Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-04-2017, 05:44 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Wisconsin and Minnesota Summertime

Does anyone have any recommendations for state parks is our first choice the RV parks. Or because of the giant mosquitoes drive on into the Dakotas
tburnand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 06:03 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Take the Great River Road north into Wisconsin, where there are some lovely COE, local and state parks, particularly Wyalusing which is on a bluff overlooking the Wisconsin and Mississippi River confluence.....a beautiful place.

We love the drive from Duluth up the North Shore of Lake Superior, along which are stunning views of the lake and lots of state parks.

There can be mosquitoes, depends on when you go, and where, but it is a beautiful area worth exploring, in my opinion.

Enjoy!

Maggie
Old 05-04-2017, 07:44 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Ditto on Hwy 61 up the north shore of Lake Superior! Every state park is fabulous there. Our favorite state park is Bear Head Lake State Park in Ely, though. Nice fishing and swimming lake, lots of wild life, and "almost" Boundary Waters Wilderness quality. You can rent canoes from the park to explore the lake.
Be aware that in Minnesota, every state park campsite can be reserved now up to a year ahead. If you know your itinerary, you would be well served to make reservations here ahead of time. Camping has become a pastime of many people here, and state parks are very busy in the summer.
Good bug spray is a good investment. Mosquitos are the state bird, ya know.
If you need a campsite near the Twin Cities, we have courtesy parking.

Kay
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 09:19 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2016 16' Sport
West Bend , Wisconsin
If you get to eastern Wisconsin, there is a lovely state park called Point Beach, just north of Two Rivers. Lots of polished colored stones along the shore.

Then travel north and explore Door County. If you prefer solitude, I'd recommend Potowatomie State Park, just south of Sturgeon Bay. There's also Peninsula St.Park, but there are lots of people there and in the city of Fish Creek. "Pen" is a tough park to get into. "Pot" may be easier. The private RV parks in Door Co are just parking lots.
Lonekingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 11:14 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2005 30' Classic
Box Elder , SD
You requested information on State Parks, and you have some great recommendations. BUT, have you considered the Minnesota Airstream Park in Clear Lake? It really is a respite from the summer heat, aka Very Shady, and the sites for rental are reasonably priced and for the most part Very Nice!

Just a thought!

Safe travels
streamintrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 11:17 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2017 19' Flying Cloud
Madison , Wisconsin
Send a message via AIM to jtwind Send a message via MSN to jtwind Send a message via Yahoo to jtwind
Lots of great parks in Wisconsin. The ones along Lake Michigan are very nice and the breeze can help with bugs. There are lots of smaller primitive State campgrounds in the north that are sort of hidden gems, particularily in the Northern Highland State Forest. But if you want to avoid bugs in the northern states, I suggest winter camping, otherwise it's pretty hard to do.
jtwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 11:51 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
I had been a Wisconsin state park campground host for twenty years and was a top ambassador for our state parks. Due to draconian budget cuts, reorganization of the DNR and total neglect I will no longer camp in the state parks in Wisconsin much less recommend them. The final straw was when the state removed law enforcement powers from the park rangers in order to pay them less. There will be no one to enforce rules in the campgrounds. Last fall I feared for my own life while hosting in a park I camped in for more than twenty-five years. It does not take long for a criminal element to to fill a void where there is no enforcement of laws or rules. Further, the condition of the parks, toilets, fountains, beaches, paths etc. is deplorable. The state's answer is to raise camping rates and park fees and use that money for their budget deficits not the parks. My recommendation is pass by Wisconsin. Minnesota, Michigan,and even Illinois have some wonderful parks and they welcome campers.
Old 05-05-2017, 01:36 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
Post Wisconsin Parks

I agree with the post for Wyalusing State Park and the Great River Road, known on maps as Highway 35. My husband and I have spent some time on this side of the state, and it's truly gorgeous. Wyalusing has some trails that overlook the confluence of the Mississippi and Wisconsin rivers, and the bluffs rise about 400-plus feet over the rivers. The whole area is just stunning. And, an added bonus for the curious, lots of Amish--delish bakery!

