Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-23-2018, 10:08 AM   #41
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Ventura County , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted S. View Post
I imagine opinions will be all over the place on this one, which is fine. In fact I encourage and respect all reasonable comments.

I have a cross country trip next year and I am struggling with what to do. I own an immaculate 2005 Ford Excursion with a bulletproofed 6.0. I pick the truck for it’s SUV body as we are a family of 6. It has been near flawless.

Would you replace it or continue with it? My trips are a month at a time and cross the US, next one is from Boston to California, up the coast and home to Boston. If all goes well, there will be two more big trips. One to Alaska, then a northern route with details TBD. These trips are 2 years apart, designed to end when my 3rd kid goes to college, she is 11 now. We also travel the east coast for spring break every 2 years. So you can see the truck will be around 20 years old on its final run if I keep it.

If I replace it I would lay out major money, for something I use just for camping a few times a year. But I would hate to have problems on the road. Struggling with this one, I have a year to figure it out. Part of me really wants to keep it as it has become a part of the family.

I herby approve you forcing your opinions on me.
I drive a 26 year old Ford F-250 . I keep up the maintence . Who says a new vehicle won't get you stuck on the road . At least I know my truck and I see a lot of them on the road some look brand new . Check everything out before your trip engine belts , oil , tires , brakes , trans fluid etc. Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 10:11 AM   #42
1 Rivet Member

2000 25' Safari
virginia beach , Virginia
Smile yes

We have a 1998 Chevy conversion and last year did over 10,000 miles of RVing. Even new vehicles break down. Don't worry, that is why we have mechanics. Spend money on trips, not shiny new vehicles unless you just want to.
Old 04-23-2018, 10:23 AM   #43
Rivet Master

Churubusco , Indiana
(jumping in without reading anything but the first post)

Personally, get AAA and go!

I full time in an 83 airstream class A, and don't own any vehicle built in this century. (My 2000 jeep technically being built in late 1999)

New vehicles are a massive amount of money, i could replace the entire drivetrain on my 86 truck for the cost of a few monthly payments on the new equivalent truck, plus it costs almost nothing to insure, etc.
Old 04-23-2018, 10:34 AM   #44
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Box Elder (formerly Long Island, NY) , South Dakota
I've taken LOTS of long, cross-country trips in various vehicles. I have a GREAT mechanic I've patronized for 20+ years. BEFORE I leave on any long trip, the vehicle I'll be driving is brought to this mechanic. I ask him if he would allow his mother to make the drive in said vehicle. He checks it THOROUGHLY and, I've NEVER had a problem after he's given me the OK. He has NEVER made "frivolous" recommendations (the way MANY dealerships do). This mechanic actually bought a Ford Aerostar van I bought new, drove for 11+ years and, logged 171,000+ miles on. His daughter "beat the crap out of it" for three more years before he sold it! A good mechanic is worth his weight in gold.
NY24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 10:39 AM   #45
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Griffin , Georgia
Would you drive a 13 year old Truck across the country? Yes

Trucks with real frames and heavier duty running gear are capable of breaking down rolling off of the dealer lot - or making 300,000 to 1,000,000 miles with relatively few issues. Part of the difference is luck, and most of it is proper maintenance coupled with not pushing the machine past its design limits frequently or considerably. The 6.0 L has some known issues that are correctable. If you have been in good shape for as long as you say, then you are still in pretty good shape. I would suggest taking the vehicle to your dealer and asking them to give it a full looking over to note anything that might make trouble on your upcoming trip. If they point something serious out, then get a second opinion from a real mechanic and deal with the problem if there is one. It is cheaper by far to repair a known heavy duty unit than to buy a new one. There are many aftermarket high performance parts sources for everything major that might break. I am not saying soup it up, I'm saying fix whatever needs it with high quality parts and enjoy the next half-million miles or so with the truck you obviously love.
You are as likely to need an alternator, tire, or brake pad on the road with a 2015 truck as you are with a 2005 truck. You can put in a new motor, new transmission, new differential (s), new transfer case, head studs, EGR cooler, HPOP, etc. for less than the difference between trade in and new/slightly used vehicle price.
Lot of words that add up to yes, I would absolutely drive a reliable 13 year old vehicle cross country. I've done it with one two years older and lived to tell about it. There are folks dragging antique trailers with antique vehicles posting here all of the time. Some of the old cars and trucks probably can't remember their first 200,000 miles. :-)
Travel Pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 10:41 AM   #46
1 Rivet Member

1993 30' Excella
Kaplan , Louisiana
I have a 1998 Dodge Ram Diesel that has 296000 miles. Have changed the transmission, complete rear end. injection pump and engine computer. I would be willing to take this truck on any long trip, in fact I plan to travel to Jackson Center in June and have no qualms of driving this truck anywhere in the USA. Have attended 15 Airstream Internationals with out a single delay except to change the transmission in Lewisburg WV 2 years ago.
jmland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 11:24 AM   #47
Rivet Polisher

1973 31' Sovereign
Mt Pleasant , North Carolina
Two (2) years ago we were going on a long 10 day cross country with our Teardrop camper. The day that we were scheduled to leave I went out to start the Jeep and nothing... the fuel pump failed!

We called Enterprise truck rental and had a replacement tow vehicle delivered to us in 2 hrs. Our 10 day trip cost ~$750 for the rental, so we never worry about a tow vehicle when we know we can get a replacement that easy and inexpensively.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160718_172032.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	483.5 KB
ID:	309379   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160721_090359.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	582.4 KB
ID:	309380  

wildhorses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 12:15 PM   #48
3 Rivet Member

Newcastle , Oklahoma
2003 Dodge RAM 2500 Cummins - Have no intentions of selling it and I take it all over the country and Canada! But, I also pull a 1979 AS so age does not scare me, only condition. Sounds like yours is in good shape. Keep It!

Good Luck
MC
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 12:43 PM   #49
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
Been using a 2003 E-350 Power Stroke Diesel for the last few years as our tow vehicle. Very capable. Love it. But, I always travel with a good toolbox. Changed out a fuel pump in school parking lot on one trip, and on a different trip to Florida had to replace the belt drive vacuum pump.

One of those diesel motors in the Excursion had some real issues.. hope it’s not your 6.0. The other thing you might want to look at is that trucks infamous “spring wrap” while towing. Here’s a good write up on it:

http://www.supermotors.net/clubs/for...le_1/index.php
boondockdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 01:13 PM   #50
3 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Green Valley Lake , California
In July 2017, I drove my 2003 F150 7700 4x4 5.4 4R100 3.73 LSD MT 33" ATs
started with 220k got 14 mpg with the oversize meats, only a camper shell and provisions in the back <500#
from San Berdoo to Atlanta and return, not so much as a hiccup.
I trust Ford again so...
I'm looking at Excursions, also. It helps if ur a "car whisperer" - the vehicle will tell ya. But always a good idea to have AAA RV Premium (200 mile tow) ;-)
Before towing, service that 4R100, install the largest tranny cooler as you can. And keep a couple 3 grand in savings in case it dies. Get one with a factory warranty and you'll get another 200k outta that Excursion.
Then listen to all the 6.0 folks (even some 7.3s)
Any incidental service will just happen (if it's gonna).
bon chance
SouthForkAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 01:28 PM   #51
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Sandy , Utah
If the truck is in as good a condition as you have said then you shouldn't have anything to worry about. Just remember that things like coolant hoses, water pumps, thermostats batteries, brake fluid, weather checked tires, and drive belts need replacing too. It is unlikely that you would have an engine or transmission mechanical problem, they are usually the best cared for parts of a car.
rocco52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 02:24 PM   #52

AUSTIN , Texas
Your initial post indicated the 6.0 had been "bulletproofed"....looking for a tow vehicle, I looked at the 6.0 and researched the Phoenix company who specializes in bulletproofing 6.0s and 6.4s. If they did the work, I'll agree with the other posters that recommend you carry a tool box for the incidental things that may give you trouble, have it checked out before you travel, and go.

Here's an article on bulletproofing the 6.0.
http://www.trucktrend.com/how-to/eng...ofing-tactics/
JustHookem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 02:56 PM   #53
4 Rivet Member

