although you can always expect delays if people spot wildlife near the road) but parking areas at the thermal features were surprisingly crowded: apparently all of the people without children (or with grandparents to look after them) decided September was the time to beat the rush!

Then during the real off-season a lot of the park campgrounds are closed and you can count on frosty nights. The nps.gov site for Yellowstone indicates their open dates.

www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvisit/open_closedates.htm#CP_JUMP_127510

If you want to plug in, it looks like Fishing Bridge closes Sept. 23. You might consider one of the RV parks in West Yellowstone. They are fairly close to the thermal features (mostly on the west side) and would allow you to plug in.
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 10:21 AM   #105
1 Rivet Member

1993 21' Sovereign
Scaly Mountain , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAB View Post
Really want to plan a trip to Yellowstone in September. What kind of crowd would I find around the third week of September? I don't want to do this if it's going to be bumper to bumper. Anyone give me their experience for a visit this time of the year??
We were there in late Sept just before the park closes and there were no crowds.
earlwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 09:06 PM   #106
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by LawChick View Post
Lawdie mercie, Vernon........oh, me.....I'll be wanting tranquilizers, or liquor, or something!
All of those work...like a previous post, we felt like YellerStone was a 'take a number' park...you stand in line and take your turn...

GTNP didn't seem to have an agenda.

Don't worry about the roads..as long as there is a GIANT 5th wheel or diesel pusher coming from the other direction, you can make it with no problem. I know, you are thinkin' "what if they just turned around and were tryin' to get out"...no worries...there are no turn around spots...
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 10:00 PM   #107
3 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
1955 22' Safari
Butte , Montana
Bab,
September is possibly the best time to visit Yellowstone because that is the elk rut. Aka mating season. Everyone needs to hear a bull elk bugle at least once. Wildlife are more active in Sept, and look great in their new winter coats. There are fewer tourists in the park in sept.
wheelerimage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 10:06 PM   #108
3 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
1955 22' Safari
Butte , Montana
Best camping locations for sept elk season are mammoth or madison
wheelerimage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 11:02 PM   #109
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Morrilton , Arkansas
Mitchell SD to Interior then Custer SP

Thanks everyone!
I was trying to put some photos in to share and lost my whole message. Grrrrrr
Tomorrow we leave Mitchell, SD where we've been hanging out on the side of I-90 while doing shopping, seeing a quirky little thing called "Corn Palace," which was really pretty cool, and preparing to move on. This campground is kind of like a Walmart parking lot with hookups, but it was cheap with Passport. (R & R CG) It's behind a motel, but the people are super nice and it suited our needs.

We are reserved for two nights - tomorrow and Friday - at Badlands Ranch and RV Resort near Interior SD. Hope it's good. Using it for a base to see Badlands.

Holly, I'm so glad to hear Custer State Park is good. We are in there for Saturday and Sunday while we see Rushmore and Crazy Horse. Ray thinks we should. I guess it's obligatory since we're in the area. We could only get the two nights, and it is in Game Lodge campground there. We were happy to get anything with Sturgis starting Monday.

We don't do much more than 200 or so miles a day before stopping for a couple of nights at least. Our dog is old, too, and needs to rest up after every trip since he's not a great traveler.

After Custer SP we'll start heading further west. It's 364 miles from Custer to Cody, so I know we won't do that in one day, especially with great scenery! I've been looking at the roads around Big Horn...but we're going in! LOL So, I appreciate the information about betwixt and between. At the rate we move, we may end up being around YS in September! But we hope to make it up to Glacier before it gets too late in the season. I'm excited about Grand Teton, too.

Had a rainstorm this afternoon. The wind blew gale force. Of course, the AS didn't care. The rain was wonderful, and there was a big ole rainbow afterwards. I'll post photos when I figure out how. I have a new computer we bought in Sioux Falls, too, so I'm doubly challenged.

Thanks so much! What would we do without the forum?

"Besides, I'm a gypsy at heart
and I like to travel around."
Reba McEntire

LawChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 11:49 PM   #110
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Port Angeles , Washington
Carol as long as you are in the area take a few minutes to see the Minuteman Missile Site. It's at I think exit 110 on I-90. Go south about 1/2 mile and you will see a chain link fence. It's free and you can take a cell phone tour to explain what you are looking at. It only takes a few minutes and it will send a shiver up your spine. When you leave cross the highway and you are at Wall Drug, another tourist thing to do as long as you are right there.

Enjoy, Dan
Smartstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 12:08 AM   #111
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Port Angeles , Washington
While I think of it if you want to revisit the fifties stop at Boondocks. It's on US 385 just a couple of miles east of Deadwood, SD. Have an ice cream cone and enjoy the old cars and yes they have a flamingo flock.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3721.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	257.9 KB
ID:	164490 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3722.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	515.1 KB
ID:	164491

Cheers, Dan
Smartstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 05:15 AM   #112
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Be aware that there are burro herds that roam Custer state park. They are very friendly, will come right up to you and like to be fed carrots.

They are, however, WILD ANIMALS! We had a too-close encounter in 2002 with a large male burro there, who reacted suddenly to something we believe he thought was a snake. We were in his way, and I still have a scar on my leg from being scraped (through jeans) by his hoof.

Stay in your vehicle, is my advice, and give them carrots through the window.

