Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-06-2017, 05:05 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Thanks, we are staying in Door County for 5 days at one of those "parking lot" parks.��
tburnand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 05:09 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
I am finding that everyone's idea of great camping is mixed. We prefer larger sites, clean showers, friendly neighbors, and possibly hiking and of course, wild life (four legged type).
Old 05-06-2017, 05:11 AM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Since we are from Arizona where we are almost bug free, does those foggers in a can work to keep mosquitoes from us. When we were in the Everglades last month even with deet on we were major blood donors. Any suggestions are welcome.
Old 05-06-2017, 05:13 AM   #24
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Wish I would have known. We are at Egg Harbor RV the second week of July.
Old 05-06-2017, 07:16 AM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Lumberton , Mississippi
Send a message via ICQ to Lyman
Being from Wi (leave there every winter) I would never use a state park cost to much for what you get. Are plenty of county parks and forest parks as well as private parks to use. If you want to see the beauty of the state go north off Green Bay or Madison at least a 100 miles get into the true north woods. Anything south of that is to many people. And if you want real beauty go further north to the UP that is even nicer than Wi.
Lyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 10:43 AM   #26
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
Post Additional info on WI State Parks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittenstiehl View Post
Efaeuw, thx for helping out.

Just fyi unlike some others this is a polite forum. And "a guy" who's camp hosted there for 20 years surely has some insight even if it's different than ours.

Looking forward to seeing all those mentioned areas.

Hi--not wanting to be the newbie who gets into beefs, but I'm going to gently concur with the previous poster about Kent having an axe to grind.

I have been hiking in our state parks for most of my life (I'm 44). Yes, all of the resources in our state have seen better days; I'm sure that's true nationally. But, other than weird rules about what trails dogs can be on in some individual parks, Wisconsin state parks are by and large fabulous, beautiful and worth the visit.

Kent's underlying issue is the governor, and I hope the readers understand this. I could make this a political battle and point fingers at Dems and say look at the crime in Milwaukee, and the moonscapes that the roads look like. I live IN the city and my husband is out getting a kill switch installed on our van as I type. It's that bad for car theft. The problem is prioritization of finite financial resources, and it's messy, regardless of who is in charge.

So I'll just end with regardless of where you fall on the political spectrum, GET INVOLVED, reach out to whomever is in charge and work with them. Not everyone on the "other side" is a bogeyman, nor do they always understand the issue as much as you, and could use your expertise. We're a citizen government. It's not enough to complain in a forum which is not supposed to be political.

My 2 cents.
1000Miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 12:49 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by tburnand View Post
Since we are from Arizona where we are almost bug free, does those foggers in a can work to keep mosquitoes from us. When we were in the Everglades last month even with deet on we were major blood donors. Any suggestions are welcome.
We have lived on Minnesota lakeshore for 25 years, never used chemicals for mosquitoes because I don't believe breathing chemicals or putting them on your porous skin is healthy. We are outdoors people.

Research the color clothing and cosmetic scents that attract mosquitoes. Know the time of year (July) and time of day (sunrise and sunset) when they are most active, stay away from shady brush where they hang out all day long, the heat of campfires may bring them in, the smell barbecuing near sunset. Northern Minnesota has cool evenings as a rule, and they like warm humidity, after sunset they may not be a bother. A breeze coming in off the lake is good. Wear a light-colored long sleeve shirt and pants when you are out instead of chemicals.

People lived here thousands of years before us without chemicals, so we have learned to live very comfortably in this environment as well.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 07:01 PM   #28
MBT
1 Rivet Member

2014 25' International
Northfield , Minnesota
It's our summer camp when we're not at home or on the road!
Clear Lake Airstream Park, that is.
MBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 08:36 PM   #29
1 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
ft myers , Florida
Devils lake state park is fabulous
Lyrekjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 09:56 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
A big NO to Wi state parks. I use to camp at Gov. Dodge, and was in the area and wanted to do a drive,through. They charged me $5.00 and cautioned me DONot get out of my car even to use the restroom. They said the alternative was to buy a daily pass at $20.00. ( camping is an additional charge) and I could get out of my car.
For biking, there is the daily pass, parking fee and trail fee.
There is also a yearly fee (permit/pass) available.
We camped at a private CG for less than half the cost of Wisconsin.
MJ
Airtandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 01:49 PM   #31
2 Rivet Member

I've heard enough - we set out on our road trip in a few days. Not going to Wisconsin now. I'll skip it after reading price hikes and lack of security. Well walmart it until we get to Minnesota.
Big Air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 08:31 PM   #32
Owners of Willie

2019 27' Globetrotter
Peoria , Illinois
Wisconsin and Minnesota Summertime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seemore2006 View Post
Our MN State Parks are very diverse and finding the tight one for you would depend on what you are looking to experience - fishing? Fly fishing? Hiking? Waterfalls? History? If you contact me I can help you further. MN has a great tourism bureau check out exploreminnesota.com website. I am also an owner at the MN Airstream Park.

Hmm, I’m interested. Just ordered our GT and our son lives in Minneapolis. I’ve been searching the area for something reasonably priced and near St Louis Park.
Old 08-30-2018, 09:08 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2019 19' Flying Cloud
Renville , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
We have lived on Minnesota lakeshore for 25 years, never used chemicals for mosquitoes because I don't believe breathing chemicals or putting them on your porous skin is healthy. We are outdoors people.

Research the color clothing and cosmetic scents that attract mosquitoes. Know the time of year (July) and time of day (sunrise and sunset) when they are most active, stay away from shady brush where they hang out all day long, the heat of campfires may bring them in, the smell barbecuing near sunset. Northern Minnesota has cool evenings as a rule, and they like warm humidity, after sunset they may not be a bother. A breeze coming in off the lake is good. Wear a light-colored long sleeve shirt and pants when you are out instead of chemicals.

People lived here thousands of years before us without chemicals, so we have learned to live very comfortably in this environment as well.

And I might add, eat lots of garlic! Mosquitoes hate it!
Old 08-31-2018, 11:54 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Jacksonville , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by tburnand View Post
The skeeters in the camp grounds in the Everglades are relentless. That's why bug suits, and head nets are such good sellers in the shops.

Wisconsin 2018 did not have any Everglades skeeters. We stayed at Wissota SP near Chippawa Falls, and visited the one in Cornell Wis. Both were good stays. Both had good facilities. Both seemed to have LEOs patrolling. I saw an unmarked pick up stop and give a ticket to a car at Wissota SP.

Check out the rails to trails bike paths and rivers of Wis. Stay away from big college towns and big cities and you'll find to good parks.
Overstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 11:57 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Jacksonville , Florida
PS...….if others haven't mentioned Wis. has entrance fees and camping fees. But the out of state annual entrance fee was $38. Daily out of state was maybe $11/day. So do the math. In Fla the discounted annual pass for instate is $70 for entrance fee. (entrance fee is included in camping fees in FLA)

Rails to trails have fees also. For us $5 on the honor system.
Overstreet is offline   Reply With Quote