Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-03-2021, 09:52 AM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Greeneville , Tennessee
I use them and would camp without them. I don't use chocks at all, the plastic ones let me down several years ago. Not only do they stabilize the Airstream, they will not allow it to roll.
jimfa440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 10:12 AM   #22
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
I need to stop reading these forums. Now I’ve added another item to my list of stuff to buy for the Airstream.

Past:
Airstream International Serenity 23FB
Newmar Ventana 3715
Dennis C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 11:02 AM   #23
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by m rafferty View Post
I use these and love then. Not as fancy as the others but lighter, work great and cost much less.
Walmart

This button opens a dialog that displays additional images for this product with the option to zoom in or out.Camco RV Wheel Stop with Padlock- Stabilizes Your Trailer by Securing Tandem Tires to Prevent Movement While Parked- 26" to 30" Tires- Large (44642)

Camco RV Wheel Stop with Padlock- Stabilizes Your Trailer by Securing Tandem Tires to Prevent Movement While Parked- 26" to 30" Tires- Large (44642)

Report incorrect product information
Camco
Camco RV Wheel Stop with Padlock- Stabilizes Your Trailer by Securing Tandem Tires to Prevent Movement While Parked- 26" to 30" Tires- Large (44642)
Average Rating
) stars
out of 5 stars
17 ratings, based on17reviews
3 commentsCamcoWalmart # 551832272
$29.32$29.32WAS $37.63
We use these as well. Relatively inexpensive and they do help with stabilization. Probably not as good as the x-chocks.
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 11:52 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2022 20' Basecamp
1968 17' Caravel
Los Osos , California
We find the X-Chocks by themselves are just enough. The crank down stabilizers have always seemed too stiff and impart a harshness that we find annoying.

Be careful not to over tighten the X-Chocks. I remember a thread a few years back that indicated over tightening can lead to deformed axle ends.
SilverWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 01:18 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
New Hudson , Michigan
Probably need to consider your rig as well, I have a FC 30FB Bunk model, and with just one 7yr old in the back bunk there is a noticeable difference having the x-chocks on the trailer, but looking at the responses that tends to be what your seeing the longer the unit the longer you have between the wheel base and the tongue jack which makes for easier lateral movement, it may not be as noticeable on smaller rig in the 19-25ft range.
ekbruster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 05:33 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Washington , Washington, D.C.
Hi all,
Because of your encouraging words, I decided to give my never-used X-chocks a try yesterday but was not successful. The circular wrench did not expand the chock as shown in the YouTube I watched. I fiddled with it for a while, moving the metal pin both ways, turning the chock both ways, no joy.
Two things that really bother me about these chocks are their weight, and how hard it is to keep a grasp on the long, metal handles when you're positioning them between tires.
Your inputs have convinced me there's value in having them so I'm switching to the Camco chocks that the raffertys love (previous post). I like that they're light and simple to operate. I even like that they're yellow. And the price is certainly right.
They'll go into my hitch box where they'll be handy and more likely to be used. And this move means I can get rid of the Craftsman box/X-Chocks and gain back space and payload.
Thanks for your inputs.
PatLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 06:32 AM   #27
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
Because of this thread, I decided to add a camco x style chock also.. I needed another set of the leggo blocks anyway, so added the inexpensive chock. Leaving in a few weeks for the southwest. I’ll post back on how they do.

Previous AS trailers: (04) 19’ Bambi, and (11) FC 23FB
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 08:52 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
I have used my set for 7 years now without problems and a previous set of slightly different design for a number of years before that. No problems at all as long as I keep them lubricated and or greased. One thing I learned was to loosen them up only enough to release them from between the tires before storing them in the rear side compartment of my Airstream. I always pick the wrong direction to ratchet so if they just fit while ratcheting then I quickly can tell if I'm going in the wrong direction. I also use a Master lock to secure them so they don't walk off.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 02:51 PM   #29
3 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
Sarasota , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mx468 View Post
I think the case is from Lowe’s. Here’s a link
https://www.lowes.com/pd/CRAFTSMAN-V...Box/1000578377
The case might help me keep track of mine.!
I turn the curbside upside down and use the handle as a leash tether for the dog
GatorDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 04:27 PM   #30
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
X-Chocks should not be used in stead of wheel chocks. The trailer can be moved with them in place. What a mess that can make. Go to Harbor Freight and get two pair of their larger rubber chocks, then use the X-Chocks if you still need them.
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 05:03 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2007 27' Safari FB SE
NW Oregon in a nice spot , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorDave View Post
The case might help me keep track of mine.!
I turn the curbside upside down and use the handle as a leash tether for the dog
I think the crafstman case might help me keep mine in one place as well without having to get another rubbermaid. It seems storage boxes are like closets - more room so they get filled with more stuff. Maybe a smaller box will keep my stuff from spontaneously growing as it seems to do.
bweybright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 09:42 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I have the BAL chocks. Same company, fewer moving parts.
I don't think of adding stability when I use them, I want them to keep me from rolling.
If you have the lego type blocks under one side, you discover the wedge type chocks don't work, so I jam the wheels before unhitching.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 09:42 AM   #33
3 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
East Lansing , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatLee View Post
Happy New Year, all! I continue to have questions.