2014 28' International
Blacksburg , Virginia
Keep the Excursion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildhorses View Post
Two (2) years ago we were going on a long 10 day cross country with our Teardrop camper. The day that we were scheduled to leave I went out to start the Jeep and nothing... the fuel pump failed!
We called Enterprise truck rental and had a replacement tow vehicle delivered to us in 2 hrs. Our 10 day trip cost ~$750 for the rental, so we never worry about a tow vehicle when we know we can get a replacement that easy and inexpensively.
What model year is your Jeep wildhorses ? I have a 98 TJ same color of blue.( Hardtop sport)
133K miles, Its cool, haven't had to replace the fuel pump in it ( yet) Knock on wood !
As to the 'OP' question, absolutely use the 13 year old vehical you know instead of the vehicle you don't know.
I know the sounds my D-Ram makes that are ok, and what sounds are not okay. Sometimes I think about when we picked up our D-Ram. It was a different world. I'd like to have those 13 years back.
Ours is an 05' model Dodge CTD, has 43k miles.
It doesn't mind the AS at all.In fact I think its just getting broke in well
Make sure your headlights are in excellent shape. New bulbs or LED and have the good clear plastic, not hazy. I think headlights super important and I dislike seeing neglected headlight plastic that are completely hazed.
If the headlights are neglected, then what else is marginal ?

Keep the Excursion. Once you are in that low spot in the 'bathtub curve,' ride it as long as you can . Have a good one !
Old 04-23-2018, 06:08 PM   #54
1 Rivet Member

1988 32' Excella
Vestal , New York
Cross country driving

Since my tow vehicle is a 1996 GMC Suburban diesel and I would drive it across the country, what can I say? If your vehicle is properly maintained, age has little to do with it.
Dan Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 08:01 PM   #55
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Barker View Post
Since my tow vehicle is a 1996 GMC Suburban diesel and I would drive it across the country, what can I say? If your vehicle is properly maintained, age has little to do with it.
So true.

I would use our 1981 Bronco if I had something to tow behind it.
PaulnGina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 09:06 PM   #56
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Elk Rapids , Michigan
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4343.JPG
Views:	71
Size:	740.9 KB
ID:	309418

Yes
matthewsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 09:20 PM   #57
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Don't fear old iron or aluminum . . .

My newest tow vehicle is a 1992 Dodge 3/4-ton 4x4 W250 with a Cummins turbo diesel engine and only 202,000 miles on it; it's 26 years old, far younger than its driver. I have driven it across the U.S. many times, often towing my newest Airstream, a 1953 21' Flying Cloud, and will continue to do so until either it or I die. My backup truck is a 1990 Dodge 3/4-ton 2x4 pickup with a Cummins turbo diesel engine with only 176,000 miles on it. It is 28 years old so it's my local hauler/old man's truck.

Regular maintenance (oil, air and fuel filter changes), replacement parts (brakes, belts and tires) and scheduled fluid changes keep both trucks running and very reliable. I have great faith in these old mechanical, non-computerized trucks that are relatively simple to repair away from home, should the need ever arise. As long as my toys and women are younger than me, I'm good to go.
Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 09:43 PM   #58
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
Get a roadside assistance coverage plan and enjoy your trip.

I happen to be an owner who performs regular maintenance at/or before mileage or time dates schedules myself after dealer included services are exhausted. I also maintain paint, fabrics, hoses, belts, minor accessories, etc., throughout my ownership period.

I keep my vehicles for decades and run every vehicle's mileage well into 6 digits. Historically, I have owned two Suburbans (an '82 & '96 used as my TV) which remained under title to me for 23 and 18 years respectively. Both exceeded 290,000 before being sold. I knew the owner of the '96 who added another 80K before it was totaled in an accident so I can vouch for well maintained GM products.

Because I do all the work, I have learned all the systems and inspected for wear regularly which has added to my personal comfort level pushing truck odometers close to or exceeding 300K before concern for internal wear issues like crank shafts, etc. I also take oil samples periodically, send them off to the lab, and get reports on particulates in the oil to track internal metal wear or ring blow-by.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/engine-oil-analysis/

My current Ram TV is now 7 and is used almost exclusively for towing my Airstream. It gets regular maintenance with the best available products. For example, Rotella T-6 has been used as the oil choice since the original 600 mile break-in change. I expect it will last another fifteen or more years unless we give up road trips entirely.

Sir Tristan
Air #48582, S/SO #003, WBCCI #4584
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 10:50 PM   #59
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
2000 4.7L Tundra here...120,000 miles, bought used with 93,000 miles. Bulletproof! 5,000 mile trip, no problem. Save your $$$$.
pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 12:43 AM   #60
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Memphis , Tennessee
Yes. Have a 2005 sequoia with 180k miles on it now. I got it with 92k. I have pulled my 29' Streamline from Memphis to the Gulf of Mexico, Atlantic Ocean, Key West, Pacific Ocean, Yellowstone over the last 5 years plus a 3 week trip to Colorado every summer.
'65 Buick Electra 225 convt.
willapus is offline   Reply With Quote