Maggie
Old 08-02-2012, 01:07 PM   #113
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1956 22' Caravanner
Mayto , Jalisco
Quote:
Originally Posted by LawChick
Thanks everyone!
I was trying to put some photos in to share and lost my whole message. Grrrrrr
Tomorrow we leave Mitchell, SD where we've been hanging out on the side of I-90 while doing shopping, seeing a quirky little thing called "Corn Palace," which was really pretty cool, and preparing to move on. This campground is kind of like a Walmart parking lot with hookups, but it was cheap with Passport. (R & R CG) It's behind a motel, but the people are super nice and it suited our needs.

We are reserved for two nights - tomorrow and Friday - at Badlands Ranch and RV Resort near Interior SD. Hope it's good. Using it for a base to see Badlands.

Holly, I'm so glad to hear Custer State Park is good. We are in there for Saturday and Sunday while we see Rushmore and Crazy Horse. Ray thinks we should. I guess it's obligatory since we're in the area. We could only get the two nights, and it is in Game Lodge campground there. We were happy to get anything with Sturgis starting Monday.

We don't do much more than 200 or so miles a day before stopping for a couple of nights at least. Our dog is old, too, and needs to rest up after every trip since he's not a great traveler.

After Custer SP we'll start heading further west. It's 364 miles from Custer to Cody, so I know we won't do that in one day, especially with great scenery! I've been looking at the roads around Big Horn...but we're going in! LOL So, I appreciate the information about betwixt and between. At the rate we move, we may end up being around YS in September! But we hope to make it up to Glacier before it gets too late in the season. I'm excited about Grand Teton, too.

Had a rainstorm this afternoon. The wind blew gale force. Of course, the AS didn't care. The rain was wonderful, and there was a big ole rainbow afterwards. I'll post photos when I figure out how. I have a new computer we bought in Sioux Falls, too, so I'm doubly challenged.

Thanks so much! What would we do without the forum?
If tnere is anyway to get more time in Custer I would, it is more interesting than the Badlands. The Center Lake campground is really nice and nearby is a playhouse which has a real hit this yeat, the drunken chaperone. My, friends came from Raoid City to see it as it is getting such good reviews. CRAZY HORSE for sure, spend a couple of hours there, well worth it, fascinating story. Rushmore you can see from the road and save the fee. Funny after seeing it I figured it was a slap in the face to Native Americans and did a google search after, the consider it like carving Hitler's face into a sacred mountain. I oosted the article on my Facebook page, if you want to friend me there you will find it, just search FB for HollyHunter or use my email "theotherhollyhunter@gmail.com". On your way to Cody consider overnighting at the free spot I described in Shell City, it was really special.
Old 08-02-2012, 01:51 PM   #114
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
I stayed in a camp ground just south of the south entrance. It only can find flag ranch. Could this have been it or is there another one. ? Want to head thee for labor day.

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 09:16 PM   #115
3 Rivet Member

2013 22' FB Sport
College Place , Washington
Flagg ranch is it....stayed there year before last. Lots of dust, kids, and noise and LOTS of mosquitos. Never again. Go farther south and get something in Tetons. Coulter Bay is great, although the spots are close together.

And there is always space to camp in the Tetons if you are willing to dry camp.

-Dwight
morgandc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 09:25 AM   #116
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1956 22' Caravanner
Mayto , Jalisco
Quote:
Originally Posted by morgandc
Flagg ranch is it....stayed there year before last. Lots of dust, kids, and noise and LOTS of mosquitos. Never again. Go farther south and get something in Tetons. Coulter Bay is great, although the spots are close together.

And there is always space to camp in the Tetons if you are willing to dry camp.

-Dwight
We are sadly just pulling out of Signal Mountain Campground in the Grand Tetons, way better than Coulter Bay (showers at $3.75 each) and much nicer than any campgrounds in Yellowstone. 2 things, it is first come first serve so get here early, no later than 10am, less than 30ft, no hook up sites are $20.50, all bathrooms are nearby, but no showers, one site has hookups but is $55. 2 loops are for those with generators and one loop without. The lakeside lodge has awesome food at good, reasonable prices, dinner last night was Cobb Salad with smoked trout and an order of Tacos for $30...hubby had a beer I think, we left food behind there was so much. They have free coffee and wifi in the lobby of the reception building with a game room, TV and computers. Convienence store, gas station, dock, marina and gift shop...but very low key, not crowded and magnificent views over the lake of the Tetons. Very centrally located for hiking, fishing and boating. I LOVE THIS PLACE!
Old 08-03-2012, 10:00 AM   #117
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Signal mountain sounds good. Anyone stayed at lizard creek? I have only ever stayed a colter bay.

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 12:50 PM   #118
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by purman View Post
Signal mountain sounds good. Anyone stayed at lizard creek? I have only ever stayed a colter bay.
We drove thru Lizard creek I believe. It's just north of Colter Bay, right? The sites were much more private but most were pretty small.
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 02:32 PM   #119
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1956 22' Caravanner
Mayto , Jalisco
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHoAgRV
We drove thru Lizard creek I believe. It's just north of Colter Bay, right? The sites were much more private but most were pretty small.
We checked out the Lizard Camp and found it depressing, no ammenities at all. Signal Mt is only 17 more miles south into the park.
Old 08-03-2012, 04:01 PM   #120
3 Rivet Member

2013 22' FB Sport
College Place , Washington
I was too long in my 37' Class A for signal mountain, looking forward to the day I have a towable that fits
morgandc is offline   Reply With Quote