Also, between La Crosse and Prairie du Chien (PdC) there are campgrounds--private, can't tell you anything one way or the other about any of them though. Wayalusing is south of PdC, and there are some state parks/natural areas north of LaCrosse that you might be able to camp at as well.
1000Miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 02:24 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
I have not thought about Clear Lake. I will look into that.
Old 05-05-2017, 02:26 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Thank you so much. I went on RvParkReviews and found that almost all of the parks whether private or state didn't have reviews for several years. That made me a little nervous.
Old 05-05-2017, 02:34 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
What a shame about the parks. Maybe that is why no one has reviewed any parks for several years.
Old 05-05-2017, 02:49 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' International
Saint Helena Island , South Carolina
Contrary to a previous post the private parks in Door County are far from parking lots. Having lived in Fish Creek nothing in northern Door fits that description.The Peninsula State Park is the most popular in the state and hard to get into.
rollieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 03:35 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
2014 30' Classic
Princeton , Iowa
Minn. Wis

I like Wisconsin parks better than MN parks. S/W Wis. has some nice parks and areas. Northern Wis. is very nice and the North Shore in MN is wonderful, we did not like the St. parks there however.

We have not had trouble with bugs.
larryglarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 04:55 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by tburnand View Post
I have not thought about Clear Lake. I will look into that.
One really nice thing about the Clear lake Airstream park is that it's quiet. We head there for 4th of July weekend often to avoid the more rambunctious folks that only go camping on holiday weekends. We are not members of the Park, but I highly recommend it as a quiet place to stay with lots of friendly people. If you golf, they have a nine hole course that is well maintained at no additional cost.

Chris
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 05:49 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Green Bay , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by tburnand View Post
Does anyone have any recommendations for state parks is our first choice the RV parks. Or because of the giant mosquitoes drive on into the Dakotas
Door County is wonderful in the summer. As mentioned, Peninsula Sate Park is beautiful. Tennison Bay is a favorite. Some but not all have electric.
For a number of years we have had a seasonal site in a wonderful private campground in Elision Bay (north of Peninsula) Hy-land Court. It is hidden treasure in Door County. Sited in a grove of mature Maples it is mostly full hookups, large sites and very quiet. Psst...don't mention that I told you about it. We will be there July and August this summer on C1. Only leaving to go to Escanaba for the WBCCI meeting.
Cheers
Excella1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 07:05 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Livingston , Texas
Our MN State Parks are very diverse and finding the tight one for you would depend on what you are looking to experience - fishing? Fly fishing? Hiking? Waterfalls? History? If you contact me I can help you further. MN has a great tourism bureau check out exploreminnesota.com website. I am also an owner at the MN Airstream Park.
Seemore2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 08:54 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Des Peres , Missouri
You have to try Door county
Great place, wonderful summer weather lots to see and do
dmbecke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 09:31 PM   #18
From Beautiful Egg Harbor

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Egg Harbor , Wisconsin
Incredible Wisconsin

Wisconsin has more lakeside up north spectacular campgrounds than you can imagine! Many fabulous state parks and countless county and local parks. Swim, hike, bike, wildlife and of course fishing from shore too. Over 10,000 lakes! Minnesota isn't bad either except for the Vikings.

Musquitoes in some areas after dark so put on spray or stay closer to the campfire.

Don't know what that Kent guy had bothering him maybe he got fired for being a jerk His assessment is fallacious
efaehw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 10:31 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

Door County CG

Great experience at Wagon Wheel CG in Ellison Bay, WI last July. Convenient to explore Door County. Peninsula was recommended but full.
Johndews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 10:39 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Efaeuw, thx for helping out.

Just fyi unlike some others this is a polite forum. And "a guy" who's camp hosted there for 20 years surely has some insight even if it's different than ours.

Looking forward to seeing all those mentioned areas.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote