Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-13-2010, 04:10 PM   #1
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Worst shore power ever

At least we had some. There were maybe 80 rigs, and 3 of these distribution points. I had to use over 100 feet of cord. Voltage dropped to around 105 when it was either cold or hot.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	49830027.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	1.58 MB
ID:	113031  
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 04:23 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1969 21' Globetrotter
Seattle & Olympic Peninsula , Washington
OMG, quick call the fire marshal that is a disaster waiting to happen!
EvelynDickinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 04:28 PM   #3
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Jammer,

Wow. How many amps each? They look like 20 amp duplex receptacles and there seem to be 10 of them. I think 10 20 amp breakers could be in the box. That would mean each RV had to run a microwave or A/C when the other guy on the same breaker wasn't. Or 20 thin breakers?

I counted 17 cables and it looked like there were maybe a few more more. The voltage drop may have been caused, entirely or partially, by the 100' distance. What was the voltage at the receptacle? Most of the cable looks like the 12 or 14 gauge stuff sold everywhere as waterproof extension cords.

If there are 20 20 amp breakers, the box and receptacles aren't dangerous, but the extension cords look like the fire danger as they may get really hot with such long runs.

And most important, where was this so we are warned?

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 10:15 PM   #4
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
The outlets are wired with separate breakers for each outlet. That is to say, the straps on each duplex pair were (presumably) cut, so that each of the two outlets in a duplex pair had its own breaker. I believe there were 24 outlets and 24 breakers. The breakers were 20 amp.

I was using 60 feet of 6 gauge cable and 75 feet of 10 gauge cable. The voltage drop seemed to be mostly at the panel because I would notice it even when I didn't have any sizable loads on.

The campground in question is not open to the public. If you're curious send me a PM but I can't post the details.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 07:29 AM   #5
Rivet Master

We took a 4000 mile trip in Mexico a few years ago. Reversed polarity, no ground, super high or super low voltages were common. Often someone who knew little about electricity had installed the wiring.
We had a kit to deal with problems. It consisted of a voltage, polarity and ground tester (one unit, available at RV supply stores). We had one of those three to two prong adapters. If the polarity was reversed we merely reversed the plug. No ground, no problem our adapter had a ground wire, we grounded to a water pipe, if there was none, we had a rebar with a clip on it to drive into the ground.
Voltage is routinely somewhat high in Mexico to protect against brownouts, but 130 or better or below 112, we didn't plug in. The converter makes lots of noise when it gets electricity it doesn't like.
If you like to stay at Bad Sam type of places, an electrical kit is a good idea.
handn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 08:15 AM   #6
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post

The campground in question is not open to the public.
Glad to know I won't stumble into it.

For those who don't play with duplex receptacles, you can wire each side to a different circuit and cut the lugs between each receptacle to separate them. The primary use for that in a house is to make one side switched for a table or floor lamp and the other always hot for some other use. Doing that at a CG saves money because they can use fewer parts, but it creates lots of potential problems.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 09:51 AM   #7
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Another reason to spend the twleve bucks to get a copy of Woodalls.