Based on advice from AirForums, I bought a set of X-Chocks two seasons ago. I even bought a nice Craftsman case to store them in. However, I've never used them. I've talked to other Airstreamers and RV campers in various campgrounds about what they think of them and everyone thinks they're great. I read on this Forum that you all think they're great. Because why? Because they improve stability of the trailer (in addition to the trailer's stabilizers)? Because they add more support/back-up to the other chocks in use? In both cases, this seems functionally redundant to me. Before I unload them, I need to know what I'm missing.
Call me,
Searching for Answers from the Road
I use them every time... even just overnight. I like the stability. I also like the added hassel to remove them.... that is one more hindrance to would be trailer thieves.
SnowWanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 09:50 AM   #34
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
For those of you who use X-Chocks, do you use them alone or in conjunction with standard wheel chocks?

Past:
Airstream International Serenity 23FB
Newmar Ventana 3715
Dennis C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 10:00 AM   #35
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Lake Charles , SW Louisiana
For me, the X-chocks are more reliable in terms of holding the trailer in place when I'm hitching up (i.e. back into receiver) or un-hitching (pulling out) using our ProPride 3P WD/AS hitch. As well, while I also have wedge chocks on board, I find that I tend to use the. X-chocks by default and seldom see need for wedges.
Old 01-10-2021, 10:08 AM   #36

2012 30' International
Ottawa , Ontario
I have the BAL units - love them. An advantage not mentioned above is that they don't get covered in the mud/slop that you may be parked in.
Rob D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 10:13 AM   #37
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
"To chock or not to chock;(or use X-chocks) that is the question!"

We have both chocks and X-Chocks. We have had a couple of occasions where there were issues with both. The regular chocks to me, are best. (many years using chocks on aircraft)...but when using leggo leveling blocks, the regular chocks do not work. So we purchased the X-chocks and were using those only, until last year, when we were on a slight incline on one side, and it was raining...we had one side on leggo leveling blocks and inserted the X-chocks...the tires were wet, and when I raised the tongue with the power jack to unhitch, the AS rolled backwards off the leggo's (even thou the X-chocks were installed) and we rolled off the front jack block! Fortunately, the AS rolled only a foot or so, but still was a wake up call; could have been much worse if it had continued to roll like on a hill! Note that X-chocks with "nubs" that grip the tires would be best for sure. Also, make sure the X-chocks are cranked tight.

I really think the Anderson or Camco type blocks you roll on to for leveling with their chock, along with X-chocks is best now for some situations.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 10:26 AM   #38
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' Tommy Bahama
Bainbridge Island , Washington
I use them all the time. The one time I forgot to pull one out, when I pulled forward it popped right out. Makes me wonder how secure they really are. I’m going to get some rubber chocks and use both.
pwlldvd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 10:28 AM   #39
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' International
Middletown , Ohio
BAL X-Chocks

We use ours whenever we are more than a night to reduce excessive movement from us walking around. Once you get used to them they are not difficult to use. With the ratchet wrench that they come with, the wrench may not work well if they are not tight enough to keep the ratchet mechanism engaged on the return stroke after tightening (as with nearly any ratchet). I open mine slightly with the wrench before placing them between the tires. Then the ratchet remains engaged on the return stroke and they tighten quickly. I also do not fully retract them if I will use them at our next stop and simply place them in the truck bed (we have a cover for the bed). If I need them fully retracted for storage in the trailer at the end of our trip, I retract them on the tailgate.

We also use these in addition to standard wheel chock (ie: wedges).
RJKSr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 10:30 AM   #40
2 Rivet Member

2016 28' International
Tempe , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne&Sam View Post
I find they take more of the movement out of the trailer than just the stabilizers and normal chocks. But I only use them for this when we'll be parked more than a couple of days.
I came here to say this. It takes the roll out. It improves comfort while walking around inside dramatically in our 28".

- Austin
godber is offline   Reply With Quote